Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 09:18 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Thank you so much for your insights. Clearly, the state of the CT GOP is worse than I thought. This is where visionary leadership is required and it's clear that it is lacking within CT GOP. I went to GOP fundraising dinner in Greenwich and the entire program/ most of the conversations were on the national level and Trump sycophants were out in full force. The GOP, both in CT and on the national level, lacks an urban/inner ring suburban policy -- which is a damn shame as many Democrat machines are running these critical areas into the ground.

There isn't any city in CT or nationwide that has been led by Republicans that also do not have the same issues as Democrat led cities. If it were that easy all the Democrat led cities could just copy what the Republican led cities do and be done with it.

Republicans do not have a policy regarding cities because they do not care about poor people and they are dishonest.

The last honest Republican IMO was Paul Ryan. He wanted to cut all kinds of programs which mainly benefited poor and disabled people and told us to our faces how and why he wanted to do that.

Paul Ryan was so disgusted with Trump et al he just gave up and quit. Its going to take years if not decades before another Republican like Ryan to emerge that actually has some power to try to implement similar polices.

Last edited by MrGompers; 05-25-2021 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 10:15 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
There isn't any city in CT or nationwide that has been led by Republicans that also do not have the same issues as Democrat led cities. If it were that easy all the Democrat led cities could just copy what the Republican led cities do and be done with it.
I've often said that if select men of affluent so-called well run towns took control of so-called poorly run cities by their standards they would be at a complete loss. The deck has been stacked so bad institutionally that they'd have issues, even ignoring those "well run" towns have their own corruption issues.

But beating up on cities is easy, after all.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:11 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

Republicans do not have a policy regarding cities because they do not care about poor people and they are dishonest.

The last honest Republican IMO was Paul Ryan. He wanted to cut all kinds of programs which mainly benefited poor and disabled people and told us to our faces how and why he wanted to do that.

Paul Ryan was so disgusted with Trump et al he just gave up and quit. Its going to take years if not decades before another Republican like Ryan to emerge that actually has some power to try to implement similar polices.
Anyone who thinks a Democrat would just copy what a Republican would do isn’t paying attention to national politics. Too much confirmation bias and party loyalty. Let’s not fool ourselves.

Some of the most fiscally healthy communities in the state have a heavily Republican presence. All of the cities in dire fiscal health are heavily Democratic. That’s not a coincidence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtn...d-charges/amp/

Then there’s this.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:44 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Anyone who thinks a Democrat would just copy what a Republican would do isn’t paying attention to national politics. Too much confirmation bias and party loyalty. Let’s not fool ourselves.

Some of the most fiscally healthy communities in the state have a heavily Republican presence. All of the cities in dire fiscal health are heavily Democratic. That’s not a coincidence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtn...d-charges/amp/

Then there’s this.
It's somewhat self-fulfilling. Not many fiscally-healthy cities contain disproportionately large numbers of people who are in the lowest income levels. In CT, the cities are recipients of those shutout of more affluent towns due to lack of affordable housing options. Those of lower economic power do not have high participation rates in home ownership. Multifamily, apartments, and other housing options for those who cannot afford to own a home pay much lower taxes on a per capita basis. Suburbs know this and highly restrict this type of housing. Therefore, the funding of the services in cities (which are in greater demand by those with lower incomes) is considerably more difficult than a community with the majority of its residents living in single-family homes (and in higher income brackets).

The problem with the current GOP is they appear to refuse to recognize at all the fact that there are a fair number of people who will need support, among them people with significant mental health problems, physical and intellectual disabilities, and serious addiction problems. They overly simplify the solution as a job growth problem whereas for some of the people involved gainful employment may never be realistic. In CT, the GOP gets more pushback on social issues yet they continue to parrot the national theme largely dictated by southern-state political structure. On the other hand, many of the policies developed by Democrats often look at solving every problem by just providing more money. This often results in significant waste, poor oversight, and inefficiency (the current problems being experienced as a result broad-based stimulus and unemployment stipends are a case-in-point) In CT, the Democrats appear to continue to push policy that looks to create a situation where a solid middle class lifestyle can be achieved regardless of the job one does (or doesn't do). It is in essence the blueprint for a guaranteed minimum income.

Both parties are guilty of using this money for their own special purposes without real concern of how it effects the average citizen. This problem occurs at all levels of government but grows exponentially the further it is removed from local control. Solving the root-level problems does involve money but it isn't driven by money. It's a macro issue with a well-developed plan that links the critical needs and wants of the community for the future with business, education, and policy to implement the plan. Better coordination of resources among communities on a local and regional level and the elimination of duplicitous structures at the state level can go a long way. I think that Lamont is making some progress on that front.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:47 AM

34,935 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Jay, I share your disgust at what is happening to the GOP on the national level. I am flat out saddened by CT GOP. However I request that you don't throw in the towel and walk away because:

1. Both parties need moderates like us. To provide the voice of reason.
2. You should look into getting involved on the local level so that your voice of reason can be heard.
3. We cannot and should not continue to let the fringe dominate the inter and intra party dialogues.

I support the Republican Main Street Partnership on the national level for the reasons described above: https://www.republicanmainstreet.org/

As for CT GOP, get involved Jay! I can't vote for you as I no longer live in the state however you'll have moral/financial support.
I am involved as much as I can be and I advocate for people to be involved all the time. I am in contact with local and state Republican leaders in an effort to be a voice of reason but it’s hard to keep doing that when you see the things they do.

You are right that we should not give up the party but when I see what despicable things are happening within the party and on the national level, it’s hard to remain. The fact that the party refuses to even consider looking into holding those accountable for the January 6th insurrection tells me that they are concerned more about party and power than the US Constitution. That’s unforgivable. Jay

Old 05-26-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I second this. I also don’t believe people are “walking away” at a rate any different than in the past. Anecdotally, I’ve also seen many leave the Democratic Party based on what we experienced last year. My better half was one of those.
I’m not sure that is true. It is pretty clear that a lot of Republicans walked after January 6th.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/u...ing-party.html

The percentage gap of Democrats verses Republicans is widening.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...oters-n1264425

But more importantly, there are a lot of prominent Republicans that are ready to split off from the party. I previously posted about several prominent Glastonbury and West Hartford Republicans that have walked. That’s very concerning, or at the very least should be. Jay

https://www.businessinsider.com/repu...t-trump-2021-5

Old 05-26-2021, 08:36 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure that is true. It is pretty clear that a lot of Republicans walked after January 6th.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/u...ing-party.html

The percentage gap of Democrats verses Republicans is widening.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...oters-n1264425

But more importantly, there are a lot of prominent Republicans that are ready to split off from the party. I previously posted about several prominent Glastonbury and West Hartford Republicans that have walked. That’s very concerning, or at the very least should be. Jay

https://www.businessinsider.com/repu...t-trump-2021-5
Eh, sharing articles from the biased media does little to prove a point. It should be no surprise to anyone these days that the media is not our friend. That, and the NBC article uses Gallup’s polling as an example. They have a history of accuracy issues and, I believe in the 2012 election, they were found to be dead last in accuracy amongst the election polling. The business insider article mentions a lot of empty threats but doesn’t bring much of substance to the table. I don’t think these three sources are concrete enough to justify a “sky is falling” stance when it comes to the party.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:31 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
I second this. I also don’t believe people are “walking away” at a rate any different than in the past. Anecdotally, I’ve also seen many leave the Democratic Party based on what we experienced last year. My better half was one of those.
Third. Jay, I think it's time to cut the chord with the Republican party, and just register as an Independent. I did this myself years ago, and have had no qualms about it. And if anyone questions this decision (not that it's any of their business), just tell them what I told my conservative relatives: I didn't leave the Republican party -- the Republican party left me.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:44 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Eh, sharing articles from the biased media does little to prove a point. It should be no surprise to anyone these days that the media is not our friend. That, and the NBC article uses Gallup’s polling as an example. They have a history of accuracy issues and, I believe in the 2012 election, they were found to be dead last in accuracy amongst the election polling. The business insider article mentions a lot of empty threats but doesn’t bring much of substance to the table. I don’t think these three sources are concrete enough to justify a “sky is falling” stance when it comes to the party.
The party does suck, but the other party is even worse. That's the sad reality of the situation.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:44 PM

We need to get back to the topic of the OP which is the Connecticut Republican Party. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut