Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

What you think of this

College becomes a reality for many undocumented students | WTNH

Old 02-27-2015, 02:15 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Recognizing that they are here illegally (albeit through no fault of their own) kids who work hard, and get in to college despite what must be fairly adverse circumstances are exactly who we want here.

Before providing them with college aide, however, we should have path to legalization that is reasonable and achievable. These kids didn't come illegally by choice and the US is the only home they've known. A policy that both recognizes the sovereignty of the country-- and the fact that we can't have illegals pouring in-- and compassion for these kids would be best.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:29 PM

684 posts, read 812,207 times
Whatever happened to this country .....

Old 02-27-2015, 05:15 PM

830 posts, read 684,506 times
They sound like decent kids. I'd say grandfather the ones that are already here that are are willing to work for a career. If they are prospective and achieve things, they will be a boon to the economy after school. There are plenty of legal, multi-generational Americans that leech off of the system and then do nothing.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:45 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Whatever happened to this country .....
Well those Irish and thems Italians had to come in a ruin a great country

Old 02-28-2015, 07:52 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
They sound like decent kids. I'd say grandfather the ones that are already here that are are willing to work for a career. If they are prospective and achieve things, they will be a boon to the economy after school. There are plenty of legal, multi-generational Americans that leech off of the system and then do nothing.
Very true. I'd rather take a chance on new blood and see what they can offer.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:41 AM

70 posts, read 105,751 times
So the governor is proposing cutting financial aid to private schools while increasing funding for undocumented students at public universities. I could not think of a better policy example that highlights the dysfunction and nonsensical views of the current leadership. Shame the whole state suffers as a result.

There are plenty of people who are on public assistance and doing nothing to better themselves that could receive a little cut rather then pull money from those trying to get ahead.

With those cuts to private schools it just weakens their operations further since it's harder to retain students. = more job cuts

Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I'm not against it, but the video and print story didn't say what type of financial aid they would be eligible for. I think there is basically three types of aid, Federal, university scholarships, and private scholarships. I know they are not eligible for Federal Pell grants and I can't see that changing any time soon. I also do not think they are eligible for Federal Govt backed/guaranteed loans.

In the end, I don't think they will get very far as most people don't have thousands of dollars in cash to put down on a college degree. Community colleges would probably be the best bet for these people.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post
So the governor is proposing cutting financial aid to private schools while increasing funding for undocumented students at public universities. I could not think of a better policy example that highlights the dysfunction and nonsensical views of the current leadership. Shame the whole state suffers as a result.
Why do private schools get aid? We have a public school system.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post

There are plenty of people who are on public assistance and doing nothing to better themselves that could receive a little cut rather then pull money from those trying to get ahead.

With those cuts to private schools it just weakens their operations further since it's harder to retain students. = more job cuts
Are you talking about private K-12 schools or universities? I don't think private universities receive public funding other than tax exemptions on their land and buildings. In addition, students of these universities can receive Fed Govt money such as Pell grants, but they have been eligible for that long before this policy was proposed.

You think Yale or Trinity receive cash money from the Govt every year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut