Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:40 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times

Advertisements

What are you thoughts on Rank Choice Voting being a question on the 2019 ballot for CT residents to choose or not to choose?

If RCV goes through on the 2020 ballot should it be used in the election as a way for the State to elect the President, Governor, Senators, and Congressman/Congresswoman?

Thoughts/Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 10:23 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
I vote no. I think we should change the nominating process so that we get better choices, not make voting itself more complicated. I also worry about the administration of a more complex election system. There are enough problems with the current simpler system.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:38 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,091 times
Without having read much about the methods and past experiences, I can’t say for sure, but on the surface, it seems like a good idea to me.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:23 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
No. Do not see the reason for it. Keep it simple. Jay

Old 11-10-2018, 07:17 PM

91 posts, read 125,678 times
Absolutely. It's a solution for anyone who has ever complained about the 2-party system, anyone concerned over spoiler effects, and it's really not that complicated. It seems Republicans tend to oppose it more, but it can benefit them too. It's even possible Stefanowski would have won if CT used it (I highly doubt it though, since I think Oz took from both sides and almost everyone who voted for him would've had to consider Stefanowski as their 2nd choice).

Old 11-10-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreliroth View Post
Absolutely. It's a solution for anyone who has ever complained about the 2-party system, anyone concerned over spoiler effects, and it's really not that complicated. It seems Republicans tend to oppose it more, but it can benefit them too. It's even possible Stefanowski would have won if CT used it (I highly doubt it though, since I think Oz took from both sides and almost everyone who voted for him would've had to consider Stefanowski as their 2nd choice).
I think it allow for more parties to contend for various positions

If I had the choice probably would of gone: Oz; Hanscomb; Lamont; Stefanowski; Greenstein

I also like with RCV to have open primaries. Also open and close polls 2 hours early and 2 hours later. Have electronic polls. Day of voting registration from 6AM to 6PM. Allow convicted felons to vote.

Last edited by RunD1987; 11-10-2018 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 10:13 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,565,672 times
The 2nd US congressional district election in ME will be decided by ranked choice count as no candidate received 50%. Bruce Poliquin (R) had 46.2% and Jared Golden (D) had 45.7%. Nearly 8% of the remainder of the vote went to others with two left leaning candidates getting the great majority of these. The Bangor Daily News reports that exit polling shows that the initial 2nd place candidate was selected for 2nd choice by a large number and he (Golden) is likely to win the race.

Ranked choice count election legislation was enacted in ME as candidates have been routinely getting elected to state offices in the last few years without a majority (previous 4 consecutive governor elections). ME has a history of strong third party candidates and one of its current US Senators is an Independent (Angus King). King was actually the last governor prior to this week's vote to have been elected governor with a majority back in 1998.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:38 AM

I would also be open if CT considered the last 4 Saturdays prior to Election Day to have City Halls open up from 8 to Noon to allow Early Voting.

Electronic voting machines that print out the ballot. After the voter is done making their selection the ballot is printed out and then can drop in the ballot box. The ballot would have a serial number on it and can reference it back to the data imputed based off that number. The data would be stored for 1 year.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 AM

184 posts, read 106,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I would also be open if CT considered the last 4 Saturdays prior to Election Day to have City Halls open up from 8 to Noon to allow Early Voting.

Electronic voting machines that print out the ballot. After the voter is done making their selection the ballot is printed out and then can drop in the ballot box. The ballot would have a serial number on it and can reference it back to the data imputed based off that number. The data would be stored for 1 year.
I hate the idea of electronic voting unless it is handed down by the Federal Govt and the entire Country is using the same machines.

To much BS goes on with these machines, not working, not powered up, no ink in the printers, hack-able. Cannot hack my paper ballot! My paper ballot does not need a power cord to work.

This country SHOULD be able to use electronic voting machines, but as I keep reading about in other states, it seems more to be used for disenfranchising voters then making our democracy great again.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:22 AM

538 posts, read 331,849 times
I'm for it. Republicans and Democrats have a very strong duopoly and they both try to keep the system set up in a way that only they can prosper by keeping the competition out. The populous is too strongly divided and candidate choices seem to migrate toward extremes in order to be heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut