Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't want to move again and want to stay in CT. My unemployment insurance is going to run out by Sep 5 and I'm seriously getting worried now. Every single morning and night since early March, I have been searching for jobs online and applying all over the entire state. I am working with a recruiting agency in Shelton, another one in Stamford and another one in Hartford, both of which cover the entire state. ALL of them have said that opportunities for me are almost nonexistent at this time and not a single one of them had any jobs they could submit my resume to (the client). During the entire 3 months period, there were less than 10 jobs to even apply to in the entire state. That yielded 3 phone interviews, which didn't materialize into anything further. That's it.

I am looking for a staff/senior level Tax Analyst / Tax Accountant role in private industry (no public accounting, because I don't want to work crazy hours or crazy busy seasons -- don't even suggest it). I want to work in the corporate tax department of a corporation or private company. Many people get confused about this, but that's what I want.

So, does anyone know of anything that maybe isn't posted on the internet? A bit about my background:

9 years of total tax experience (corporations, partnerships) -- 6 in income tax, 3 in indirect (sales/property and VAT taxes). I have strong knowledge of fixed assets and tax depreciation, FATCA/FBAR compliance/filings, quarterly provision and estimated tax payments, research, communication/writing, process improvement, advanced Excel skills, handling state/federal income tax notices, etc.

Target salary if in central CT: $70K
Target salary if in FFC: $75-80K

Again, please do not suggest public accounting. I would rather relocate than work in that stressful, life sucking industry. So it's NOT AN OPTION. I am NOT a CPA and have no plans to pursue. No public accounting firms with clients. I want private industry, for example, working in the tax department at Aetna or some other corporation. That's what I like.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am working with a recruiting agency in Shelton, another one in Stamford and another one in Hartford, both of which cover the entire state. ALL of them have said that opportunities for me are almost nonexistent at this time and not a single one of them had any jobs they could submit my resume to (the client).

Agencies submit those they feel have a decent shot at getting hired, as only then do they get paid.

Its obvious they do not think you'd have a shot. Corps look for more stability (longer job tenure) when they can, and in Ct, employers are not lacking for candidates. Get a long-term job under your belt wherever you can get hired, and after that, perhaps give Ct another shot.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:29 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Nep, why keep looking at corps? Why not a smaller company? It may open up other doors for you.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Your spotty job history isn't going to help. Do you have no network in the state?

Old 06-07-2017, 07:58 PM

How did his weeks non Ct phone screens go? Any positive feedback? Any hope of a face to face 1st interview?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Nep, why keep looking at corps? Why not a smaller company? It may open up other doors for you.
It doesn't have to be a corp. It could be any type of company as long as it's not a CPA firm. My last job in Middletown was not a publicly traded corp. That's fine. Nonetheless, I've been looking for anything that's not a CPA firm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Your spotty job history isn't going to help. Do you have no network in the state?
Well of course it harms me. My unstable job history is mostly due to working for unstable companies. My network is very, very minimal. I mean, I have past coworkers and references, etc. But it's not like they conveniently have a job waiting for me right NOW when I need one. Networking is typically better for people who are already employed and don't need a job NOW. Networking is an ongoing thing. You can't really just wake up and say, "I'm gonna network for jobs today," when you're unemployed. Nonetheless, I've reached out to anyone in my "network" but there's no opportunity there whatsoever. I never got a job via networking, ever. Always through online application or recruiters. This is also the case for many of my professional friends in accounting. Most of them have gotten jobs via online application or recruiters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
How did his weeks non Ct phone screens go? Any positive feedback? Any hope of a face to face 1st interview?
Let's see. The phone screening with the Columbus company went well and they have scheduled me a second phone interview for Friday with the hiring manager. This morning I had one with a company in Minneapolis with an HR person. It went alright. Then tomorrow, I have a phone interview with a couple members of the tax team at a major company in Denver (through a recruiter).

All these wonderful phone interviews in other states....WHY can't they be for jobs in CT?!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Let's see. The phone screening with the Columbus company went well and they have scheduled me a second phone interview for Friday with the hiring manager.
That's good news. First one that got to a 2nd call. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That's good news. First one that got to a 2nd call. Good luck.
Yeah but I have a lukewarm feeling about it. I know from word of mouth that it's a good company to work for. The position would be a promotion (senior level). However, the company that fired me two years ago moved their office location into a new building that's pretty darn close to this company I'm interviewing with now. They're on the same street and the only thing that's in between the two companies is a grocery store. Bad memories, to see the company that fired me to be THAT close to this potentially new employer.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah but I have a lukewarm feeling about it. I know from word of mouth that it's a good company to work for. The position would be a promotion (senior level). However, the company that fired me two years ago moved their office location into a new building that's pretty darn close to this company I'm interviewing with now. They're on the same street and the only thing that's in between the two companies is a grocery store. Bad memories, to see the company that fired me to be THAT close to this potentially new employer.

After 13 weeks w/o one face to face, be grateful this got to a 2nd phone call.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Well, judging from your responses you're still pretty clueless about how to play the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut