Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 05:28 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Biden talks about raising Capital gains to 39.6% and eliminating 1031 tax breaks.
Don't think he believes it will happen either. Though in his poor condition who really knows....

It's simply a negotiating point. Stef we all knew could never erase income tax completely.
Those here should know to never believe any political promise regardless of party.

But to support the Democratic party just makes zero sense. It's like we're all starring in the movie
Idiocracy !
Amen. 25 years ago, we regularly lured businesses to Connecticut from other states, in larger quantities than we lost that same battle. 25 years ago, we did not rank near the bottom for Business Friendliness. We have messed up royally during that time, and gigantic government growth at the state level played a huge role in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 08:18 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We can't eliminate the income tax solely due to liberal overspending. Had our cost of goverment increased at the COL rate (56% in 20 years, not 110%). our budget would be $11 billion less annually. That could easily fund a huge reduction in state income tax levels. The tax rates have gone up sharply since the tax was added by Weicker. LIBERALS increased our cost of government the last 20 years.

I do agree the income tax cannot go, but with cost control, it could be reduced sharply simply by spending 20 years with Ct cost of government rising half as fast as national COL, instead of DOUBLE the national rate.
You seem to forget our state had 20 years of Republican Governors from 1991 to 2011. They weren’t liberals and they did NOTHING to control spending either. In fact, Jodi Rell borrowed $1 billion to balance her budget. How is that controlling spending?

That doesn’t matter though, the fact is Bob Stefanowski made it a part of his campaign that he would eliminate the income tax. I know that we can’t do that and you may know that too but not all voters do. So why even propose it? I’ll tell you why, he was pandering to voters who are ignorant. Fortunately most voters knew that too which is why Stefanowski lost. Jay

Old 06-01-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Biden talks about raising Capital gains to 39.6% and eliminating 1031 tax breaks.
Don't think he believes it will happen either. Though in his poor condition who really knows....

It's simply a negotiating point. Stef we all knew could never erase income tax completely.
Those here should know to never believe any political promise regardless of party.

But to support the Democratic party just makes zero sense. It's like we're all starring in the movie
Idiocracy !
So you admit Stefanowski is lying to voters when he says he will eliminate the income tax? You are ready to vote for an out and out liar? Have we really sunk that low? To me and the majority of Connecticut voters it makes “zero sense” to vote for a liar.

You are right it is idiotic, but what was idiotic was nominating an extreme candidate in a state that leans liberal. That’s been the Republican’s problem, they keep nominating unelectable candidates. If that continues, you can rest assured that our state will continue to elect Democrats. Jay

Old 06-01-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You seem to forget our state had 20 years of Republican Governors from 1991 to 2011.
and 0 of Republicans controlling the legislature which actually votes on budgets, Jay.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/senate-vot...80bf2968e.html

Old 06-01-2021, 10:30 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
Quote:
So you admit Stefanowski is lying to voters when he says he will eliminate the income tax? You are ready to vote for an out and out liar? Have we really sunk that low? To me and the majority of Connecticut voters it makes “zero sense” to vote for a liar.

You are right it is idiotic, but what was idiotic was nominating an extreme candidate in a state that leans liberal. That’s been the Republican’s problem, they keep nominating unelectable candidates. If that continues, you can rest assured that our state will continue to elect Democrats. Jay
Well I'm not in his head. Can you simply go to zero overnight. No.
The problem with big govt is that's it's well......big.

My kids always wanted extra money or allowance too. Funny how they can spend whatever they are given and still "need" more!?

"Ready to vote for an out and out liar"? Let's not be naive here. All politicians lie.
Job #1 get elected. They are all egomaniacs. It's a job requirement. Once in office they will say or do whatever it takes to get votes. It's always been whose the least ugly wins.

Something CT used to win at by being a cheaper COL than it's surrounding's.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:

"Ready to vote for an out and out liar"? Let's not be naive here. All politicians lie.
Job #1 get elected. They are all egomaniacs. It's a job requirement. Once in office they will say or do whatever it takes to get votes. It's always been whose the least ugly wins.

Great points.

We had many politicians flip flopping all over the Ct State Income Tax during the era it passed, btw.

I am of the opinion Lincoln was our last honest politician. Forever. Like hedge funds, or law firms, the occupation does not attract people of high moral fiber.

PS: Ct used to advertise on New Haven line trains for businesses to move from neighboring states to SAVE money. Advertised we were Income Tax Free.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-02-2021 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment

Old 06-02-2021, 07:02 AM

538 posts, read 331,691 times
Quote:

My kids always wanted extra money or allowance too. Funny how they can spend whatever they are given and still "need" more!?

Your household is basically run under a communistic regime in your example, yet you wouldn't advocate for communism.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and 0 of Republicans controlling the legislature which actually votes on budgets, Jay.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/senate-vot...80bf2968e.html
The Governor prepares the budget. I don’t remember any major battles over budgets back then except for Jodi Rell’s last one and that wasn’t much of a battle. I’m sorry but the Republicans talk a good game about fiscal responsibility but the truth is they fall way short on follow through. Let me also remind you of their transportation funding proposal which was to borrow billions with no plan to pay for it. That is hardly fiscal responsibility. Jay

Old 06-02-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:

It’s not true that all politicians lies and to justify outrageous and completely unreal campaign promises just encourages poor leadership. When did our country grow to expect so little from its leaders? There was a time the character and integrity meant something but that seems extremely lacking today and it begins here. Don’t allow candidates to make promises like “wonderful infrastructure plans” or “fabulous healthcare” without delivering. I’m sorry but that is not acceptable. Jay

Old 06-02-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The Governor prepares the budget. I don’t remember any major battles over budgets back then except for Jodi Rell’s last one and that wasn’t much of a battle.
and our legislature would never pass even a moderate one. That is why our fiscal mess occurred. Slowly doing better now fro a balance standpoint, but the cost was one of the highest taxation costs per resident or business nationally, which has harmed our economy. We need government cost control for a change, not simply a tax more mentality for spending like drunken sailors year in, year out.

Unless our legislature becomes bi-partisan, shifting control now and then, nothing will change. No matter who is the governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut