Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM

761 posts, read 605,883 times

Advertisements

I don't even know if there is such a thing, but I for one happen to like CT and just wondered if there is a hidden gold ring to moving to the state, (besides your fabulous Italian food, amazing parks, beautiful beaches, train service to Hartford up ahead)..

Like might there be some kind of little nugget to encourage out of state buyers to move in. DH works from home, and I work for him.

Okay, maybe it a pie in the sky hope, but how would I know unless I asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:21 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,237,674 times
Nope, none that i know of. Want to buy my house?

Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,981,397 times
You'll have the privilege of paying an ever-increasing amount of taxes for an ever-decreasing amount of services.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 PM

10,150 posts, read 15,029,716 times
Nope!

CT is offering the 'think twice before moving here' incentive.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:45 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
I don't even know if there is such a thing, but I for one happen to like CT and just wondered if there is a hidden gold ring to moving to the state, (besides your fabulous Italian food, amazing parks, beautiful beaches, train service to Hartford up ahead)..

Like might there be some kind of little nugget to encourage out of state buyers to move in. DH works from home, and I work for him.

Okay, maybe it a pie in the sky hope, but how would I know unless I asked?
Well, I hope to be moving back. Not exciting or earth shattering news, I know.

But I always did like the beaches and I find most of the people to be down to earth. No Italian food for me, thanks, but you have a lot of real restaurants, as opposed to all fast food or chains like some places. You have good museums too. Bradley has cheap international flights and it's easy to get to in the greater Hartford area. Connecticut is also a nice state for scenery. You're near NYC.

Compare that to living where I live, north of Boston. You want to see high prices for everything? Even the cost of electricity is like caviar around here. The Boston area is all about keeping up with the Joneses and housing prices are some of the highest in the country. Very crowded too in that area with no space for expansion. Also, Massachusetts is Boston-centric. They seem to keep everything for themselves and forget about the rest of the state. In CT you have Hartford and also New Haven. So this spreads things out a bit rather than having one city that has it all and neglects the rest of the state.

We have a state sales tax, excise tax for cars too, but I don't think our taxes are as high as yours. We DID used to be called Taxachusetts but they sorta fixed that, although we do have a state income tax. I don't like your high taxes either but I like the state enough to be moving there.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 PM

14,066 posts, read 13,977,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, I hope to be moving back. Not exciting or earth shattering news, I know.

But I always did like the beaches and I find most of the people to be down to earth. No Italian food for me, thanks, but you have a lot of real restaurants, as opposed to all fast food or chains like some places. You have good museums too. Bradley has cheap international flights and it's easy to get to in the greater Hartford area. Connecticut is also a nice state for scenery. You're near NYC.

Compare that to living where I live, north of Boston. You want to see high prices for everything? Even the cost of electricity is like caviar around here. The Boston area is all about keeping up with the Joneses and housing prices are some of the highest in the country. Very crowded too in that area with no space for expansion. Also, Massachusetts is Boston-centric. They seem to keep everything for themselves and forget about the rest of the state. In CT you have Hartford and also New Haven. So this spreads things out a bit rather than having one city that has it all and neglects the rest of the state.

We have a state sales tax, excise tax for cars too, but I don't think our taxes are as high as yours. We DID used to be called Taxachusetts but they sorta fixed that, although we do have a state income tax. I don't like your high taxes either but I like the state enough to be moving there.

Only FFC, New Haven close to NYC

Old 07-25-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Only FFC, New Haven close to NYC
Yeh, but isn't there train service from Hartford? I don't want to be anywhere near FF Cty any more than I want to be anywhere near Boston. But I heard there is train service. From where I live it costs a small fortune to get to NYC--haven't been in years. I'd have to take a train all the way to Boston to begin with.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Yeh, but isn't there train service from Hartford? I don't want to be anywhere near FF Cty any more than I want to be anywhere near Boston. But I heard there is train service. From where I live it costs a small fortune to get to NYC--haven't been in years. I'd have to take a train all the way to Boston to begin with.
Yes few Amtrak trains run from Hartford to NYC but it very limited. A person moving from FFC, New Haven might find Hartford area slower pace and more boring.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Yes few Amtrak trains run from Hartford to NYC but it very limited. A person moving from FFC, New Haven might find Hartford area slower pace and more boring.
I always thought CT was boring when I lived there but boring is okay. You learn how to make your own fun.
I'm originally from WMass and we felt more like we were part of CT anyway. WMass (CT River Valley) is just as boring--no beaches, nothing much to do. Just residential.

I'd only want to go to NYC a few times, not very often. But the train goes all the way to DC-that might be a fun trip sometime.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I always thought CT was boring when I lived there but boring is okay. You learn how to make your own fun.
I'm originally from WMass and we felt more like we were part of CT anyway. WMass (CT River Valley) is just as boring--no beaches, nothing much to do. Just residential.

I'd only want to go to NYC a few times, not very often. But the train goes all the way to DC-that might be a fun trip sometime.
I will say Stamford and New Haven has few things to do. Connecticut is more family suburban kind of state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut