Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 8,830 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband I are contemplating a move to Norwalk, CT. We currently live in Larchmont. We moved here about 2 years ago and in that short time we have already outgrown our very small home. It seems like the Larchmont market has intensified a lot in those few years and we have more or less been priced out of the area. Not wanting to spend 1 million + on a newer/bigger home in Larchmont, we decided to look in CT. Greenwich, Stamford & Darian are out & we really love the vibe in Norwalk so that is where we put our focus. However, going by the "greatschool.org" guide, it looks like Norwalk does not have the best "rated" schools. I know that ratings only mean so much, but coming from a district where schools are rated 8/9/10...schools that are rated 4/5 is a little concerning. I've been trying to research more about them but I can't get a good feel for why the ratings are so low. Do most people send their kids to private/magnet schools? I have a daughter entering Kindergarten in the fall and a 8 month old. So we're not really in the school grind yet, but I do want my kids to have a solid education, preferable in public schools.

I would love to hear any insight/advice/opinions regarding schools and general life in Norwalk for a younger family.

PS - We are trying to keep on the metro north train line so my husband doesn't have a crazy commute to the city, which is another reason why Norwalk is appealing.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 01:53 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
There is another poster that started a thread that lives in Norwalk and they want to move for better schools. It would be good if you give your budget too. Follow that thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-but-need.html

I had cousins that lived in Rowayton and it is very nice there. But they did not attend the high school in Norwalk. We also have friends that live in Norwalk near Darien by the Parkway which is a very nice area. Their child was home schooled online for high school and maybe even jr. high.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Depending on budget you could try Westport.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:10 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
There is another poster that started a thread that lives in Norwalk and they want to move for better schools. It would be good if you give your budget too. Follow that thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...-but-need.html

I had cousins that lived in Rowayton and it is very nice there. But they did not attend the high school in Norwalk. We also have friends that live in Norwalk near Darien by the Parkway which is a very nice area. Their child was home schooled online for high school and maybe even jr. high.
That poster does not have kids in the schools though. I think the OP is looking for real anecdotes.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:30 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That poster does not have kids in the schools though. I think the OP is looking for real anecdotes.
They have a daughter entering kindergarten. I think they are concerned about the schools. Jay

Old 06-06-2017, 03:40 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali518 View Post
Hello,

My husband I are contemplating a move to Norwalk, CT. We currently live in Larchmont. We moved here about 2 years ago and in that short time we have already outgrown our very small home. It seems like the Larchmont market has intensified a lot in those few years and we have more or less been priced out of the area. Not wanting to spend 1 million + on a newer/bigger home in Larchmont, we decided to look in CT. Greenwich, Stamford & Darian are out & we really love the vibe in Norwalk so that is where we put our focus. However, going by the "greatschool.org" guide, it looks like Norwalk does not have the best "rated" schools. I know that ratings only mean so much, but coming from a district where schools are rated 8/9/10...schools that are rated 4/5 is a little concerning. I've been trying to research more about them but I can't get a good feel for why the ratings are so low. Do most people send their kids to private/magnet schools? I have a daughter entering Kindergarten in the fall and a 8 month old. So we're not really in the school grind yet, but I do want my kids to have a solid education, preferable in public schools.

I would love to hear any insight/advice/opinions regarding schools and general life in Norwalk for a younger family.

PS - We are trying to keep on the metro north train line so my husband doesn't have a crazy commute to the city, which is another reason why Norwalk is appealing.

Thank you!
Norwalk is a small city so it has some of the issues you would find in a city including lower performing schools. In general the elementary schools seem fine but once you get to middle and high school levels, issues seem to come to light. In my experience, those years come up very fast. Many then chose to send their kids to private schools at that point or move to a town with better schools. It is up to you if this is what you want to do. Jay

Old 06-06-2017, 04:50 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali518 View Post
Hello,

Thank you!
East side of town is great. Some leave, many stay. That "move before middle and HS thing" gets a little overdone here. Personally I thought the middle and HS were cupcakes and peaches. No fights, never attacked, High Honors in AP classes all the way through, then Masters and a CFA in higher Ed, not bad.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This was in the OP's first post......
"I would love to hear any insight/advice/opinions regarding schools and general life in Norwalk for a younger family."

I am telling the OP that the friends & relatives I know that live/lived in Norwalk did not have their kids go to the high school at the least. I think one child did not go to the jr. high school either. Even if your kids are not in school yet most people with kids are looking for a good school system in the town they buy into. I personally don't know anything about the schools but I am just passing along information about how the kids went to school there.

I did say that Rowayton and the area near Darien is nice in Norwalk. My cousins had a great life style in Rowayton but they did not go to the Norwalk HS. I had a nice life style also when my aunt would take me to Bayley Beach in Rowayton. I loved it there.

Last edited by CTartist; 06-06-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 07:38 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
East side of town is great. Some leave, many stay. That "move before middle and HS thing" gets a little overdone here. Personally I thought the middle and HS were cupcakes and peaches. No fights, never attacked, High Honors in AP classes all the way through, then Masters and a CFA in higher Ed, not bad.
You'd think they were entering a war zone starting in 6th grade.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:53 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Hmm I would never group Larchmont and Norwalk together so this seems like an odd comparison (yea, maybe Rowayton, but doubt you will get much more for your money in home price). You would save on taxes however vs. Westchester. If you could spend the $1M you could get into some parts of Greenwich which like Larchmont is diverse but well off, good schools, some international population, not as bad a commute, etc. Can you invest instead in expanding your home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut