Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPack2017 View Post
You do realize that every student takes the exact AP exam, right? The curriculum is exactly the same regardless of the state or district. So despite the superiority you clearly project upon CT schools, a kid taking an AP course there is doing the exact same work that someone in South Dakota is doing.

I'm going to guess that you are employed in the public sector, given the lack of importance that you attribute to efficiency.

FYI, New Trier (as well as numerous other suburban Chi districts) are just as highly ranked as your vaunted CT schools. So much for that giant bureaucracy resulting in something that can't be found in the humble Midwest. Oh, and before you bash Chicago's schools, do we even need to talk about Bridgeport, Waterbury etc? CT schools arent anything that can't be found in any suburban area across the country.
No, I am not public employee but i do care about quality education for our youth. I see that New Tier spends a LOT of money to educate their kids, more than $15,000 per student back in 2007. At that time Darien was spending about the same amount, $15,600 in 2010. So which school district spends money more efficiently?

New Tier is a massive high school with more than 4,200 students. That is an insanely big school. Ask any educator and they will tell you it is much easier for a student to get lost in such a large school. There are numerous complaints online from parents that the school is just too big and unorganized. Darien has 1,300 students which is much more manageable.

There is bullying in just about every high school, even New Tier. Just look at reports that can be found online. Again I have no idea what more you expect the school to have done.

Nobody here mentioned Chicago schools so I have no idea why you bring them or Bridgeport or Waterbury. They have nothing to do with what we are talking about. Jay

Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM

417 posts, read 600,911 times
Don't mean to be harsh here:

I think there is more onus on you and your son than there is on the teachers in this regard. Plenty of people at DHS (I reckon the majority who take APs) score 4s and 5s on the exams.

I barely studied for my APs, went to a school that is a step below DHS's academics (Cheshire), and had no trouble getting 5s on my exams.

Also, newsflash:
Mock exams are never the real thing. There are many factors that can influence one's score during an actual examination that you cannot control for. (harder exam, stress/pressure, mood, etc)

Who is to say he wouldn't have ended up getting 3s had he still been at New Trier?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:58 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
I'm just going to throw out there that CT is one of the hardest states (if not the hardest, at least next to MA) for teachers to get certified in. The programs and testing are rigorous.

Also, I took AP/exams class in FFC. It is a streamlined, standardized test--however, as he took the exams here and not back in IL, I'm inclined to say perhaps it was just based on school and class size and attention given.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I got 4's on my AP tests with pretty minimal self study.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 AM

13 posts, read 12,861 times
FYI, there are two New Trier HS campuses.

Freshmen have their own campus to help them adjust to high school. Thus, your figure of 4200 students on the same campus is flat-out wrong. Yes, it is a big school but class sizes are very reasonable and every teacher quickly responds to emails, requests for meetings, etc. Every teacher is required to maintain a Google Classroom page where all handouts, test reviews, etc are posted.

I won't even get into how much more modern the sports facilities are at New Trier.

You should try seeing the world beyond your all too apparent east coast bias once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, I am not public employee but i do care about quality education for our youth. I see that New Tier spends a LOT of money to educate their kids, more than $15,000 per student back in 2007. At that time Darien was spending about the same amount, $15,600 in 2010. So which school district spends money more efficiently?

New Tier is a massive high school with more than 4,200 students. That is an insanely big school. Ask any educator and they will tell you it is much easier for a student to get lost in such a large school. There are numerous complaints online from parents that the school is just too big and unorganized. Darien has 1,300 students which is much more manageable.

There is bullying in just about every high school, even New Tier. Just look at reports that can be found online. Again I have no idea what more you expect the school to have done.

Nobody here mentioned Chicago schools so I have no idea why you bring them or Bridgeport or Waterbury. They have nothing to do with what we are talking about. Jay

Old 08-12-2017, 11:26 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
You should try seeing the world beyond your all too apparent east coast bias once in awhile.
So you just joined the forum, huh? Welcome, by the way.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:05 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
NoPack
Ct bashing is pretty normal for the course here, but I told you the one thing you cannot go after is the affluent public schools, that is off limits. They are among the greatest public schools in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:39 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
FYI, there are two New Trier HS campuses.

Freshmen have their own campus to help them adjust to high school. Thus, your figure of 4200 students on the same campus is flat-out wrong. Yes, it is a big school but class sizes are very reasonable and every teacher quickly responds to emails, requests for meetings, etc. Every teacher is required to maintain a Google Classroom page where all handouts, test reviews, etc are posted.

I won't even get into how much more modern the sports facilities are at New Trier.

So the freshman campus is about 1,000 students and the other is over 3,000? That is still ridiculously large. And I would never judge a school on their sports facilities. They are nice to have but do little for the quality of education. And given how much money the school district spends they better be nice but which school district is being more wasteful with taxpayers money?

Also you know nothing about me or the other posters here so don't be so quick to judge or criticize us. I have not been critical of your beloved New Tier High School. I am just presenting facts that you seem to be defensive about. If anyone has the bias here it is you. It is evident in every post you have made. Jay

Old 08-13-2017, 08:21 AM

30 posts, read 34,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So you just joined the forum, huh? Welcome, by the way.
He's taking criticism about as well as Aaron Rodgers does.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 12,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP1216 View Post
He's taking criticism about as well as Aaron Rodgers does.
Friendly bunch here.

What's with the Packers bashing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut