Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 03:57 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Poor Bridges... I hope they do a good inspection on it. How are they surviving all these hits? #BuiltTough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 05:06 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just like airline BS sitting on the runway, they need to figure this crap out. Its inhuman to have people sitting for hours in traffic on the road and not moving. THIS ISNT THE 1960s PEOPLE!!

Unless there was an explosion or liquid spill then theres no reason to affect hundreds of thousands of people just because of 1 or 2 idiots!!!

Oh boy, rant coming out, I better stop.
Cambium is one of the most mild mannered posters on here. The traffic must have been REALLY bad or him to make this kind of post. He is right, something needs to be done about the traffic between Greenwich to New Haven and fast.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:22 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Cambium is one of the most mild mannered posters on here. The traffic must have been REALLY bad or him to make this kind of post. He is right, something needs to be done about the traffic between Greenwich to New Haven and fast.
People should start MOVING AWAY from this overly congested area and into less densely populated areas! The infarstructure can't take it and critical mass has been reached.

Dare I say there might be ONE good thing about the out of control high taxes driving people out of CT!!

You'd THINK the outrageous real estate prices would drive people out of lower FFC, but I guess not.

So glad I live in a quiet suburb a few towns over from Hartford!

Old 11-02-2017, 11:26 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
*Stamford to Fairfield

Old 11-03-2017, 04:16 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
*Stamford to Fairfield
Traffic is pretty horrific on 95 at exit 27a, then again between Orange and New Haven. So, Greenwich to New Haven is a valid statement.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Come on Wishes,

We've all seen the signs that not only prohibits trucks from entering the Merritt, but also explain that bridges are too low.

Some of these truckers think they are so smart and smooth that no one will notice them breaking the law.
I think it's complicated. Some of them (particularly those who are in the area often) that is the case and it's absolutely no excuse for them whatsover. But say you live in the South or West and you come here with a truck once every year or two. It (yes, I know the lanes are slightly narrower) looks like an Interstate highway, has exits, etc. and everywhere else they go every day it is the type of road they go on all the time. The only place outside the area from CT to NJ in the US that has parkways like this is where trucks are banned is Kentucky and those parkways are very long and rural and don't have low bridge heights. Oh and just one such parkway that is between Baltimore and DC (paralleling I-95 much like the Merritt does).

Many truckers are under intense pressure to "make time" and except for those firms that are honest and put "speed governers" on the truck thus feel pressure to speed, etc. as well. We all know that under intense stress and pressure it's easy to forget things and not notice small signs, so my point is while it still "shouldn't happen", I can see where it happens to someone under stress who is doesn't really encounter parkways most of the time.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:48 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I think it's complicated. Some of them (particularly those who are in the area often) that is the case and it's absolutely no excuse for them whatsover. But say you live in the South or West and you come here with a truck once every year or two. It (yes, I know the lanes are slightly narrower) looks like an Interstate highway, has exits, etc. and everywhere else they go every day it is the type of road they go on all the time. The only place outside the area from CT to NJ in the US that has parkways like this is where trucks are banned is Kentucky and those parkways are very long and rural and don't have low bridge heights. Oh and just one such parkway that is between Baltimore and DC (paralleling I-95 much like the Merritt does).

Many truckers are under intense pressure to "make time" and except for those firms that are honest and put "speed governers" on the truck thus feel pressure to speed, etc. as well. We all know that under intense stress and pressure it's easy to forget things and not notice small signs, so my point is while it still "shouldn't happen", I can see where it happens to someone under stress who is doesn't really encounter parkways most of the time.
There is no excuse for a truck driver doing this. The road is signed to limit commercial truck vehicles. It does not look like an expressway. There are many similar parkways throughout the northeast and the Merritt has existed for 75 years now. A professional truck driver should know this. If he doesn't he should not be driving. The time pressure is caused by the employer and should not make a difference to how the roadways are used. They were not built for trucks, PERIOD. Just like truck trying to go under railroad underpasses that are signed as having low clearance or crossing bridges that have low weight limits. The driver has to be aware of the roads he is driving on and the limits of the vehicle he is driving. That is what he is being paid for so it is his responsibility. No one else. Jay

Old 11-03-2017, 08:54 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Traffic is pretty horrific on 95 at exit 27a, then again between Orange and New Haven. So, Greenwich to New Haven is a valid statement.
I agree.

The state has a plan to widen I-95 from Greenwich to New Haven but they have no way to fund it. The Federal Highway Administration has approved the use of tolls on this section of I-95 to fund a reconstruction project but the State Legislature has tabled that discussion this year. They can't agree on a budget, how can they agree on whether they should return to tolling to fund major road projects? Until they do, expect nothing to be done on I-95 except repair bridges so they don't fall down. Jay

Old 11-03-2017, 09:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
You still have one major problem on I-95 from say New Haven to NY, exit/entrance ramps. They are just to many, but what does closing some do to local road traffic is another problem entirely. This probably belongs in another thread though as its OT.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:34 AM

282 posts, read 232,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
People should start MOVING AWAY from this overly congested area and into less densely populated areas! The infarstructure can't take it and critical mass has been reached.

Dare I say there might be ONE good thing about the out of control high taxes driving people out of CT!!

You'd THINK the outrageous real estate prices would drive people out of lower FFC, but I guess not.

So glad I live in a quiet suburb a few towns over from Hartford!
It's actually the polar opposite:

People who work in the city should live in the city, so that they aren't on the road during rush hour AT ALL. If they move to less densely populated areas, they'll still need to go on those exact same overcrowded highways to get to work.

Perhaps if there was a digital toll, similar to ez-pass - checks for Connecticut traffic getting ON the highway in Fairfield County and getting OFF the highway anywhere in NYC, and vice versa - you do that more than twice a week, for more than 3 weeks in a row, they tag your plate and surcharge you $1000 per year through your registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut