Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,514 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Single professional woman in my 30s moving to New Haven. Looking at Wooster Square (greene st), East Rock (Foster St or Corsair), or one of the highrises downtown.
Will be commuting to cheshire (don't want to live there).
Any thoughts on which neighborhood is best for safety/walkability to restaurants etc/not too noisy?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 03:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctca View Post
Hi All,
Single professional woman in my 30s moving to New Haven. Looking at Wooster Square (greene st), East Rock (Foster St or Corsair), or one of the highrises downtown.
Will be commuting to cheshire (don't want to live there).
Any thoughts on which neighborhood is best for safety/walkability to restaurants etc/not too noisy?

Thanks!
Be careful to check out crime rates in the areas of the city you will live or frequently be in. New Haven varies a lot from place to place regarding crime and what not. There are some sites that show criminal incidents, and for New Haven it is possible to get a block by block list of muggings, rapes, shootings and so on. Assuming you are moving to a middle class, college educated part of New Haven, overall you'll be safe.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:03 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
For your wants, definitely East Rock. Wooster is a bit too isolated (pizza/Italian might get old fast) and downtown is more bustling.

One alternative to consider would be the Novella on Howe. It's on the edge of downtown near tons of shopping and dining, but is quiter than downtown. It's a great location.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,514 times
thanks! that was i was wondering about wooster... it seems nice, but little other than pizza. But it seems like a shorter walk to downtown than east rock

Old 08-12-2017, 05:13 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctca View Post
thanks! that was i was wondering about wooster... it seems nice, but little other than pizza. But it seems like a shorter walk to downtown than east rock
Upper State Street and the Audubon Arts area are East Rock and have a wide variety of bars and restaurants, and cool little shops. Far more than Wooster Square, which has a street of Italian pizza/pastries/restaurants. That area is great, but it's essentially CT's Little Italy.

Also, I'd much rather walk home to East Rock than Wooster from downtown. There's a desolate area between downtown and Wooster that just feels less safe. And I never liked the block from 360 State to the green.

That may change as there's big luxury developments going in that desolate area. But that will take a few years.

You are a great example on why the state needs to attract businesses to cities like New Haven. Young people don't want to live/work in the sticks. Myself included.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:06 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
I have friends around the square and never felt unsafe making the walk into downtown. After 360 State it's less than 5 minutes to the square with a dog park to one side and the mill apartments on the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut