Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times

Advertisements

Some of the World's Most Affordable Housing Is in the New York tri-state area.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...FlowFB_NYBrand

Demographia's 14th annual survey takes the median home price in a market and divides it by the median household income* to get a ratio showing how hard it is for the average person to buy a house.

*New Haven
*Hartford
*New London

Here is the entire list where you can see the top 100 (go to page 36, schedule 2).
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
ALL HOUSING MARKETS RANKED BY AFFORDABILITY: Most Affordable to Least Affordable
Median Multiple (Median House Price/Median Household Income): 2017: Third Quarter

#33 New London
#72 Hartford CT
#85 New Haven

These 3 areas of CT are ranking higher or about the same as many of the southern states where everyone on here is POSITIVE it is cheaper to live. If you go through the PDF the research to rank the different area are very extensive. There is so much information it is pretty daunting but I am very intrigued by this list and if correct is good news for about 1/2 of our state DESPITE ALL THE DOOM AND GLOOM on here.

* Do you see that formula. That is the same formula I am using with the info from right here on city-data that puts me in the New Haven area for retirement.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Some of the World's Most Affordable Housing Is in the New York tri-state area.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...FlowFB_NYBrand

Demographia's 14th annual survey takes the median home price in a market and divides it by the median household income to get a ratio showing how hard it is for the average person to buy a house.

*New Haven
*Hartford
*New London

Here is the entire list where you can see the top 100 (go to page 36, schedule 2).
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

ALL HOUSING MARKETS RANKED BY AFFORDABILITY: Most Affordable to Least Affordable
Median Multiple (Median House Price/Median Household Income): 2017: Third Quarter

#33 New London
#72 Hartford CT
#85 New Haven

These 3 areas of CT are ranking higher than many of the southern states including the southern states where everyone on here is POSITIVE it is cheaper to live. If you go through the PDF the research to rank the different area are very extensive. There is so much information it is pretty daunting but I am very intrigued by this list and if correct is good news for about 1/2 of our state DESPITE ALL THE DOOM AND GLOOM on here.
Cheapest place in Connecticut

1. Hartford
2. Waterbury
3. New Britain
4. New London
5. Meriden
6. New haven
7. West Haven
8. Naugatuck
9. Bridgeport
10. Bristol
11. Ansonia

Most Expensive

1. Darien
2. Greenwich
3. New Canaan
4. Westport
5. Weston
6. Wilton
7. Ridgefield
8. Redding
9. Easton
10. Woodbridge/Lyme
11. Avon/Madison
12. Fairfield/Guilford/Salisbury
13. Glastonbury/Old Saybrook/Old Lyme/Kent/Washington/ Cornwall/Stamford/Norwalk/ Mystic/Sharon
14. Orange/East Lyme/Essex/Oxford/Woodbury

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 12:13 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Unfortunately this doesn’t take into account the almost criminal property tax rate in these “affordable” cities.

Also, Hartford and New London are not in the NY tri-state area.

Another garbage list.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Unfortunately this doesn’t take into account the almost criminal property tax rate in these “affordable” cities.

Another garbage list.
Hartford. Mill rate $74.29. You'd have to be insane to buy a house in Hartford.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:06 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
I don't know. Quick look at the list has Hartford tied with Atlanta. Bridgeport is tied with Charleston, Sc.

Not sure we are really "beating" any of these areas.

Seems like if we went head to head just on those two examples above The "southern states" would be beating us pretty bad.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:

Another garbage list.
You beat me to it. And most of the NY places they mention are way upstate.

And even New Haven I consider "peripherally" to be in the NY tri-state area. It's about as long a commute to NYC you can have and it's not even in the NYC TV/media market (a weird dichotomy that also occurred with Trenton, NJ starting with the 2010 Census when they flipped it from the Philly area to the NYC one).

Old 01-23-2018, 06:32 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
I do know a few super commuters from New London and Hartford but most are only in the city a few days a week. Hell I know a guy who commutes from Killingly to Boston twice a week. But yeah I agree not NYC commutable. In genral we have talked about this before but the Hartford area and SE CT rate highly in income to COL polls.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Another garbage list.

"The Tri-State Region, commonly referred to as the greater New York (City) area, is made up of three states: New York (NY), New Jersey (NJ) and Connecticut (CT)."
https://www.selectleaders.com/real-e...state-ny-nj-ct

Population Density of the Tri-State Area .......Covering New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, this map demonstrates how densely populated the region is.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html...a9e10e879a89f5

Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 AM

This list is not about commuting to NYC, it is pointing out the most affordable middle income areas of the world to live in on it's on right. CT has a large portion of those areas which is a good thing.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:48 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
"The Tri-State Region, commonly referred to as the greater New York (City) area, is made up of three states: New York (NY), New Jersey (NJ) and Connecticut (CT)."
https://www.selectleaders.com/real-e...state-ny-nj-ct

Population Density of the Tri-State Area .......Covering New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, this map demonstrates how densely populated the region is.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html...a9e10e879a89f5
I doesn't mean it is really the entire parts of all 3 states. I mean Buffalo is as far away from New London as North Carolina is from New London. It's really the metro area that they are talking about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut