Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:03 AM

73 posts, read 75,369 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I think we’re talking about 2 different colleges. She wants to attend MIddlesex Community College. Did I forget the X in MXCC? Apologies if I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:56 PM

464 posts, read 312,408 times
[quote=JayCT;53774336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post

I disagree. House appreciation is tied directly to desirability and Glastonbury is considered to be one of the most desirable towns in greater Hartford. It has most of the things people look for when selecting a town to live in: good schools, shopping, restaurants, convenience, access to employment, etc. Desirability means homeowners will have the best chance to sell their home in the future and sell it for the best price. That should mean a lot when making what is likely the biggest purchase of your life. Jay
I’m not disagreeing with you, I think I’m just thinking about it differently. To me, every reason you listed is a number one reason to consider a town (schools, safety, shopping, restaurants, commute time). While you are correct, those things tend to equate to ease of selling down the road, it does NOT necessarily equate to APPRECIATION. If Glastonbury maintains high property taxes, and interest rates continue to rise and stay “high” (high based on people’s perception, not historical), I wouldn’t count on that $350K house appreciating a ton in the next 10 years. Easier to sell because of the town? Sure, but to say Glastonbury is the choice because of appreciation? I’m sure that’s just assumptions not based on facts.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Oh, Middlesex, not Manchester. I really think that you should consider somewhere along route 9, like Berlin, Cromwell, Portland. Route 9 is an under-used highway, never has traffic unless there's an accident. It would be an easier commute for your husband, and easy drive for your daughter.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:45 PM

Thanks, those towns are also on my list especially with the lower tax rate in Portland and Berlin.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:46 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
I have seen the market slow significantly in West Hartford since the new federal tax bill passed limiting state and local tax deductions to 10K. I would not be surprised if you were to find that it is a buyer's market now in central CT. I would also seriously consider how much house you want to buy, and town tax rates, because of the fact that probably your house and car property taxes will largely not be deductible, after you consider wage tax on your husband's salary. So lower tax rate becomes more attractive now, since the government is no longer paying a third or more of your property taxes.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Thanks. With my 2 sons out on their own and my daughter probably not far behind, we’re going much smaller & less complicated house wise. My husband retires in 18 years and depending on how our life is shaking out in Central CT, we might be heading back to RI at that time.
I thank everyone for their sound advice. I may be back for a town comparison when it’s actual buy time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut