Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:24 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryFrenzy View Post
I am leaving Connecticut in the next couple of years. I have lived here all my life and have witnessed its decline over the past 2 decades. Large companies continue to move out. Every year taxes continue to be added. Our house values have not rebounded as they have in other parts of the country. I simply do not see Connecticut making a comeback in the near future. There is much more growth happening in other states than in Connecticut.

I am looking to move to Florida. No personal income tax. No property tax on your car. Lower fuel tax than CT.
Got a quote on homeowner's insurance for a new home - half what I currently pay.
Gorgeous beaches. Siesta Key is #1 beach in the nation. Seems like a no brainer.
That is something I have NEVER heard from someone moving to Florida. Most people I know that moved there were shocked to find it was the one thing that was higher. Are you sure it is comparable coverage on comparable homes?

Keep in mind some of the differences as well. Oppressive heat and humidity in the summer; tropical bugs; a lesser educated population and traffic. I saw on another thread that you are looking at Lakewood Ranch which is outside Sarasota. I have a good friend there and she likes it. She complains about the things I mention above and that they are not that close to the beach but still likes it a lot. As I always say, no place is perfect. Good luck with your move. Jay

Old 01-31-2018, 09:35 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is something I have NEVER heard from someone moving to Florida. Most people I know that moved there were shocked to find it was the one thing that was higher. Are you sure it is comparable coverage on comparable homes?

Keep in mind some of the differences as well. Oppressive heat and humidity in the summer; tropical bugs; a lesser educated population and traffic. I saw on another thread that you are looking at Lakewood Ranch which is outside Sarasota. I have a good friend there and she likes it. She complains about the things I mention above and that they are not that close to the beach but still likes it a lot. As I always say, no place is perfect. Good luck with your move. Jay
Pros
Less expensive than CT expect homeowner insurance
Better weather October-March
Nicer Beaches
More things to Do
Better nightlife and bars
Cities are somewhat better
More jobs but pay less
Pretty areas and outdoor places
Outdoor recreation
Easy access for weekend trip to islands and South America

Cons
Humidity and heat feel like 103 everyday in summer around 9:30 AM it feel like 94
Almost daily afternoon showers for 30 mins-1 hour in summer
Jobs pay less
Bad Drivers and traffic
Tropical bugs
Hurricanes
Almost daily sound of thunder at night near beach in summer
Schools not on par with CT there some good schools in Florida but overall CT is more educated.
COL in South Florida like Miami, Broward County, Naples, West Plam Beach is almost expensive as CT housing costs. Central and North FL is cheaper than CT

It might be harder to find job Florida because too many people moving there and looking for jobs while CT have snail population growth

Last edited by BPt111; 01-31-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 10:55 AM

44 posts, read 23,526 times
We tried to do a family move to south SC greenville area around last August. Here are some things that happen to us 1st was we had a very hard time finding work in are field my wife (30) found work at a day care the first day. me (32) I found work in my field on the last day we where there. it was 3 dollars more to what I'm making now but it was night shift. Or other members in our family around age 56 couldn't get past the door for what they where lookin for. Also note everything is online so even if your the best at what you do if you don't fit in there area you get a pass. In the greenville area there so much people from up here that traffic was insane and for that, one job 1000 applied. Also the heat, we went in august so it was omg hot so be for worn about that. If you say I like the heat well me to, but I couldn't stand in the sun at all it was so bad by 10am.

We had a bad experience with it and chose to stay. Yes the taxes are stupid here the winters suck to. But in the end we had family up here and had jobs without ny traffic and omg summers. I would say I would give south another chance if I where to retire because that's all what was available at the time for greenville

In summary : out of all what happen of being unhappy with this state we have found that just a simple move out of our current city (waterbury) to a different town was all that we need to change or attitude.
But boy does that governor makes it hard choice lol

Last edited by SparkyR59; 01-31-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 02:04 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyR59 View Post
We tried to do a family move to south SC greenville area around last August. Here are some things that happen to us 1st was we had a very hard time finding work in are field my wife (30) found work at a day care the first day. me (32) I found work in my field on the last day we where there. it was 3 dollars more to what I'm making now but it was night shift. Or other members in our family around age 56 couldn't get past the door for what they where lookin for. Also note everything is online so even if your the best at what you do if you don't fit in there area you get a pass. In the greenville area there so much people from up here that traffic was insane and for that, one job 1000 applied. Also the heat, we went in august so it was omg hot so be for worn about that. If you say I like the heat well me to, but I couldn't stand in the sun at all it was so bad by 10am.

We had a bad experience with it and chose to stay. Yes the taxes are stupid here the winters suck to. But in the end we had family up here and had jobs without ny traffic and omg summers. I would say I would give south another chance if I where to retire because that's all what was available at the time for greenville

In summary : out of all what happen of being unhappy with this state we have found that just a simple move out of our current city (waterbury) to a different town was all that we need to change or attitude.
But boy does that governor makes it hard choice lol
Glad you found a change so you could stay in CT ... Greenville SC is a nice town ... but its not for everybody.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:28 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
[quote=BPt111;50877911]

Pros
Better
weather October-March

/QUOTE]

Please avoid that word this winter!

Old 01-31-2018, 05:37 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Pros
Better weather October-March
Nicer Beaches
More things to Do
Better nightlife and bars
Cities are somewhat better
More jobs but pay less
Pretty areas and outdoor places
Outdoor recreation
Easy access for weekend trip to islands and South America

Cons
Humidity and heat feel like 103 everyday in summer around 9:30 AM it feel like 94
Almost daily afternoon showers for 30 mins-1 hour in summer
Jobs pay less
Bad Drivers and traffic
Tropical bugs
Hurricanes
Almost daily sound of thunder at night near beach in summer
Schools not on par with CT there some good schools in Florida but overall CT is more educated.
COL in South Florida like Miami, Broward County, Naples, West Plam Beach is almost expensive as CT housing costs. Central and North FL is cheaper than CT

It might be harder to find job Florida because too many people moving there and looking for jobs while CT have snail population growth
More things to do?? We have a ton of history and natural beauty, and inbetween world class cities. In parts of Florida you are far from anything like that unless you’re in the Miami area. Great beaches yeah, but that’s limited

Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
More things to do?? We have a ton of history and natural beauty, and inbetween world class cities. In parts of Florida you are far from anything like that unless you’re in the Miami area. Great beaches yeah, but that’s limited
I agree. I do not think there are many locations in this country that offer as much to do as we have here. Jay

Old 02-01-2018, 02:08 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. I do not think there are many locations in this country that offer as much to do as we have here. Jay
I disagree, not due to thinking Ct does not have things to do, but I think you underestimate the beauty of most every state.

Now in many cases the rich history of states are not widely known.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:31 AM

53 posts, read 94,589 times
We moved from CT to Lexington, KY about eight years ago. We are older but still work fulltime. We moved here for in-law reasons. I was told about the lower cost of living for years. Here is the truth for this area. Other than property taxes, state and local taxes are similar to CT. While energy cost is cheaper, they are going up faster. Grocery sticker prices are lower but the sales suck. The university in town is now the same cost as UCONN and not ranked as well. You need to send your kids to private schools for a really decent education. We bought a house about five years ago at a much better price than available in CT, but prices have risen 6% a year for more than three years now. That will influence rents as well. While heating costs are more moderate air conditioning costs even that out quickly. The short-term answer for the relocation question may be different if you look a few years out. Yes, you do get or not get what you pay for.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:44 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave dave View Post
We moved from CT to Lexington, KY about eight years ago. We are older but still work fulltime. We moved here for in-law reasons. I was told about the lower cost of living for years. Here is the truth for this area. Other than property taxes, state and local taxes are similar to CT. While energy cost is cheaper, they are going up faster. Grocery sticker prices are lower but the sales suck. The university in town is now the same cost as UCONN and not ranked as well. You need to send your kids to private schools for a really decent education. We bought a house about five years ago at a much better price than available in CT, but prices have risen 6% a year for more than three years now. That will influence rents as well. While heating costs are more moderate air conditioning costs even that out quickly. The short-term answer for the relocation question may be different if you look a few years out. Yes, you do get or not get what you pay for.
Every single cost of living calculator shows Lexington KY cost of living to be about half of greater New Haven. The biggest expenses (home, property taxes) are approximatly half, and rents are dirt cheap. Kentucky sales tax is less, kw/h energy rate is far less, and income tax is less. It also doesn’t seem KY has vehicle property tax.

Sounds to me like you’ve gotten used to living in KY and forgot just how expensive CT is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut