Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:00 PM

21,626 posts, read 31,221,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
1) All of CT does not have the same COL as the areas of FFC that are easily accessible to NYC.

2) If you want to live in a quality area of NC or the Carolina's in general it is not as cheap as you think.

Case in point. I am thinking about the Charleston area too for retirement but I want to be near the beaches in a quality town. I am not gong to spend my retirement in a not so nice place just because it's cheap. I know people who have moved to Mount Pleasant SC (near Charleston) and really like it. My brother has been there and he tells me it is really nice too. Guess what, I have been tracking Mount Pleasant and it is getting more expensive each passing month.

Mount Pleasant is slightly more expensive than Branford.
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Guilford and Mount Pleasant are about the same. Madison is slightly more than Mount Pleasant. I do want to get down and see the city of Charleston and I am sure it is a great place but that does not mean it is going to very cheap there.
So, Charlotte is not a quality area? There are beautiful suburbs near CLT where the cost of living is a fraction.

Amazing how people who have zero experience living in both places seem to know what's what.

Last edited by Yac; 07-28-2017 at 06:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
But you can go 20 to 30 mins outside of Raleigh and the median home value drop close to 150 to 175k . And property taxes are a lot lower

https://m.trulia.com/property/322706...leigh-NC-27610. Taxes last year were 1800 .

https://m.trulia.com/property/327011...leigh-NC-27616. Or this one for 250k and taxes were 2100
Finally, someone who has a clue.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
But you can go 20 to 30 mins outside of Raleigh and the median home value drop close to 150 to 175k . And property taxes are a lot lower

https://m.trulia.com/property/322706...leigh-NC-27610. Taxes last year were 1800 .

https://m.trulia.com/property/327011...leigh-NC-27616. Or this one for 250k and taxes were 2100
Your point is pointless.

I'm not talking about 20-30 miles outside of Raleigh. The OP is asking about the Raleigh metro area itself, so I gave her an answer that pertains to the Raleigh metro area itself.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,867,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Your point is pointless.

I'm not talking about 20-30 miles outside of Raleigh. The OP is asking about the Raleigh metro area itself, so I gave her an answer that pertains to the Raleigh metro area itself.
Nobody said miles. I said mins.... but even with that being said 20miles outside of Raleigh is still metro raleigh.. Just thought I'll throw that out for those who don't know

Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,159,452 times
OP, you currently work at Yale? You are aware of the college tuition for children of employees benefit at Yale? From your posts, I'm thinking your children are young and your RA position may be fixed duration, but you could probably keep it going, good RAs are in demand there. The tuition benefit is very generous. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:32 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP_830 View Post
Husband and I live in Central CT. We came about 7 years ago and have struggled since (largely in part because we grew our family with two children and the cost of daycare has really kept us from bettering ourselves financially). We are getting tired of being part of the struggling middle class and have been researching new places to live, one of which is the Research Triangle area of North Carolina. Has anyone lived there? Is the "grass" really "greener?" It makes me nervous to move my family but we want a home where payments aren't largely going to taxes, where my girls could be in good public schools and we can visit nice restaurants/outdoors areas nearby, where it is diverse, and where money can go farther than barely getting by. Thoughts?
I do not about the costs so I cannot compare them. But I know numerous people including friends and customers who have moved down there and I do not know a single one of them who has come back.

North Carolina seems to be the in place now although Florida is still popular and occasionally you here about Georgia or South Carolina as well. The main thing that concerns me in your case is the schools down there. In North Carolina, I believe the school districts maybe countywide instead of local like up here in the north. Not sure. Since you have two young children that maybe important.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,159,452 times
I've been told that sometimes folks don't come back BC they are unable to afford getting back into the system up here.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:53 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I've been told that sometimes folks don't come back BC they are unable to afford getting back into the system up here.
Lol... that's crap

Old 07-06-2017, 04:41 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Anyone who tells you the cost of living of both NC and CT is comparable has never lived in both places. Look back on certain poster's history and you'll see a pattern of obsessively defending CT.

Anyway, I did a temporary assignment in CLT years ago. Great area, up and coming, and I've heard it's only gotten better. That said, I wouldn't move there. Feels like you're on an island hours away from the nearest civilization. Not sure what Raleigh is like, but I'd assume similar.

Cost of living is less than half in NC, without a doubt.
It is indeed cheaper but from central CT to the Research Triangle your no where near 50% cheaper. More like 15% maybe 20%. It also depends on how much you make NC has a flat tax so in general less wealthy people pay more tax in NC then the wealthy with things like the grocery tax as mentioned.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
It is indeed cheaper but from central CT to the Research Triangle your no where near 50% cheaper. More like 15% maybe 20%. It also depends on how much you make NC has a flat tax so in general less wealthy people pay more tax in NC then the wealthy with things like the grocery tax as mentioned.
Where are you getting your numbers from - or are you just guessing?

Raleigh is 27% cheaper than New Haven. It's over 40% cheaper than Bridgeport/Stamford. Home prices are half of what they are in greater New Haven, and 1/3 of Bridgeport/Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut