Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 07:47 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Wow, Not only has this thread given me the Zen slap I wasn't looking for (everybody has been kind to me, thank you all...) but the "reality" of frustrtion it must be to be residents and not feel as though you have any say to those running the state and running off w/ your $$$.

I want to repeat this, and when I type it, it almost hurts. I really like Connecticut.
I would really like to live there as my 1st and #1 choice (my throat is getting tight as I type)
and when I recognize there are several things that you all seem to be punished for, (excuse me for a lack of words), it just seems like the ppl who are running the state are raking you over the coals and stuffing their bank accounts while you get to pay for it all.

Its like watching your loved ones being abused. I used to live in CT for 50 years, and have been away for 14 years and want to "come home". As you get to a certain age you do have to look at the dollars you'll be paying out.. like there are some states that don't tax your pension, or your SS, etc.. and OH HOW I WISH CT had a small nugget to offer so DH would
consider in a "Say YES" sort of way. Sure, I'm leaning in, but he's been the major bread winner, and I do truly respect that and his reasoning. I can't tell you all just how much I want to be driving through my old familiar places of most of my life. The world away from it is wonderful and different but no matter what, there really is nothing like the dignity and pride of the people of CT that stand tall and do truly understand what it is to love their town.

There was a time when DH said 'he'd never leave CT'. Oh to reel in those words and make them stick. The reality is that there's a lot of discontent in some of the replies and you've been hurt, and it's the truth. Venting a little is good, and doing with CT Yankee sarcasm is better..that's what I miss too.

I hate it that DH wants to look into Pennsylvania.. he has a list of attractive tax reasons I won't mention. But really, its pretty there, but its just not.. you know... CT.

Anybody want to adopt me?

Thanks everyone. I will miss you. Jay, you too.. thanks for driving the train.
Do not listen to the naysayers here. They never have a good thing to say and judge everything by what comes out of their pockets. They also think the grass is greener anywhere else but the truth be told, it is not. It all depends what you value most. If the things that are great about our state are important to you, then go for it. If the things the naysayers say are important, then you might be better off somewhere else. I think you should be honest with your husband and say what you want. Give him the pros and the cons and hope that he values the pros over the cons. Good luck. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 PM

610 posts, read 533,286 times
Quote:
Wow, Not only has this thread given me the Zen slap I wasn't looking for (everybody has been kind to me, thank you all...) but the "reality" of frustrtion it must be to be residents and not feel as though you have any say to those running the state and running off w/ your $$$.

I want to repeat this, and when I type it, it almost hurts. I really like Connecticut.
I would really like to live there as my 1st and #1 choice (my throat is getting tight as I type)
and when I recognize there are several things that you all seem to be punished for, (excuse me for a lack of words), it just seems like the ppl who are running the state are raking you over the coals and stuffing their bank accounts while you get to pay for it all.

Its like watching your loved ones being abused. I used to live in CT for 50 years, and have been away for 14 years and want to "come home". As you get to a certain age you do have to look at the dollars you'll be paying out.. like there are some states that don't tax your pension, or your SS, etc.. and OH HOW I WISH CT had a small nugget to offer so DH would
consider in a "Say YES" sort of way. Sure, I'm leaning in, but he's been the major bread winner, and I do truly respect that and his reasoning. I can't tell you all just how much I want to be driving through my old familiar places of most of my life. The world away from it is wonderful and different but no matter what, there really is nothing like the dignity and pride of the people of CT that stand tall and do truly understand what it is to love their town.

There was a time when DH said 'he'd never leave CT'. Oh to reel in those words and make them stick. The reality is that there's a lot of discontent in some of the replies and you've been hurt, and it's the truth. Venting a little is good, and doing with CT Yankee sarcasm is better..that's what I miss too.

I hate it that DH wants to look into Pennsylvania.. he has a list of attractive tax reasons I won't mention
. But really, its pretty there, but its just not.. you know... CT.

Anybody want to adopt me?

Thanks everyone. I will miss you. Jay, you too.. thanks for driving the train.
It's true that Penna. doesn't tax retirement income, including IRA distributions. This is very attractive. But it does have fiscal problems--you (and husband) need to be prepared in case the state decides that they have to reduce or eliminate the exemption at some point. While it's great for those who enjoy it, it really makes no sense--income is income and should be taxed accordingly.

Also Penna. has a rather funky estate/inheritance tax--have you looked into that?

Old 07-29-2017, 06:20 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
OMG!! I just read aloud my post and the last three responses. CTartist, the information you shared will change my life, Robert137 you brought up inheritance tax that DH agreed with, and Jay, you wiped the screen of doubt away... thank you for making a difference in our future.

Yes, DH was receptive and I looked up the tax break..
Thank you for the nugget i was looking for!!

I didn't know there were ANY but at LOOK at this! I think a lot of you will be surprised..
(you have all saved me from the breaking heart I was about to have)...

PLEASE if you have any thoughts on this.. now is the time to speak positively.

LOCAL OPTION PROPERTY TAX RELIEF FOR SENIORS

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0222.htm

See, you beleivers in CT keep standing tall. I'm so proud of you!

Old 07-29-2017, 06:59 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
OMG!! I just read aloud my post and the last three responses. CTartist, the information you shared will change my life, Robert137 you brought up inheritance tax that DH agreed with, and Jay, you wiped the screen of doubt away... thank you for making a difference in our future.

Yes, DH was receptive and I looked up the tax break..
Thank you for the nugget i was looking for!!

I didn't know there were ANY but at LOOK at this! I think a lot of you will be surprised..
(you have all saved me from the breaking heart I was about to have)...

PLEASE if you have any thoughts on this.. now is the time to speak positively.

LOCAL OPTION PROPERTY TAX RELIEF FOR SENIORS

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0222.htm

See, you believers in CT keep standing tall. I'm so proud of you!
I am so glad I can help. That list is from 2012 and some of the towns have gotten better. Here is another thing to bear in mind. There are also programs from the state that will help low income seniors with help paying utilities, rent etc. But the combined help from the property tax relief from the state and from the towns is much better. If you are fortunate enough to be able to buy even a modest condo (frankly in retirement what more do you need) in the end you will get more help with property tax relief than renters relief if you pick an appropriate town.

Another thing to bear in mind is, yes we have high taxes because we are a benevolent state to those of lessor means. If there is a surviving spouse with less income and needs help I doubt you will get it from the states down south who tout how low their taxes are. They do not believe in that philosophy. For me it is kind of a peace of mind thing to know that the surviving spouse will get help in CT if needed.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 AM

Here is another thing to bear in mind. This is one of the reasons I a looking into Branford/Guilford/Madison. There is the CT Hospice in Branford. It is a wonderful facility and was the first hospice in the US. They will take anyone even if they can't pay. I am sure they have many wealthy benefactors.

"Connecticut Hospice serves anyone in need — regardless of ability to pay."
The Connecticut Hospice - 203-315-7500 First Hospice in America

Here is another thing I have come to find our by helping some of my relatives. If you are married and your spouse needs to go into a nursing home the state WILL NOT make you sell your home. The home or condo must be under a certain value, I think I remember $250,000 and your income under a certain amount. So that means the surviving spouse can stay in the property. After the surviving spouse dies then the state takes whatever is left of the value of your home/condo.

Most people look at the immediate up front savings on property taxes and state taxes but you need to bear in mind the long term (20+ years out) and will another state give you these things. You would need to compare each state to CT.

Last edited by CTartist; 07-29-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 08:33 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
My husband has been looking at the tax relief list and is doesn't fall within their guidelines. ...but he has been online all morning looking for lesser taxed towns, etc... he isn't retired and has a few years ahead until he does retire. Naturally, he wants to protect the funds for as long as possible, don't we all. Moving to CT for him would be a score if he could find a town with their own economical electric company, and he would feel like he was saving a little something, or towns with lower taxes and lower crime stats.

There are some towns that probably fit the bill.

I am elated he's even looking at homes for sale on Realtor dot com in CT,
as I type this. (I am aflutter). Thanks.. we are looking at houses in CT!!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
My husband has been looking at the tax relief list and is doesn't fall within their guidelines. ...but he has been online all morning looking for lesser taxed towns, etc... he isn't retired and has a few years ahead until he does retire. Naturally, he wants to protect the funds for as long as possible, don't we all. Moving to CT for him would be a score if he could find a town with their own economical electric company, and he would feel like he was saving a little something, or towns with lower taxes and lower crime stats.

I am just curious, where did you live in CT? Do you still have family friends there? Is that the area in CT you would like to retire?

I do see people on here talking about Wallingford and how the electric bills are affordable. I do think they must have their own electric company. I bet Jay and others can elaborate on that.

I know what you mean about finding a safe affordable town with decent taxes. I can tell you for me it is kind of like putting a puzzle together. Use the list of towns with good senior relief and look at the data on this site and others. Another thing to do is use the "search" feature on this site and put in a town name. You will see conversations about that town. I have been doing that also.

If you could give us an idea of how much you want to spend on a property and the area of CT, posters would be able to give more advice.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:46 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:

Wallingford is the only town I know that has its own electricity service. Taxes are reasonable too. May be your best option. Good luck. Jay

Old 07-29-2017, 06:14 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:

If you are willing to live in the Hartford area or eastern CT you can find lower taxes. If you are looking for shoreline I don't think you will find low taxes or instead you will find low taxes but high property values. Greenwich is a great example of this. I highly doubt one can find a property in Greenwich under 500k (unless it needs lots of work or is next to the train tracks)

I do not know the the tax rates off hand, but it may be possible to move in 10-20 miles from the shoreline and find low(er) taxes. Essex, Chester, or Salem might work.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:55 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If you are willing to live in the Hartford area or eastern CT you can find lower taxes. If you are looking for shoreline I don't think you will find low taxes or instead you will find low taxes but high property values. Greenwich is a great example of this. I highly doubt one can find a property in Greenwich under 500k (unless it needs lots of work or is next to the train tracks)

I do not know the the tax rates off hand, but it may be possible to move in 10-20 miles from the shoreline and find low(er) taxes. Essex, Chester, or Salem might work.
True, southern Fairfield County and coastal Middlesex have reasonable property taxes, but mil rates in many Hartford area towns are staggeringly high. West Hartford and Glastonbury are insane. I did notice in the second tier Hartford area towns, you can start to find more reasonable rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut