Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 02:08 PM

328 posts, read 425,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Reminds me of the late 90's when the Twins threatened to move to the Triad in North Carolina and be renamed the Triplets, if they didn't get a new ballpark!

TRIAD NEVER STOOD CHANCE OF BECOMING HOME TO THE TWINS
Did they consider the Quad Cities?

btw, the Twins ball park (Target Field) is a beauty, big improvement over the Hump Dome, but a lot colder in April and September. The Doublets should be playing in October this year. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 04:28 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,144,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Did they consider the Quad Cities?

btw, the Twins ball park (Target Field) is a beauty, big improvement over the Hump Dome, but a lot colder in April and September. The Doublets should be playing in October this year. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Only problem is the Twins have been terrible ever since they opened that ballpark after having some good teams (including two World Series champions) in the Metrodome.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:00 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,949 times
2,536 listed as the attendance for New Britain's opener. Just pitiful. A friend was at the game and would disagree with even that number.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:33 AM

34,010 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
2,536 listed as the attendance for New Britain's opener. Just pitiful. A friend was at the game and would disagree with even that number.
I will be surprised if they last much longer. They were neck and neck with Fish for bottom 2 spots in league, with 6th above them, far far better.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 4,760 times
Quote:

I don't think the independent league that New Britain plays in has any relevance to the appeal of baseball as a whole in CT. I'm a baseball fan, and have absolutely no interest in watching people who aren't good enough to be a part of any minor league roster, for whatever the reason. I will gladly bypass the closer New Britain to go to Hartford because there I can see people who actually could have a future in the sport.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:45 AM

We also have the Can-Am League to kick around. I've been to their parks in Rockland (nice park but in the wrong league?) and Sussex County, NJ (park is in the middle of nowhere). I wish Rockland would join the Atlantic League at the very least. I also thought there was supposed to be a team in the Virginia Beach area some day?

Old 05-04-2019, 07:12 AM

223 posts, read 172,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS 746 View Post
I don't think the independent league that New Britain plays in has any relevance to the appeal of baseball as a whole in CT. I'm a baseball fan, and have absolutely no interest in watching people who aren't good enough to be a part of any minor league roster, for whatever the reason. I will gladly bypass the closer New Britain to go to Hartford because there I can see people who actually could have a future in the sport.
The quality of play can be pretty high in the independent league. I would encourage you to check it out. For example, Rich Hill of Dodgers fame was in the IL a few years ago. . . and two years ago I saw Rafael Palmero play for an opposing team there. Lots of former MLB players are in the league. Alejandro De Aza, who played LF for the Red Sox and Mets, is on the NB team currently.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:44 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,144,384 times
Quote:
But the awful baseball weather we've been having has to be taken into account somewhat.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:17 PM

205 posts, read 162,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnewspaper View Post
The quality of play can be pretty high in the independent league. I would encourage you to check it out. For example, Rich Hill of Dodgers fame was in the IL a few years ago. . . and two years ago I saw Rafael Palmero play for an opposing team there. Lots of former MLB players are in the league. Alejandro De Aza, who played LF for the Red Sox and Mets, is on the NB team currently.
Tracy McGrady even played for the Sugar Land team a couple of years ago. I find it strange that all the teams in the Atlantic League are from the Northeast (with a new team in High Point, NC being the farthest south), and then you have one team from the Houston Metro.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:25 PM

2,824 quoted for SATURDAY'S extra inning loss. Total is 5,360. Not even the capacity of the stadium in 2 games. Ridiculous! Sunday will almost certainly be postponed or not played. After that? A trip south to High Point, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut