Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
I have valet parking in my office too and it makes no difference to me for when I get home. You leave key in car when you get to valet stand, and it's there again when they bring your car up to you.
I get it, keys in the ignition. I was thinking sitting on the passenger seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Quiet towns are target because people don’t use common sense to lock their doors and take the items with them
I've never lived in a crime or super urban setting but always followed those simple rules. I guess some people just figure it's never happened to them so why bother.

Also, if you want to prevent car theft you can always buy a manual. They have become theft deterrent devices in themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 10:50 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I get it, keys in the ignition. I was thinking sitting on the passenger seat.

I've never lived in a crime or super urban setting but always followed those simple rules. I guess some people just figure it's never happened to them so why bother.

Also, if you want to prevent car theft you can always buy a manual. They have become theft deterrent devices in themselves
It not smart to steal cars because almost every cop car equipped with laser plate reader. The electrician toll tooth have system also they can alert.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:52 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
From what I have read, this is not only happening in New Canaan. A number of towns around the state have had this happening. And it has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Personally I think it is asking for trouble leaving the keys in the car so we never do that. We also make sure to lock our cars at night and do not leave anything of value in them overnight. It is kind of just common sense.

One of our neighbors leaves her purse in her car in the driveway every night. Years ago the purse was stolen and found about a mile away. She did not know it was taken until she got a call from police. You think she would have learned her lesson. No, it happened again several years ago. The really ironic part of this is that her son got caught with some friends stealing stuff from cars overnight. They were caught when one of the friends tried to return something to a store for the cash. Police had alerted the store of the items being taken so they called the police and kept the kid occupied until police came and arrested her. Four kids from "nice" middle class families were caught doing that. Just stupid. Jay
Vehicle thefts and being entered while unlocked are up over 400% in CT suburbs for 2016 and 2017. The vast majority of these vehicles are being recovered in Waterbury and Bridgeport, with some in New Haven. Almost all suspects are juveniles. It’s a massive problem lately and IMO, is a direct result of the governor’s shutting down of the state juvenile detention facility. It’s no coincidence, unfortunately.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 PM

487 posts, read 536,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Vehicle thefts and being entered while unlocked are up over 400% in CT suburbs for 2016 and 2017. The vast majority of these vehicles are being recovered in Waterbury and Bridgeport, with some in New Haven. Almost all suspects are juveniles. It’s a massive problem lately and IMO, is a direct result of the governor’s shutting down of the state juvenile detention facility. It’s no coincidence, unfortunately.
Entering and stealing from unlocked cars was a big issue last summer in Southington. Majority of the individual which were apprehended I believe were from Waterbury.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:48 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Majority of the individual which were apprehended I believe were from Waterbury.
Of course they were. There, and the Bronx.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:22 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
Default We NEED A JUVIE!

Get that juvenile detention facility re-opened and soon!
This must be just another reason wht GOV Malloy is not popular.
Others?

This is a no-brainer!
Same as legalizing 420 and taxing it.
Mass. recreational sales start 7/1 and allow out-of staters to buy.
Ct possession under half an OZ ok.
Right?

All equals massive loss of tax revenue

Also, Malloy also needs to copy Gov Cuomo's new business recruiting, tax friendly laws

It is all so easy!

Why can't we get it done!

but we DO need a juvenile detention center, probably more than one that can teach great skills like welding, plumbing, etectrical etc. So these kids have more choices.

Last edited by SailCT; 04-18-2018 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-18-2018, 06:26 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Guess I'll be the one contrarian here because I leave my car unlocked although I do not leave anything valuable in my car nor the keys. The reason I leave the car unlocked is because if someone broke the side window glass I'd be out at least $200 and the time it would take to replace the glass. I don't care about losing a few CD's or quarters.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:36 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Guess I'll be the one contrarian here because I leave my car unlocked although I do not leave anything valuable in my car nor the keys. The reason I leave the car unlocked is because if someone broke the side window glass I'd be out at least $200 and the time it would take to replace the glass. I don't care about losing a few CD's or quarters.
You know its not rocket science to hotwire a car and take it... $200 sounds alot better than a brand new car

Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
You know its not rocket science to hotwire a car and take it... $200 sounds alot better than a brand new car
Hot wiring like you would see in old TV shows isn't possible any more. Keys have RFID chips in them. If a person really wants your car they would need some type of electronic device and I don't think any one is going to try that on a low value car.

A Ferrari maybe.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:01 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I usually leave my old car unlocked in the driveway. It's appeal to others is fairly slim.

It's a stick and the door handles stick enough that people assume it's locked. It's old enough that getting replacement door glass would be a pain and the shifter bushings are so worn that no one else can seem to get it into the right gear. There is nothing of value to steal in the car except my sunglasses and you'd have to drive through another car in order to get it out of the driveway. I even leave the windows down in many locations in Glastonbury, though rarely in other towns.

I do not however, leave any keys in it, nor leave the house unlocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut