Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,687 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, Me my husband and 2 (4yrs old and 6 months)little ones are seriously thinking about moving to CT(fairfield or trumball probably) but we have some concerns. First, me and my husband work in lower westchester(Yonkers and white plains), we have heard the the traffic is really crazy like everyday. Our commute will already be around 45 mins by car and I really don't want to think about actually sitting in traffic for anytime longer then that. The train isn't an option. Second Ive read stuff about CT going bankrupt and that the taxes are really high? Do they mean property taxes because for us westchester's they seem really low. Ive also read the cost of living is pretty high, what about the cost of living is high is what i would like to know because when we went there everything seemed pretty average. And PLEASE let me know if there is anything else I need to know about if there any other cons about CT or bad stuff about to go down that we need to know before we invest all of our lives savings and regret it!! Ps. I know Im asking about only the bad things but thats only because for us there are many pros and we totally fell in love and know all the great things. Please please share with me everything i need to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,407 times
Stay away from Connecticut, it is a state in bankruptcy.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:51 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Why would you move to Fairfield or Trumbull if your jobs are in Westchester? The commute would be horrible since you must commute through Stamford to get to your jobs. Makes no sense IMHO. You would be better looking for places in say northern Westchester so your commutes would be more reasonable. Post a question on the Westchester forum asking for suggestions if towns to look into. Jay

Old 05-29-2017, 08:56 PM

610 posts, read 533,743 times
I won't say anything about the financial situation since the future is unknowable, except that tax increases are very likely, in my opinion. Commuting from your preferred towns of Fairfield and Trumbull to Yonkers and White Plains would be very challenging due to the volume of traffic in that direction. Seems impractical. Stamford might be doable though, if that's possible within your budget. There's a wide range of housing available there.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,687 times
JayCT- We have looked in upper westchester and even the county above that but they are simply not in our price range. We can get way more for our money in CT. The houses are way more expensive in Westchester and the taxes are probably double. CT crosses off most the stuff on our list, we can get everything we want with low taxes vs in Westchester we would have to compromise on a lot for what we get and thats even if we go north.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:01 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
The question is what your budget for buying home we can narrow things down

Old 05-29-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina3188 View Post
JayCT- We have looked in upper westchester and even the county above that but they are simply not in our price range. We can get way more for our money in CT. The houses are way more expensive in Westchester and the taxes are probably double. CT crosses off most the stuff on our list, we can get everything we want with low taxes vs in Westchester we would have to compromise on a lot for what we get and thats even if we go north.
Sorry to hear that. Have you looked into Rockland County? Unfortunately you are moving to one if the most expensive parts of the country. Westchester does have some of the highest taxes as well. Not sure what to tell you. What is your budget? Maybe look at Stamford owners home prices are more reasonable though the schools tend to perform worse than more desirable towns. Jay

Old 05-29-2017, 09:43 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,042,126 times
Why Fairfield or Trumbull? For a commute to Yonkers or WP you would be better off looking someplace like New Fairfield or Bethel

Old 05-29-2017, 10:09 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,356,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina3188 View Post
Hey everyone, Me my husband and 2 (4yrs old and 6 months)little ones are seriously thinking about moving to CT(fairfield or trumball probably) but we have some concerns. First, me and my husband work in lower westchester(Yonkers and white plains), we have heard the the traffic is really crazy like everyday. Our commute will already be around 45 mins by car and I really don't want to think about actually sitting in traffic for anytime longer then that. The train isn't an option.
I live in Trumbull. On a good day during the rush hour you can't get to Stamford in 45 minutes, so only God knows how long it would be to Yonkers and White Plains.

Here is something you might think about. My brother and his wife live in Newtown. My sister-in-law worked in the northern part of Greenwich. She said she would have a good ride on I-84 to I-684 to Greenwich. Maybe you can look in the sections of Newtown, Danbury, Brookfield, Bethel or parts of northern Westchester* (near CT) that are near I-84/I-684.

* I am not sure what county in NY that is right next to Danbury. Maybe it is not Westchester that far north.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live in Trumbull. On a good day during the rush hour you can't get to Stamford in 45 minutes, so only God knows how long it would be to Yonkers and White Plains.

Here is something you might think about. My brother and his wife live in Newtown. My sister-in-law worked in the northern part of Greenwich. She said she would have a good ride on I-84 to I-684 to Greenwich. Maybe you can look in the sections of Newtown, Danbury, Brookfield, Bethel or parts of northern Westchester* (near CT) that are near I-84/I-684.

* I am not sure what county in NY that is right next to Danbury. Maybe it is not Westchester that far north.
It is Dutchess County. I believe that is the area she said they looked when she said the county to the north. I am surprised that they are having such trouble finding a place since they are looking at such a broad area. They may be best to rent instead of buying at first. I will say though that I would never recommend living in Fairfield or Trumbull to commute to White Plains or Yonkers. I am not even sure Danbury makes any sense for a Yonkers commute. White Plains may be okay. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut