Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

My family, husband and two kids under 3, have recently moved into town from Los Angeles. We've been renting in East Norwalk, right near the water and it's a great area...neighbors are wonderful and it's a lovely neighborhood. BUT, the schools suck and I don't want to pay for private school. We've been looking to buy a place in either Westport or Rowayton but seeing our budget is under $830k it's been very hard finding anything. We need to be near the train station as my husband Uber's to it everyday as he works in NYC. I know Rowayton schools don't compare to Westports but can anyone tell me how the Rowayton schools are? I have heard k-5 is great...an 8 on the school grades but middle school and the high school suck. Please straighten me out if I've heard incorrectly. Also, seems like harbor view is more affordable to us and it's on the water where we'd like to be. Also has that small community feel with a lot of new families with kids, which Is what we want. And it's school district is Rowayton. Can anyone tell me about Harbor View? A little worried of living there during a storm as there's only one way in and out. Thanks!! Oh and if there are any recommendations for a town that we should look into please let me know. We'd like a small community feel where you wave hi to your neighbors, families wth young kids, close to water if possible...doesn't have to be walking distance, schools above an 8 and affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 10:59 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Your impression of Rowayton schools is correct. The elementary school is okay but the middle and high schools have issues. If good schools are important, then you might want to consider other communities. Have you looked in Wilton? It is a beautiful town just north of Norwqlk so the commute would not be much different. The schools are excellent and there are a lot of amenities nearby. The town though is not as dense as Norwalk so it has a somewhat rural feel.

Your next option would be Fairfield. It seems to have the community feel you are looking for. The schools are very good and it has a lot of great shopping and restaurants. The only thing is that it is further from New York. Hard to say if that is a problem for your husband or not.

Have you looked at Weston? It is just north of Westport and may have homes in your price range. Jay

Old 06-03-2017, 04:14 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnem View Post
My family, husband and two kids under 3, have recently moved into town from Los Angeles. We've been renting in East Norwalk, right near the water and it's a great area...neighbors are wonderful and it's a lovely neighborhood. BUT, the schools suck and I don't want to pay for private school. We've been looking to buy a place in either Westport or Rowayton but seeing our budget is under $830k it's been very hard finding anything. We need to be near the train station as my husband Uber's to it everyday as he works in NYC. I know Rowayton schools don't compare to Westports but can anyone tell me how the Rowayton schools are? I have heard k-5 is great...an 8 on the school grades but middle school and the high school suck. Please straighten me out if I've heard incorrectly. Also, seems like harbor view is more affordable to us and it's on the water where we'd like to be. Also has that small community feel with a lot of new families with kids, which Is what we want. And it's school district is Rowayton. Can anyone tell me about Harbor View? A little worried of living there during a storm as there's only one way in and out. Thanks!! Oh and if there are any recommendations for a town that we should look into please let me know. We'd like a small community feel where you wave hi to your neighbors, families wth young kids, close to water if possible...doesn't have to be walking distance, schools above an 8 and affordable.
First, my condolences on the bold.

Harborview and Rowayton are meaningless names, they are part of just plain old Norwalk. Not separate towns and schools.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:54 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
What do your neighbors say about Marvin elementary by the beach. I know many there and a family member works there, the kids and parents love it. Kids are under 3, you probably (and hopefully) go back or be transferred back to LA or somewhere else by the time of middle school anyway. Rowayton Elementary is the neighborhood school for a good chunk of South Norwalk as well so you get some of that in there.
830K is perfect for East Norwalk, I made an absolute killing on real estate there - twice - once in a down market. You'll sell it in under a month when it comes time to relocate again.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:40 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
I'm not sure what you expect to get for 800k, but you can find very small homes in Greenwich at that price point, which would make your NYC access fairly easy.

It's not a coastal town, which you seem to prefer, but I agree with the suggestion of Wilton. It's a great family friendly suburb and you can either pick up the train in New Canaan (switch in Stamford) or hop on the New Haven line in Norwalk.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:53 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not sure what you expect to get for 800k, but you can find very small homes in Greenwich at that price point, which would make your NYC access fairly easy.

It's not a coastal town, which you seem to prefer, but I agree with the suggestion of Wilton. It's a great family friendly suburb and you can either pick up the train in New Canaan (switch in Stamford) or hop on the New Haven line in Norwalk.
I thought Greenwich first too but assumed if they could not find a home to their liking in Westport, they would either have already ruled it out or would have even more trouble finding what they want there. Personally I feel it would be worth it but not everyone would agree. Jay

Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
East Norwalk is a good suggestion. Good schools until kids get older. But Norwalk high schools are far from terrible. Are your kids in the schools now? I'm not sure that I would say they "suck".

I don't like Harborview. Surrounded by some of the worst neighborhoods in Norwalk with views of a power plant. No thanks.

Wilton is the first town where you'll find top rated schools and reasonable RE prices. Weston is surprisingly affordable too, compared to Westport.

The towns you describe are Fairfield and Milford honestly. Friendly, by water, close knit, neighborhood vibe, good schools, nice house for your budget. Which are far and further from NYC. To get what you want and a nice house, you're talking a longer commute. Fairfield has some express trains that aren't terribly longer than East Norwalk. 72 minutes. Milford is 90 minutes which is probably too long.

So, maybe look at Fairfield near the train station.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:06 AM

830 posts, read 1,094,390 times
Many Rowayton proper parents either move to Darien when their kids reach middle school or go private (which is why Rowayton is always full of young families). Not as familiar with the Harbor view area of Norwalk though other parents there should be able to give you an indication of the trend. If you still want a town on the sound with top schools then you would be restricted to Greenwich, Darien, or Westport where 830k does not go far. If willing to give up the sound, then you should check out Wilton/Weston as well. Also Fairfield, but the city commute starts getting extraneous.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,435 times
Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. still not entirely sure what my plan is going to be...but at least I've narrowed the search down to Westport and Westport. �� No but seriously....a few homes have some of the things I'd like but they're not perfect. Guess now I have to figure what I'm willing to sacrifice.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:45 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnem View Post
Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. still not entirely sure what my plan is going to be...but at least I've narrowed the search down to Westport and Westport. �� No but seriously....a few homes have some of the things I'd like but they're not perfect. Guess now I have to figure what I'm willing to sacrifice.
Have you looked at Fairfield?

A house near the Fairfield train station will have a shorter commute than a Westport house further from its station. There's generally more express trains from/to Fairfield too, and it's a good deal cheaper. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut