Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 06:00 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times

Advertisements

Now I want to stalk Darien social media pages to listen to these mothers crying about not being able to open their kids milk.

I wouldn't expect Darien has student to teacher ratio issues, where the parents need to help with conflicts and finding things? Seriously one of the most bizarre things I've ever read.

We were happy if one of our parents could make an at home game. Lunch - the only parents there would be the cafeteria workers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 06:11 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Never heard of that, either. The adults could also get free lunch from the school?

By law no; but these were PS students in low income areas or whatever getting free breakfast/lunch and even dinner.

Cannot recall exactly how it all went down but think things flared up during last recession and combined with the Obamas taking on "healthy school lunch" programs. This and many schools in low to moderate income areas are now have made school meals (breakfast, lunch and even late afternoon dinner) free to anyone who wants in order to reduce any stigma.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:18 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well I have heard of parents showing up at their kids school during lunch, but it was always low income who went to get part or an entire free lunch because otherwise they wouldn't eat.

I've never heard of this and I would love to see a news story highlighting this practice.

I have heard of some schools sending kids home on Fridays with food for the weekends. In that case I would guess that food would also be shared among the school kids family.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:49 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
I've never heard of this being done on a routine basis, unless the parents are volunteering as lunchroom monitors in an underfunded school system. Hardly the case in Darien.

I have a young elementary child and can't imagine the disruption this sort of thing creates during the school day on a routine basis. It is bad enough on the occasional days when the school hosts a parent/child event and no child wants a parent to leave.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:50 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
I was shocked to find out that this was allowed in West Hartford. Seems to me to be disruptive to the routine of the school day. The little kids love it. It makes them feel special when a parent shows up to eat lunch with them. But still, it seems absurd to allow this. After all, how do the other kids feel when someone else's parent shows up at lunch?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I say enough tagging on helicopter parents and get on the uninvolved parents who are the chief reason for the poor education in America today. Priorities, people.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Now I want to stalk Darien social media pages to listen to these mothers crying about not being able to open their kids milk.

I wouldn't expect Darien has student to teacher ratio issues, where the parents need to help with conflicts and finding things? Seriously one of the most bizarre things I've ever read.

We were happy if one of our parents could make an at home game. Lunch - the only parents there would be the cafeteria workers!
Haha you should see the drama on our local Facebook groups and Nextdoor pages.. it's hysterical.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:53 AM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
I'd love to see something confirming this as well as I find it hard to believe any school system would allow this. Parent eating a french fry off the tray, sure. Parent getting a partial or entire free lunch with school's limited budgets? Hard to fathom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I've never heard of this and I would love to see a news story highlighting this practice.

I have heard of some schools sending kids home on Fridays with food for the weekends. In that case I would guess that food would also be shared among the school kids family.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:01 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I say enough tagging on helicopter parents and get on the uninvolved parents who are the chief reason for the poor education in America today. Priorities, people.
That is true. Ask any educator and they will tell you that this is the major problem with failing schools. Jay

Old 11-29-2018, 11:31 AM

696 posts, read 703,841 times
I couldn't believe this when I heard it on the news. Parents going to school at lunchtime? How long has this been going on? It didn't happen when I was in school, and I never heard of it happening when my kids were in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut