Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 07:59 PM

205 posts, read 162,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I just saw that.

I wonder why the mall management in Milford and Trumbull didn’t get on the curfew bandwagon. It seems to have worked at Manchester and Meriden.
Don't know if Meriden has one. Brass Mill in Waterbury was the other one along with Buckland Hills that publicized it.

The worst/saddest thing is that all the perpetrators of this madness will get off with a slap on the wrist and suffer no permanent consequences that will make them think twice about doing it again. It's as if parents and schools have stopped teaching the concept that actions have consequences, and just coddle kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 08:04 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
The focus of mall management should be the 90% of the revenue brought in by middle income adults, well past the teen thug years, in nearby towns. If it takes a full fledged ban on unchaperoned teens, so be it. If that takes many on and off duty Milford cops at all times, so be it. If it takes banning buses from bringing unchaperoned kids or better still not allowing a stop at the mall itself by a bus, so be it. If folks protest, they should be ignored, unless they are part of the 90% of revenue stream.

This played out, with similar incidents, at the closed Chapel Square Mall in New Haven. Like Milford, they also under-reacted.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:05 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
Don't know if Meriden has one. Brass Mill in Waterbury was the other one along with Buckland Hills that publicized it.

The worst/saddest thing is that all the perpetrators of this madness will get off with a slap on the wrist and suffer no permanent consequences that will make them think twice about doing it again. It's as if parents and schools have stopped teaching the concept that actions have consequences, and just coddle kids.
Not just parents and schools, but the politicians and state law, as well.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:53 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
It seems that these brawls, which clearly are being organized on social media, are occurring during winter vacation, right after Christmas, and of course not early in the day. Perhaps malls could ban unaccompanied teens under 18 from December 26th through December 31st, from, say, 1 PM through closing. These teens are not going to get up out of bed in the morning in order to go hold a mass brawl.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:04 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Unfortunately, our state lawmakers do not believe in holding juveniles accountable for anything, hence the reason why this is becoming a regular occurrence. These little city rats don’t need a safe space or a crying room so much as they need a good boot in the ass. I am so waiting for the day when someone gets fed up and takes the law into their own hands and retaliates against one of these little thugs. The woke police will cry racism, the media will blow it up, but when the smoke clears nothing will change.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:07 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Oh, Brass Mills and Buckland Hills already did it - curfews for teens this holiday season, requiring supervision for them during the holiday shopping season, on Friday and Saturday evenings from Thanksgiving on, and from 1 PM until closing from December 26th until the vacation is over. And guess what? No brawls at those malls this year. I can't imagine that they lost much revenue from teens looking for a fight choosing to go to all the malls that did NOT implement curfews! I sure hope that Westfarms does this, so that they won't be calling for the local police departments to put themselves at risk of accusations of excessive use of force, when they're asked to come put down an entirely preventable planned teenage riot.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:27 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
The day after Xmas is known as "Boxing Day". I'm sure many of you know this......so these kids are taking it as an invitation to be stupid. Eliminating Food courts.....well these stores have leases so I don't think so. Not many restaurants really want to locate in these malls any more.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:34 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Unfortunately, re: low cost, the Milford (and Trumbull) malls rebranded themselves to cater to the lowest common denominator. Simply put, the stores are garbage, for the most part. We can thank Westfield for that.
The malls are fighting for survival. They will take what they can get to pay the bills which are not insignificant. It's not like they are turning away better tenants.
This is also why the SoNo mall will hurt the weaker older malls.
As customers seek out a better experience, the weaker malls have to lower standards to survive. There is not enough $$ chasing hi end malls for all to survive.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Unfortunately, our state lawmakers do not believe in holding juveniles accountable for anything, hence the reason why this is becoming a regular occurrence. These little city rats don’t need a safe space or a crying room so much as they need a good boot in the ass. I am so waiting for the day when someone gets fed up and takes the law into their own hands and retaliates against one of these little thugs. The woke police will cry racism, the media will blow it up, but when the smoke clears nothing will change.
Excellent point. Not on same scale, but coincidentally, yesterday was the 35th anniversary of the Bernard Goetz reaction to having his safety threatened. (Saw it on NYC thread)

I could easily imagine your scenario at any mall in this nation, any state, if this keeps happening. That is why I hope the mall gets that things must change 180 degrees.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 12-27-2019 at 02:50 AM..

Old 12-27-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
The malls are fighting for survival. They will take what they can get to pay the bills which are not insignificant. It's not like they are turning away better tenants.
This is also why the SoNo mall will hurt the weaker older malls.
As customers seek out a better experience, the weaker malls have to lower standards to survive. There is not enough $$ chasing hi end malls for all to survive.
The race to bottom feed will ultimately destroy this mall. When I see what happened several times now, I am reminded of my favorite 1980s era NY advertising antidote. Upscale mall courted by tabloid to advertise, marketing says "No. Your readers are our shoplifters".

Same concept. These thugs reduced the quantity of respectable, higher disposable income shoppers at the same mall.From a bottom line perspective, that is a losing proposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut