Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 PM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I'd be interested in seeing data- not anecdotes- that even one county in Florida that pays starting teachers less than $30,000. I could be wrong but I truly doubt that is the case. One of the lowest paying Florida counties- by average salary- is Alachua County and its starting salary for new teachers is $35,000.
Check the website below. It gives the average salaries of teachers throughout the State of Florida. It shows that there are four counties that pay less than $40,000 per year in Florida with Holmes County paying an average of $33,202 per year. Gadsden County pays an average of $35,474 per year. Remember that this is the average salary being paid so starting salaries are usually much less.

Overall the average in Florida is $48,179 per year. In Connecticut it is $69,397. That is a 30% difference. Even if you take into account taxes and a questionable cost-of-living difference, that is significantly less. Jay

Florida Teacher Salaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 02:24 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Check the website below. It gives the average salaries of teachers throughout the State of Florida. It shows that there are four counties that pay less than $40,000 per year in Florida with Holmes County paying an average of $33,202 per year. Gadsden County pays an average of $35,474 per year. Remember that this is the average salary being paid so starting salaries are usually much less.

Overall the average in Florida is $48,179 per year. In Connecticut it is $69,397. That is a 30% difference. Even if you take into account taxes and a questionable cost-of-living difference, that is significantly less. Jay

Florida Teacher Salaries
Southern states in general pay less than Northeast states but COL is overall is less

Old 10-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Southern states in general pay less than Northeast states but COL is overall is less
According to the CNN Money Cost of Living Calculator the equivalent salary in Tallahassee to $69,000 here in Connecticut would be over $56,000. That is a lot higher than the average teacher's salaries found in those counties I mentioned. Jay

Old 10-03-2017, 03:15 PM

617 posts, read 539,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBritainCT_native89 View Post
I can't wait to leave Florida and leaving back to Connecticut. This state is horrible- I don't know why any companies from Conn would go to that sinkhole.
FL is hell of "sinkhole": in top 3 states by GDP, generally very good to excellent infrastructure, hospitals, beaches, cheap seafood year around.
Yes, wages are lower than CT, but COL is also much lower, their prop. taxes are half of CT, and no income tax.
The only negatives are hot months May to September, and hurricanes, but there's always a tradeoff - in CT you get brutal winters, weak economy, generally poor infrastructure, extortion level taxation with no relief in site.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
FL is hell of "sinkhole": in top 3 states by GDP, generally very good to excellent infrastructure, hospitals, beaches, cheap seafood year around.
Yes, wages are lower than CT, but COL is also much lower, their prop. taxes are half of CT, and no income tax.
The only negatives are hot months May to September, and hurricanes, but there's always a tradeoff - in CT you get brutal winters, weak economy, generally poor infrastructure, extortion level taxation with no relief in site.
Sorry but I disagree with your contention that Florida has good to excellent hospitals. While there are a few, Florida is a very large state and overall medical care is not good. In fact in some parts it borders on malpractice.

Also as I pointed out the difference in cost of living for teachers there does not makes up for the difference in pay. I have several friends and family members that say the same thing when they looked into moving there.

I do not consider Connecticut's winters to be brutal. We get a couple of bad snowstorms each year but I would say the constant heat and humidity is much more brutal. This of course is my personal opinions. Jay

Old 10-03-2017, 05:51 PM

1,241 posts, read 904,170 times
According to the site below the starting salary in Holmes County is $33,847.

http://www.hdsb.org/_cache/files/2/1...al-version.pdf

Quote:

Florida Teacher Salaries

Old 10-04-2017, 02:54 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,627,276 times
I don't understand why it's legal to give preferential tax treatment to some companies and not others.

Has that ever been debated at its core?

I remember a lot of talk during the previous administration about how the 'government shouldn't be picking winners and losers' - i guess that line of thinking doesn't extend to state governments?

Old 10-04-2017, 04:05 AM

143 posts, read 107,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
I still rather live in Connecticut! Crime is too much here and I cannot stand it.

I was more stable living in Connecticut and just cannot wait to get my life back. Besides, Connecticut is way beautiful than Florida. That state is no paradise, no way.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
Quote:

Florida Teacher Salaries
You are going with the lowest salary in the state. A part of fl that very little people lives in. Everyone knows that rural areas of the south underperform and bring states data down in every shape of form. In every state. People that move from northern states are not moving to rural areas, but are thrown off when they do state by state comparisons which is not far because state wise ct,ma,ny overall state wise do better compared to a state like nc,va,sc but when you do city by city comparison that is where the south shines because it's cities are better than northern cities but people tend to leave city to city comparison out for that reason

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.brade...e34913583.html according to the artical this city is starting teacher A lot more than 33k

Old 10-04-2017, 08:35 AM

617 posts, read 539,120 times
Quote:
Sorry but I disagree with your contention that Florida has good to excellent hospitals. While there are a few, Florida is a very large state and overall medical care is not good. In fact in some parts it borders on malpractice.

I'm not sure what you base your opinion on about hospitals in FL vs CT. I don't think there's any objective measurements about hospital performance in this country, and those published ratings are mostly BS paid for by hospitals themselves to attract more business.
FL is a rich state with huge tax base, no visible budget issues, unlike CT which balances on the verge of bankruptcy, so there's no real life reason why would FL medical care be any worse to CT or any other north east state.
I personally only had experience with dentists in FL Boca Raton, and CT New Haven, and FL experience was by a mile superior in terms of cost and quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut