Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 03:44 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Kid,

There's pressure of scrutiny when it comes to sources. The affidavits fell apart and weren't credible because they were made up, and that was clear. And while eye witness testimony should be taken with a grain of salt the people there presented a coherent, consistent, and pretty verifiable record of account that they have stuck by. That's a huge difference.

As for the police causing lots of the riots... This is a well known phenomena for police:

"There’s 50 years of research on violence at protests, dating back to the three federal commissions formed between 1967 and 1970. All three concluded that when police escalate force—using weapons, tear gas, mass arrests and other tools to make protesters do what the police want—those efforts can often go wrong, creating the very violence that force was meant to prevent. "

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...protests-wrong

This is why actuate event intel is crucial: if the assemblys initial goal is peaceful, over action by departments will likely cause more trouble than if appropriate force was employed. Some departments did great, where we saw issues was very distinctly where police (possibly with good intentions) were inappropriate. CTs departments had a light touch approach and we didn't see any big riots. It's not coincidence. I understand good policing is half science and art, but where we saw craziness departments lost sight of both. And not delusional on my part whatsoever at that

And I'm not saying "Republicans bad" writ large, from what I've seen I really like Baker, Sununu, Hogan... What I am saying is that other portions of the National GOP had lost their minds and had be given oxygen to very dangerous undercurrents of American society for their partisan ambitions and that's quisling territory. People protesting to lower taxes? Go for it. People protesting to rid the country of democracy and then attempting an uprising? Not ok.

If the GOP spearheaded impeachment after the "both sides" after that unite the right deadly rally I'd applaud the national party.. but naw they tried to cover that garbage, bought the ticket, and now are going to hate the ride.
Fifty years of research means very little as policing has changed, society has changed, laws have changed, etc. Police response in 1950 is absolutely nothing like police response today - for the better. You can’t type with a straight face that police caused the rioting when many, many agencies found buses full of explosives, hard debris, instigators, etc. Were many demonstrations peaceful? Sure. But you can’t tell me looting at Target or burning a Wendy’s to the ground was instigated due to excessive use of force. These shenanigans were planned and had zero to do with police response. Full stop.

Connecticut didn’t have rioting because, simply put, Connecticut is very politically unimportant. If anyone in Connecticut wanted to protest in a big way, they’d go to NYC. That said, CT does have amongst the strictest hiring standards and most rigorous police training (POST), which is also used in CA and FL. CT also adopted the San Jose model of field training, which is also incredibly rigorous and greatly reduces those who slip through the cracks. There is a reason CT, FL, CA, NJ and MA law enforcement agencies are highly regarded. That’s the reason, so it shouldn’t go unnoticed.

We do agree re the societal damage caused by this fringe right wing. We don’t agree that the left wing can be just as damaging. I wholeheartedly disagree with the shunning of GOP led social media accounts and the elimination of Parler (sp?). A lot of vitriol is spewed on social media by the left wing as well, yet it’s allowed to remain. While they’re private companies, and can do as they please, it’s an attempt at suppression that I just cannot get behind. I’m of the mindset that, if you don’t like what the right wing is spewing, expose them. It’s a helluva lot more effective than silencing.

Anyway, we’re getting waaaay off topic and I’m certain we’re about to get reprimanded by Jay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 04:26 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
I think we're still somewhat on topic as we're talking about the main driving factors of the GOP.

I will say that our in CT departments wide and large have been well run recently, and their work should be commended. I would recommend reading the entire article I posted, however it paints a much wider and current picture. There was certainly criminality pre-planned and as far as I'm concerned thats conspiracy.

And I'm not saying left wing extremists can't be a danger, just right now they aren't to any discernable degree. This could always change, but it's not appropriate at this moment to discuss with the level of pressing danger elsewhere.

And last point I understand your reluctant nature for platforms to limit major figures... Just as a student of history I'm scared for a "cut down the tall trees" moment in us politics, of which we got extemely close hate to say. There's no doubt certain leaders of a certain party would try such a move which has borne or by their actions.

Edit: sadly this country is having yet another core discussion on the roots of two distinct American ideals of "liberty": the "freedom to" and the "freedom from" of which as a Yankee I'm very much in the latter as being a the Americas promise.

Last edited by Beeker2211; 01-16-2021 at 04:50 PM..

Old 01-16-2021, 06:09 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-party/617707/

This is so good of an op-ed. It touches on all sides but by damn does Sasse have his finger on the pulse, even if I somewhat disagree on the fountain head of the issue.

Every facet of regular society has failed people including the church. Too many are untethered and looking for easy solutions where none really exist. I'm lucky I'm where my ancestors have lived for centuries but many in this country have been told fantasies that now have to face the wider society which the majority don't subscribe to even though the crazies think it's just a matter of course.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:01 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
It's not quite "democratic" but I think we should abandon the primary system and just have the parties go back to backing lists of candidates. Turnout is usually abysmal for them and it's just another thing on voters plate they don't want to deal with. Of course with that we should have some sort of instant runoff voting of some sort for general elections to make it competitive but right now the primary system is broken.
As CTArtist (I think) posted above, CT has more Unaffiliated registered voters than any other party. Maybe if the primaries were open, turnout would improve.

I like that we the people have a chance to narrow the field a bit, before election day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
My understanding is that CT state law says that only affiliated voters may participate in the primaries BUT, a party may allow a non-affiliated voter participate in it's primary. It looks like it's the parties that control the process.

Years ago here in MA, an unenrolled voter could select either party and then have to fill out a form at exit to return to unaffiliated. Now an unenrolled voter can select any ballot and remain unrolled.
Yes, I remember reading that too. But would that have still been a law passed?

I have friends who live in MA and they said they get checked off as having voted in the primary as an unaffiliated. I don't know if a D can vote R or vice versa, but unaffilateds have no issues.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:16 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Yes, I remember reading that too. But would that have still been a law passed?

I have friends who live in MA and they said they get checked off as having voted in the primary as an unaffiliated. I don't know if a D can vote R or vice versa, but unaffilateds have no issues.
Here is the CT Law:

(a) No person shall be permitted to vote at a primary of a party unless (1) he is on the last-completed enrollment list of such party in the municipality or voting district, as the case may be, or (2) if authorized by the state rules of such party filed pursuant to section 9-374, he is an unaffiliated elector in the municipality or voting district, as the case may be, provided if two or more such parties are holding primaries on the same day in such municipality or voting district, whether for the same offices or different offices, such unaffiliated elector may vote in the primary of only one such party. Such state party rules may authorize unaffiliated electors to vote for some or all offices to be contested at its primaries.

As for the second, you will be given a primary ballot for the party you are registered for here in MA. It's not an open primary. When checking in and out, your ballot choice is noted for auditing purposes.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:17 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
In light of the National Republican Party’s response (or lack of response) to the insurrection on January 6th, many prominent Republicans are leaving the party. This week’s stripping of top Republican Liz Cheney’s position as the No. 3 Republican has pushed many to walk as well.

Here in Glastonbury, prominent Town Councilman Chip Becket resigned the party and the council’s top Republican.

Even more prominent though is the party resignation of four top West Hartford Republicans from the party and their joining a resurrected A Connecticut Party which was formed by former Republican Lowell Wiecker when he ran for Governor back in 1990.

As a Republican I can’t say I blame them. I am seriously considering joining them.

In my view the party has lost any trace of integrity with their hypocrisy in nominating and approving a Supreme Court Justice in seven weeks when four years ago they claimed seven months was too close to the election; their open acceptance of racists and terrorists in the party; their continued support of Donald Trump and his unending claim he won the election without any proof what so ever; the lack of wanting accountability for the events of the January 6th insurrection which I view as breaking their oath of office to uphold the US Constitution; the attack and actions taken against party members who aren’t blindly toting the party line and speaking out against what happened and upholding the Constitution; and now their attempts to rewrite history by distorting the timeline and what actually lead up to and what happened on January 6th. Like them I just can’t be a part, even remotely, of this. The party has sunk to a low that would have been unfathomable five years ago. I find it disgusting and have little tolerance for those that can’t even see a part of it.

Do any other Connecticut Republicans feel the same way? Are any others seriously considering leaving? If so' are you joining another party or going independent? Jay

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...pli-story.html

Moderator’s Note: I realize this topic is based on actions and issues not exclusively related to Connecticut. I will try to be tolerant of posts that are off topic to the forum as long as they tie back to our state. Please be thoughtful, respectful and tolerant of other people’s opinions and not go off on an off topic rant. JayCT, Moderator

Old 05-15-2021, 10:23 AM

I’m no longer in Connecticut but I have spent enough time there (30 years), and only left a few years ago, that my fiscal conservatism and social moderate opinions stick with me.

Some Republicans I know are a bit too far right for me - anti mask, anti vaccine, anti covid, conspiracy theorists, etc. Last year, while viewing the liberal progressives attack law enforcement, cancel culture, etc, I went from Independent to Republican. I think I’m still technically Republican (here in FL, we can change online), but I do have many issues with their agendas. I’m all over the board when it comes to issues, as I suspect most Americans are. Pro law and order, pro gay rights, limited taxation, pro amnesty for immigrants (but tightening the borders), emissions reduction, and very pro gun control.

If a presidential election were held today, I would vote third party. I can’t get behind the Republicans and the Democratic Party has thoroughly disgusted me over the past year. I think it’s time for a third party, but we’ve been saying that for years and it never happens.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:19 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m no longer in Connecticut but I have spent enough time there (30 years), and only left a few years ago, that my fiscal conservatism and social moderate opinions stick with me.

Some Republicans I know are a bit too far right for me - anti mask, anti vaccine, anti covid, conspiracy theorists, etc. Last year, while viewing the liberal progressives attack law enforcement, cancel culture, etc, I went from Independent to Republican. I think I’m still technically Republican (here in FL, we can change online), but I do have many issues with their agendas. I’m all over the board when it comes to issues, as I suspect most Americans are. Pro law and order, pro gay rights, limited taxation, pro amnesty for immigrants (but tightening the borders), emissions reduction, and very pro gun control.

If a presidential election were held today, I would vote third party. I can’t get behind the Republicans and the Democratic Party has thoroughly disgusted me over the past year. I think it’s time for a third party, but we’ve been saying that for years and it never happens.
Holy cow, are we surprisingly close on the issues. I think I’m more tolerant of taxes but the rest are spot on. You don’t say if you are pro life or pro choice. For just myself I am pro life but when it comes to the general public I am pro choice. The reason is while I love children and know I can handle raising them, I know that not everyone is like me. Many just shouldn’t have kids or can’t handle the responsibilities.

That said I don’t think I’d vote for a third party unless they were strong in size and more moderate than either party. My hope is that the Republican Party splits in two with the far right going off on its own and taking all the “Deplorables” with them. That would leave the more moderate, those with integrity and those who put upholding the Constitution above everything else to remain. That may happen. Fingers crossed. Jay

Old 05-15-2021, 01:04 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Holy cow, are we surprisingly close on the issues. I think I’m more tolerant of taxes but the rest are spot on. You don’t say if you are pro life or pro choice. For just myself I am pro life but when it comes to the general public I am pro choice. The reason is while I love children and know I can handle raising them, I know that not everyone is like me. Many just shouldn’t have kids or can’t handle the responsibilities.
Jay - that is the perfect answer

To Kid etc: I really wish we didn't have any parties. Just everyone do your research and vote for who you think can do the best job.

While cleaning last year, I found my first voter registration card that said Republican. I was pretty surprised as to the best of my knowledge, I had been unaffiliated for all my voting life, but I guess not.

Up through Obama's first run, I typically voted Dem on the national level. I switched to Republican last winter so I could vote in the primaries. I knew I could vote however I wanted come the actual election but I don't think I've ever done a primary before and felt it was important this time.

I will change back to unaffiliated though, unless the next primary is just as messed up as 2020 was. The past 7 or so years though, I have typically leaned Republican in most cases.

<edit> And I guess I'm not a rabid anything. From Kid's list: I have no issues with masks, I am unvaccinated (medical reasons, dr approved), I believe in covid (though question all the back and forth). I'm against cancel culture, pro law and order, pro gay rights, limited taxation, I have no issues with gun ownership (though I don't own any), will not give up my old ICE cars and wish our borders were a lot tighter.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

That said I don’t think I’d vote for a third party unless they were strong in size and more moderate than either party. My hope is that the Republican Party splits in two with the far right going off on its own and taking all the “Deplorables” with them. That would leave the more moderate, those with integrity and those who put upholding the Constitution above everything else to remain. That may happen. Fingers crossed. Jay
I realize I forgot to answer this.

Re abortion, in my personal life, I am pro life. For anyone else, who am I to dictate what they do? Who is anyone to dictate such? Now very late term, I may have some issues with, but I don’t feel strongly enough about it to go along with a certain talking point.

If by “deplorables” you mean anyone who voted for Trump, you would be alienating 74 million people! If you mean just the fringe right, I agree. I wish the looney left would do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut