Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 06:14 AM

13 posts, read 141,756 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now in anticipation of a move to the Hartford area from D.C. I grew up in Southington, but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the sorts of things that I care about now as a parent. The main reason my family wants out of D.C. is the poor quality of life, which (for me, anyway) is based significantly on traffic. Oh man: just to keep my commute time reasonable (30 min), I have to leave my house by 6:00AM! Leaving even 30 minutes later will nearly double the drive time to the city. The evening isn't much better; the drive takes at least 45 min at 6:30. It's just horrific and debilitating to deal with this traffic every day, on top of a 10 hr workday. Add in the ridiculous prices of homes down here (and their overall lackluster, cookie-cutter feel), and you've got an abyssmal life: less time for family and friends, much more exhaustion (driving in traffic drains me).

So we are looking forward to going back to CT. We feel like we have a lot of options in moving back because money goes farther in the Hartford area, and are generally looking at towns to the East and West of Hartford (in order to be closer to family south of the city in Southington and Unionville). Here's my question. Take these towns where we are looking: (1) W. Hartford near the reservoir; (2) Glastonbury; (3) Collinsville; (4) Marlborough. I gather that naturally, of these, Collinsville has the longest commute. Now, I don't mind a 30 minute commute (I can even bear 40 min); but at what time of the morning and the evening does the traffic hit? In the morning, if I left each of those towns at 7:00am or 7:30am, how long do you think it would take to get to downtown Hartford? In the evening, what about the return commute at 5:30pm or 6pm? I think we generally prefer the homes and neighborhoods one ring outside the immediate Hartford suburbs; that is, Collinsville/Canton and Marlborough. But if the traffic at those times of day is still really bad, we might have to move one ring closer, like to W. Hartford or Glastonbury.

Thanks; all your posts on this board have been a great help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
I can truly understand your desire to leave the DC area- Washington is my hometown, removed since I was in grade school in Connecticut, but I have relatives in the DC area, and the traffic is horrible, and yes the quality of life I feel is increasingly being compromised with each passing year.

West Hartford is probably your best bet- if you work in Hartford, because the commute time will be less then 20 minutes in most instances. Plus W. Hartford is a really great place to live. The area around the reservoir is very pleasant.

Collinsville/Canton will be a longer commute, and if working in Hartford, you will have to transverse Avon Mountain on US 44- which sometimes is not at all pleasant, especially in poor weather or if there is an accident or its getaway Friday.

Glastonbury across the CT river, just SE of Hartford is another excellent town to choose from- our other moderator Jay can hopefully fill you in. The commute is easy most of the time- but there may be some traffic slowdowns on the route 2 I 84 junction in East Hartford. But this will be minor compared to the traffic in the DC area.

Marlborough, SE of Hartford across the CT river, and just south of Glastonbury is about a 30-35 minute commute or less, on most days via route 2- is another great places to live- hopefully Mels can fill you in.

Also consider Rocky Hill, south of Hartford- & South Windsor, across the CT river just NW of Hartford. Both great towns and an easy commute (less then 30 minutes). Good luck.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-19-2008 at 07:04 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks Skytrekker. Those commute times seem to gel with what I estimated based on my not-so-scientific use of google maps, which says that W. Hartford is a 15-20 min commute; Collinsville is 30 min; Glastonbury is 15 min; and Marlborough is 25 min. (Granted, add a few more minutes the farther one lives off the main roads.) These estimates, I gather, are all traffic-less estimates, so I assume each would increase during rush hour. I'm eager to find out from those who've made (or who make) the trips, at what time does the rush hour start and raise those commute times?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,083,649 times
Avoid Collinsville. During the rush hours, traffic along Route 4 in Farmington is pretty bad and Route 44 in Avon going into West Hartford is also very heavy. If you can find a way to avoid driving in the rush hours then I'd recommend Collinsville.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,124 times
Morning rush hour starts around 7:15-7:30 and is finished by 9:00am. Evening rush hour starts at 4:30pm and ends around 6:30pm.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM

428 posts, read 1,174,015 times
I do recall Washington DC having debilating traffic problems, but I'd have to say that unfortunately Hartford is no better. Due to the large influx of suburban dwellers into the city to work, you can almost ALWAYS bet on traffic delays (7:45-11:00 AM, 4:15-7:30 PM are the worst times). However, one good sign is that the traffic is almost always stop-and-go (unless there is an accident), and shouldn't take more than a half-an-hour to get through.

You most definitely want to avoid West Hartford, horrible traffic any time of day, especially I-84 and getting through the areas of Trout Brook Rd, etc. are horrendous.

Marlborough is a tiny town south of the city. However, it's situated on busy Route 2, which, at times, getting into the city is near impossible. It's a two lane, direct access highway that goes from Norwich, through Marlborough and Colchester, and up into Hartford. Through the north-end of Glastonbury and East Hartford, it is always backed up during the morning and evening rush hour. Although Marlborough is a lovely town, I don't think it'd mix well working in Hartford.

I don't know much about Collinsville, but I'm sure there is traffic somewhere up around there...

Hope this helps! Good luck, Hartford's traffic is notorious!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
I do recall Washington DC having debilating traffic problems, but I'd have to say that unfortunately Hartford is no better. Due to the large influx of suburban dwellers into the city to work, you can almost ALWAYS bet on traffic delays (7:45-11:00 AM, 4:15-7:30 PM are the worst times). However, one good sign is that the traffic is almost always stop-and-go (unless there is an accident), and shouldn't take more than a half-an-hour to get through.

You most definitely want to avoid West Hartford, horrible traffic any time of day, especially I-84 and getting through the areas of Trout Brook Rd, etc. are horrendous.

Marlborough is a tiny town south of the city. However, it's situated on busy Route 2, which, at times, getting into the city is near impossible. It's a two lane, direct access highway that goes from Norwich, through Marlborough and Colchester, and up into Hartford. Through the north-end of Glastonbury and East Hartford, it is always backed up during the morning and evening rush hour. Although Marlborough is a lovely town, I don't think it'd mix well working in Hartford.

I don't know much about Collinsville, but I'm sure there is traffic somewhere up around there...

Hope this helps! Good luck, Hartford's traffic is notorious!

I think you are comparing apples and oranges-

Washington DC greater has over 6 million people- Hartford 1.3 million- The Washington area is rated among the 5 worse areas of the nation for traffic. I have experienced Washington's traffic- it took me an hour to go 12 miles from Rockville to Silver Springs.

As bad as Hartford appears to you- its nothing compared to the Washington area, Los Angeles, Dallas, or Atlanta.

The commute from West Hartford to Hartford can easily be accomplished by avoiding I 84.
Hartford is ranked as 'average' for commute and daily traffic.

Also route 2 from Marlborough is 4 lane limited access into Hartford (2 ways each direction)

Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
LOL You are going to get a lot of replies that seem like people live in different cities.

One says traffic is horrible, others are laughing at the comment.

*I* have been in the thick of Atlanta, Orlando, Charlotte, and yes DC traffic myself for comparison sake. I know exactly what you are talking about and agree...it SUCKS! (I'm sure the others who I disagree with will come back with "my brothers uncle's father lives in X and I know what traffic is...but I digress.) My 9 mile commute in Charlotte took me almost an hour via interstate. I used to feel claustrophobic and would at times get small anxiety attacks in that kind of bumper to bumper traffic where you could walk faster.

As a whole I personally find traffic in Hartford a joke by comparison. However, there are a few pockets that can get aggravating at times.

I find that traveling from the West of Hartford on I-84 coming in in the morning, and going out AND coming in to the city in the afternoon is the worst we have. It's known as the "curves". You can see the left right left right on the map through West Hartford...that's the area.

I am always getting to different areas of the state for 8 or 9am most times so I've been able to experience most of the traffic patterns in Hartford.

Collinsville to Hartford is not THAT bad. As Sky noted, going over the mountain can have it's issues during times of bad weather...traffic wise it actually flows okay, it's just busy.

You will have to drive down Albany Ave into Hartford. For the most part it's harmless but you will be going through the worst part of the city ("ghetto" wise.) - it's pretty much free for all chaos IMHO. Cars darting left and right, pulling out, slamming on brakes and double parking etc etc

If you go RT4 to 84, RT4 is not that bad...again, busy, but it flows. The problem lies in I84 going into Hartford again, it's the worst part of the commute traffic into the city.

By comparison, East of the river is a CAKE WALK into downtown via I84 or I384. I384 is actually a breeze, never ever any back up till you get to to Exit 56 on I84 but even then it's only for traffic NOT going into downtown as the left two lanes hit the founders bridge and cars just swoosh past right into the heart of DT at 40-50mph.

If you have to go North or South of the city during rush hour, you can take the flyover bridge (Charter Oak) which bypasses all of the congestion and you just zip on by to I91 South.

Going North you can grab I291 from I384 or I84 and it's pretty much traffic free with minor tie ups at the interchange to I91 North.

If you really want great access to "things", no traffic and not a lot of congestion I would seriously look into the towns fed by I384. I moved up here from Central CT about 6 years ago and love it. No traffic, access to city life, mega shopping areas, farms, ice cream stands, a nice backroad drive to the shore etc etc.

I still visit family in Wallingford and Southington. Via I91 it's about 30-35 minutes to get there with no issues or backups.

Glastonbury is also a great option as you can grab RT3 to 91 or RT2. Traffic is not too bad but RT2 can back up sometimes.

Coming in from South of the city does have some traffic coming in, but you'll laugh judging by DC standards after getting stuck just once on that forsaken beltway. lol

These are normal commutes and things do change if there is a serious accident or whatnot...but that's to be expected.

If you have any specific questions about a route, feel free to ask as I deal with traffic in and out of Hartford on a daily basis from many different angles...I know most of the shortcuts and "get arounds" too...I have to, time is money when you work for yourself in a service industry and staring at a windshield just makes you broke!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 AM

JViello, you're reinforcing my initial impression that East of the River is where to be. I remember the curves very well from all my drives into Hartford after I got my car. I bet in the morning and the evening, there's a lot of sun glare, too, which would really complicate the traffic. Being on the other side of the River avoids all that. Where along 384 would you recommend? Someplace like Bolton?

It probably would help if I put my own, current traffic issues into greater relief. I live about 15 miles from my office in downtown D.C. (anything closer is way outside our price range). That's just outside the 495 beltway. I have a 3.5 mile drive to get on 395 from my house, which takes about 10 min on a 4-lane road with stoplights. If I get to 395 before 6am (lord have mercy, I do it many days just to avoid the traffic), I can get downtown -- 10 miles -- in about 15 minutes. But by 6:30am, you should at least double, sometimes triple that time on the highway. And anytime after 7am until even 10am, it's a guaranteed 45 min drive to go those 10 miles. The evening is about the same.

As I noted, 30 min is a reasonable drive time. But having to leave my house before 6am, and having to stay at the office until 6:30pm, just to get the drive time down to those 30 min is what puts too much of a strain on me. Especially in winter, when driving at those times pretty much ensures that I don't see any sunlight for an entire day.

Anywhere I can live outside Hartford and be able to get to work in 30 min leaving at 7:30 in the morning will change my life!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
I lived in DC (well, Alexandria) for two years. In my opinion, Hartford traffic is not any better during rush hour, and traffic between New Haven and Greenwich is much worse along 95. That's JMO though. If you can find the right route to Hartford from the suburbs, you can bypass the traffic. 84 and 91 are often bumper to bumper.

Check out West Hartford. It is probably the best option since you will want to avoid highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut