Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you fund Connecticut's transportation needs in the future?
Add tolls to Connecticut highways 45 58.44%
Raise the gas tax 14 18.18%
Institute User or Mileage Fee 5 6.49%
None (current funding is adequate) 21 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
If they put tolls, I hope they adopt the most modern technology. In other words, tolls without toll booths and with no need to stop.
Absolutely would be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 12:49 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Tolls at the borders if fine with me. So long as they make it like the EZ Pass system on the new Tappan Zee, no toll booths, no stopping. You either get your EZ Pass captured on the overhead that covers all lanes or you get mailed the toll fee with a way to pay online.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:10 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Tolls. And not stupid toll booths with some paid state employee taking your money. Do it electronically like MA does. And OUT OF STATE cars pay more--just like MA does. (Snag all those NYers just passing through on rte 84.)

Old 01-24-2018, 01:45 PM

538 posts, read 331,691 times
I'm for tolls. I wonder how much traffic that would increase on 15. I can imagine the interchange of 15 and 91 on the weekend becoming way worse if all the interstates have tolls.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Points of discussion:

Any new tolls would definitely be electronic via EZ Pass or Toll by Plate - the cost of building, maintaining, and staffing toll booths isn't worthwhile and would create traffic

Any new tolls on interstates would have to be used for the benefit of that road only so no using I95 money to repair I84 or if an interstate were to be expanded

border tolling is discouraged as it effects towns along those borders/interstates as some attempt to avoid the toll.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:24 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Points of discussion:

Any new tolls would definitely be electronic via EZ Pass or Toll by Plate - the cost of building, maintaining, and staffing toll booths isn't worthwhile and would create traffic

Any new tolls on interstates would have to be used for the benefit of that road only so no using I95 money to repair I84 or if an interstate were to be expanded

border tolling is discouraged as it effects towns along those borders/interstates as some attempt to avoid the toll.
It would have to be the the electronic type. Once it's built, there's no staff to pay and anyway the reason CT got rid of toll booths was because of a major accident at a toll booth. Toll booths are obsolete.

I more or less don't care what road is improved by the money earned--use it as needed. And start out with just one toll road at a time to see how it goes. Personally, I detest I-84 and see it used a lot by out of staters and they would be charged extra for being out of state. But if I-95 needed work, who am I to say that the I-84 money couldn't go toward I-95?

Border towns--I used to take I-95 to Maine and there are always side roads you can take if you want to stop at a store on the way. I don't think I-95 affected the border towns in a negative way but I can't be sure of that.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:26 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Points of discussion:

This is correct. All of the proposals for tolls are "open road" tolls which refer to placing readers on the roadways to read EZ Passes or the license plates of vehicles passing under them. No one would dare propose putting up the old toll plazas after the horror of Stratford back in the 80's.

You should know that the state can't just slap up tolls anywhere it wants. Tolls are prohibited on all interstate funded highways like I-95, I-91, I-84, I-691, I-291 and I-395. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has given Connecticut a pilot program approval however to implement tolls on I-95 from New Haven to New York and I-84 west of Hartford should the state proceed with plans to make major improvements to those highways. FHWA will definitely not allow Connecticut to just slap up border tolls or to charge Connecticut residents less than other travelers.

You could however see tolls added to state routes like Route 2, Route 15, Route 9, Route 7, Route 8, Route 25, Route 11 and Route 20. There is talk of funding the new West Rock tunnel on Route 15 with tolls as well as the extension of Route 11 to I-95 but I am not aware of any talk of placing tolls on already existing highways.

Also note that I saw mention of a special question being on the ballot in the November election that would put a Lockbox on the state's Transportation Fund. I believe that will pass with flying colors since most people are tired of the legislature raiding the Transportation Fund to balance their budget.

One thing everyone can and should do is let their State Legislator know their opinion. IF enough people do that it will make finding an answer to the problem a lot easier. IT is better than just simply complaining about things and I am surprised how many of our legislators will respond to inquiries and opinions. Jay

Old 01-24-2018, 03:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
The thing is ... Where would these tolls on Rte 8 be.. We have to go at least 1 or 2 exits up & down rte 8 just to get around our town of Seymour that straddles both sides of the Naugatuck River ... We only have 2 street river crossings in town ... Rt67 Bank Steet & rt313 Broad Street that are always very busy.. Almost everyone gets on and off 22 to 19, And back again at least once a day.. The next street crossing is rt334 Maple St Ansonia to the south of us & rt42Pine Bridge in Beacon falls to the north, neither of which help us get around Seymour...

Old 01-24-2018, 03:25 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
I'm fine with tolls provided we eliminate the property tax on autos. You can't have it both ways --- and I could care less where the dollars are allocated. I could come around if there are formal proposals to catalyze real change on the roads and rails (i.e. 95 widening or double decking). This would make CT even less appealing to new residents and businesses --- not surprising since we rarely think through the 'consequences' when our hand is out for $.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:39 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Here are the previous Toll Threads:

2015: 52% votes No. 48% Yes.

2016: 46% No. 46% Yes. 8% Unsure.

I think I mentioned this in the previous Toll thread. Once you put tolls, (booth or not), on I-95, many people will make an effort to avoid it, and guess what that means... Extra on the already congested 2 lane Merritt Parkway. I voted yes, but man I would hate even 1 more car on the Merritt that wouldn't be there without tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut