Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 12:14 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,166 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are starting to house hunt in Hamden, North Haven, Woodbridge, Orange and Milford. Does either UI or Eversource release historical outage reports? I know it's not a standard request but I'm hoping to find neighborhoods that have higher uptimes and/or are considered higher priority during outages.

We're currently 5 mins from the Lockheed Sikorsky plant in Stratford and our electricity uptime is awesome. The naive side of me assumes it has something to do with being near a government-contracted facility (extra redundancy, stronger grid, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 12:33 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Outside your preferred area, but you might want to consider Wallingford. Town has its own electric utility company, and water company. People I know in Wallingford say their rates are lower and they hardly ever have outages.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Look near police stations; they are the first priority in outages in getting power back.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:43 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I live near Gulf Beach in Milford and have only lost power a couple of times in 8 years. The longest was a few hours and was due to a car hitting a utility pole.

I don't think we've ever lost power during a storm.

Last edited by Stylo; 04-03-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 03:37 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Outside your preferred area, but you might want to consider Wallingford. Town has its own electric utility company, and water company. People I know in Wallingford say their rates are lower and they hardly ever have outages.
This is a good suggestion. Because the electric company is town owned, not only are the Electric rates lower, they can deal with outages faster. The towns road crews work with the electric linemen to restore power. Jay

Old 04-02-2018, 05:43 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,166 times
Thanks for the Wallingford tip!

Besides that along with the one about being near a police station, are there any other tips from an electric uptime/downtime perspective? Are there towns that are worse with restoring and/or are more prone to outages than others?

Old 04-02-2018, 06:35 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

Besides that along with the one about being near a police station, are there any other tips from an electric uptime/downtime perspective? Are there towns that are worse with restoring and/or are more prone to outages than others?
Well, if you so concerned about losing electricity, the obvious tip would be to install a whole house generator in the home you purchase. Even better, go off grid and install a whole house solar electricity system. Jay

Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
We have lived in Wallingford for almost 5 years now. With about 3k sq.ft. our bill is bout $100 or less in the winter/cooler months and peaks at $190 in the dead of summer. This is running a central air 24 hours and a pool during the day with 2 kids.

Power basically never goes out, I say basically because we lost it for a whole 20 minutes when we first moved in and by the time I called when it went out they already had a team on-site who knew about and were correcting the issue. We have a generator, not whole house which is plenty to run our fridges, charge phones, etc. If your looking for a whole house unit be sure to find a home with natural gas so you don't have to worry about a propane tank or other fuel to fill it with.

Can't say enough good things about this town, and it neighbors North Haven with very similar tax rates and what I would consider better amenities.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well, if you so concerned about losing electricity, the obvious tip would be to install a whole house generator in the home you purchase. Even better, go off grid and install a whole house solar electricity system. Jay
This. Especially if you are on a well or require electricity to power your heating system. The generator systems are pretty common at this point and have come down in price. Even better if you live in an area with nat gas, which means you don't have to deal with propane.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Has anyone noticed that on I-91 north before entering Wallingford they have a billboard touting Wallingford's town electric system and how its better with lower prices etc ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut