Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:53 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times

Advertisements

I would like to find out the range of what people in CT are paying Comcast for the following:

TV package with ESPN but no movie channels like HBO, internet & phone & no contract?

I was paying $195.00 per month with everything; all available channels with HBO, Showtime, etc etc so many channels; and phone & internet with no contract.

Looking to scale back but keep ESPN, CNN no movie channels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 05:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
You forgot to mention how many boxes, HD, DVR, etc.

We pay $189 for the TP. That is with 2 boxes (one DVR), HD services, their mid range internet, and phone. They extended my contract for a year so I have them for another 8 months or so. I plan on doing a full sweep when the contract is over. We already have Netflix, Disney Movies, HBO Now, Amazon Prime Video, and share these services amongst my parents and brother.

The goal next year is to pickup an HD antenna, setup a jailbroken Amazon fire stick, use Kodee with my current services and ditch the landline phone. So all I will be shopping for is internet service. For the $9/10 a month for these other video services I get what I need, commercial free content streamed everywhere. I don't watch TV, we watch recorded shows or movies, or whatever and it will be cheaper overall than the current service. I'm looking to be about $100 saved or more per month by the end.

Like I said we don't watch a lot of live TV or sports so with an HD antenna I'd get most of that when needed. It's funny my kids never knew what it was like to not have things "on demand" to stream immediately, you wanted a movie then you went to the store to rent it. If you wanted to watch a particular show you had to wait until it aired. It's just amazing how much that has changed since I was a kid.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:06 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
I would like to find out the range of what people in CT are paying Comcast for the following:

TV package with ESPN but no movie channels like HBO, internet & phone & no contract?

I was paying $195.00 per month with everything; all available channels with HBO, Showtime, etc etc so many channels; and phone & internet with no contract.

Sling TV 25 bucks ..you get about 50 stations. No ESPN though...NOT A BAD THING.... lol

Old 10-03-2017, 06:51 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
I think ESPN is available through Sling.

We don't have cable TV, but I hear that the going rate for "basic" packages is in the $130-$150 range. We pay significantly less than that for phone/internet only

Old 10-03-2017, 07:00 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:

I have Optimum and pay $147 per month with Mid range TV, Phone, blazing fast Internet. You watch HBO and Showtime ?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:41 AM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
I was paying $179 for Comcast phone/internet/cable with a good but not great channel package. Recently got rid of the landline (only got it for the intro pricing when we first signed up) and cable. Internet is still way too expensive at $89 but I kept that and signed up for Sling at $25 per month. Get all the channels I want with better sports selection overall than Xfinity.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:43 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times
Default agree 100 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
You forgot to mention how many boxes, HD, DVR, etc.

We pay $189 for the TP. That is with 2 boxes (one DVR), HD services, their mid range internet, and phone. They extended my contract for a year so I have them for another 8 months or so. I plan on doing a full sweep when the contract is over. We already have Netflix, Disney Movies, HBO Now, Amazon Prime Video, and share these services amongst my parents and brother.

The goal next year is to pickup an HD antenna, setup a jailbroken Amazon fire stick, use Kodee with my current services and ditch the landline phone. So all I will be shopping for is internet service. For the $9/10 a month for these other video services I get what I need, commercial free content streamed everywhere. I don't watch TV, we watch recorded shows or movies, or whatever and it will be cheaper overall than the current service. I'm looking to be about $100 saved or more per month by the end.

Like I said we don't watch a lot of live TV or sports so with an HD antenna I'd get most of that when needed. It's funny my kids never knew what it was like to not have things "on demand" to stream immediately, you wanted a movie then you went to the store to rent it. If you wanted to watch a particular show you had to wait until it aired. It's just amazing how much that has changed since I was a kid.
Yes I have had Amazon Prime since it started and Netflix for a couple years. YES I did have every single cable channel including all the premium channels because that has been a packaging strategy and it worked well for awhile. I had all that with the fast internet and the phone for like $192.00 per month no contract. Since I am in the ad business it's all tax deductible anyway.

Recently cut it back to just "basic cable" which are pretty much what is really just broadcast that you can pick up with the HD antenna, with their overpriced internet connection for about $100 per month. I really wanted to see the Yankee playoff game and yes I added a FREE trial of Sling TV for FREE but it is a great deal compared to Comcast! They were caught by the Gov't for padding their bills tooke 18 months in coiurt and they were fined like $2.5 million, If they pad 40,0000,000 customer's bill $5 a month that is $200 million in new pure profit, makes it worth it to them to do it. It's part of their culture to try and over charge people. Pretty much everyone who examines their bill carefully over time will find blatant over charging and padding.
The other thing they did was they closed most of their stores so it's harder to return the equipment and the longer you have it the more they charge you.

Last edited by SailCT; 10-04-2017 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-04-2017, 06:28 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
$181/month with Optimum, all the channels, phone and 200Mbs internet. We have a Tivo, so no boxes, just one cablecard.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:15 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:

Amazing people still pay 150-200/month to watch TV and talk on a landline phone.

Cut the cord and Google "DirectvNow"
$35/month with over 60 channels including locals, ESPN,CNN, YES, playoffs, football games, everything you need. Way more choices than Sling
The App works great with an Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV

Old 10-05-2017, 06:13 PM

282 posts, read 233,059 times
We pay around $150-175 for landline, high-speed cable, TV with like 400 channels plus HBO. We only watch maybe a dozen of those channels but he wants ESPN and Golf and HBO. I want landline because it works even when the power goes out and our cell phone batteries are dead. Same reason I have a hand-crank flashlight in addition to the usual battery-powered ones. If it were up to me we'd just have old fashioned network TV and rent movies when we don't want to see one on the networks. It's not up to me though. He wants to stick with Comcast, so that's what we have. Since he's the one who does almost 90% of the TV-watching in the house, I don't make a fuss about the expense. Comes out of his paycheck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut