Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 5,594 times

Advertisements

I am retired and moving back to Ct. after15 yrs. Looking for suggestions for best towns within a 30 min radius of the northern part of Willington (our daughter lives there). Taxes are a big concern. Would like to build a new house so would like recommendations on good builders in the area. Looks like you can't touch a decent building lot for under 65K? Also any ideas for the cost per sq. foot for a new construction? I'm seeing anywhere from $150 - $200 per sq. foot. any suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I think we will need more information in order to help you. What type of community are you interested in (rural, urban, suburban). The Willington area is generally rural with few amenities like shopping, entertainment and public utilities (sewers, gas). How far from these amenities do you want to be?

Connecticut is a small state so 30 miles from Willington covers a wide area. It would help to know what you like and don't like. Keep in mind that the closer to population and employment centers, the more expensive it will be. Towns to the east of Willington will generally be cheaper the further east you go.

Taxes will be high no matter where in the state you go particularly on new construction. New construction generally has a higher value so your tax assessment will be higher.

Without knowing more, I would recommend starting in Willington. It is a very nice town and would be the closest to your daughter. I would then start looking at adjacent towns like Mansfield, Tolland, Union and Stafford. From there you can go further out. Jay

Old 07-02-2018, 09:27 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3 View Post
I am retired and moving back to Ct. after15 yrs. Looking for suggestions for best towns within a 30 min radius of the northern part of Willington (our daughter lives there). Taxes are a big concern. Would like to build a new house so would like recommendations on good builders in the area. Looks like you can't touch a decent building lot for under 65K? Also any ideas for the cost per sq. foot for a new construction? I'm seeing anywhere from $150 - $200 per sq. foot. any suggestions appreciated.

A quick note new construction is almost never cheaper than existing. One of the few ways one can save with new construction is if one is capable of doing some of the work themselves, especially finishing work.

If cost is not an issue than ignore what I wrote.

This builder has a good rep in eastern CT. Although I think they are on the high side.

https://www.brombuilders.com/

Old 07-02-2018, 09:33 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Building new is fine when money isn't an issue, but if it is you'd likely have more luck looking at resale.

We were going to build a home and we're quoted 490,000 for the plans we made with the architect. We passed on it. Then a few months later found a home with almost the exact same floorplan but was a resale that was only 3 years old and they were asking 420.

Also keep in mind that brand new houses rarely resell for the price you paid.

But if money is not an issue this won't matter for you.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 5,594 times
Thanks for your replies. All good points. I have a budget of around $375k and I'm looking for a 1700 sq. ft. ranch. Right now I live in central Pa. in the middle of a corn field so (literally) I don't mind rural, but I need more amenities than the local feed store. My main goal is to be near my two daughters and grandchildren with close access to good medical facilities. Right now for any major medical issue (which I've experienced) it's 2.5 hours to Pittsburgh!

I've looked on line at houses for sale but I'm concerned about the crumbling foundation thing so when you look outside that envelope there isn't much to pick from in the way of single level living. I understand that in that part of the state there isn't the populated neighborhoods and thats OK with me. ( I lived in Stratford for many years)

I don't plan on putting my house on the market until next spring so I have time on my side to do the research.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 PM

15 posts, read 14,969 times
375k would get you a very nice Ranch in Willington with large lot as well, currently though, there aren't many listings.
I believe there's a 2 acre minimum lot size in most parts of town if you do deceide to build.
Check out the nearby towns of Ashford, Union and Woodstock for more options.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker60 View Post
375k would get you a very nice Ranch in Willington with large lot as well, currently though, there aren't many listings.
I believe there's a 2 acre minimum lot size in most parts of town if you do deceide to build.
Check out the nearby towns of Ashford, Union and Woodstock for more options.
Ashford! How did I forget to mention Ashford? Another good possible choice for the OP. Jay

Old 07-02-2018, 12:19 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3 View Post
Thanks for your replies. All good points. I have a budget of around $375k and I'm looking for a 1700 sq. ft. ranch. Right now I live in central Pa. in the middle of a corn field so (literally) I don't mind rural, but I need more amenities than the local feed store. My main goal is to be near my two daughters and grandchildren with close access to good medical facilities. Right now for any major medical issue (which I've experienced) it's 2.5 hours to Pittsburgh!

I've looked on line at houses for sale but I'm concerned about the crumbling foundation thing so when you look outside that envelope there isn't much to pick from in the way of single level living. I understand that in that part of the state there isn't the populated neighborhoods and thats OK with me. ( I lived in Stratford for many years)

I don't plan on putting my house on the market until next spring so I have time on my side to do the research.

If you are concerned about distances to hospitals, you may want to look at a hospital on a map then branch out from there. In eastern CT there is Manchester hospital, Rockville general hospital, and Backus Hospital (in Norwich).

For small town living with access to hospitals (Manchester & Rockville) I would suggest, Tolland, Ellington, Bolton.

For Norwich check towns, such as Ledyard, Lebanon, Preston, Franklin. These areas are more rural than the other areas around (Manchester & Rockville) though.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:42 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If you are concerned about distances to hospitals, you may want to look at a hospital on a map then branch out from there. In eastern CT there is Manchester hospital, Rockville general hospital, and Backus Hospital (in Norwich).

For small town living with access to hospitals (Manchester & Rockville) I would suggest, Tolland, Ellington, Bolton.

For Norwich check towns, such as Ledyard, Lebanon, Preston, Franklin. These areas are more rural than the other areas around (Manchester & Rockville) though.

There are also other hospitals such as Day-Kimball in Putnam, Johnson Memorial in Stafford Springs, and Windham in Willimantic.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:12 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
I would add Coventry in to the list. Ashford is good Bolton as well but parts of those towns are getting alot further away from Hospitals on the CT side. Of course if you get out near Brooklyn now your near Providence for medical.

In the more rural areas Land can get down to 30-40k for a decent building lot but your right the average will be closer to 70k. I know a coworker a few years ago got a lot in Lebanon with around an acre for around 35k.

On taxes while in general CT is high there can be some big differences. Ashford and Windham will be less then Coventry and Tolland I believe. Look at tax history on similar houses in each town it may save you 2-3k a year in property tax.

New building in CT tends to be more expensive then the midwest and the south based on what I have seen. I think you may be better off buying someplace and renovating to your taste. NE CT has some great deals on houses. It also kind of depends on what you want I have a cousin who was OK with less then average kitchen etc (she always eats out) but wanted a new house and she had one built for around 170 a sq ft. in Hartford county so it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut