Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 06:07 AM

81 posts, read 57,346 times

Advertisements

According to an article in the Hartford Courant Plainville is top 5 worst in the state. Anyone surprised by this? To put in perspective that means Plainville is worse the New Britain, Bristol, and Manchester!

I will say I’ve lived around Plainville as a kid. The center area is now a drug haven. It’s like zombies walking through the center of town. Then you have the run down hotel (Advance Motel I think) near Sliders which is also prostitution and drug addicts. There’s a a lot of car break-ins and of course people leaning screws in streets to cause flats. Lastly Norton Park is sketchy as well. However no violent crime that I’ve heard about. It’s hard to imagine this little town is that bad compared to others.

Thoughts?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 06:28 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
I'm surprised by it, to be honest. I thought the town had its bad spots, but never saw anything particularly bad about Plainville when compared to many other towns in the state.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:40 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Well, this is coming from the Courant. Take this with a grain of salt.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:33 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
These figures can be misleading, because you have to look at the number of crimes vs the number of residents. Plainville is very small, but if the number of minor nuisance crimes reported is high, it would make it look worse than it is.

The fact is, there's been a lot of spillover of urban poverty into adjacent towns - Hartford into its neighbors, New Britain into its neighbors. But I'd still recommend Plainville over New Britain any day, or any of Hartford's neighbors over Hartford.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:17 PM

27 posts, read 23,064 times
Its absolutely due to demographic changes and the enforcement of the local police. It used to be a blue collar middle class town but has shifted over the last decade. Lots of cuts each year to the school system and increases to the senior center. The police force also lost a wrongful death suit by the victim's family and has responded with stricter enforcement.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:17 PM

37 posts, read 29,584 times
Plainville is not a bad town at all and it's totally ridiculous that it even made the list let alone top 5.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:47 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Is this the same list that has East Windsor in the top ten? If so, I'd like to know just how they got their numbers.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:39 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandMan22 View Post
Its absolutely due to demographic changes and the enforcement of the local police. It used to be a blue collar middle class town but has shifted over the last decade. Lots of cuts each year to the school system and increases to the senior center. The police force also lost a wrongful death suit by the victim's family and has responded with stricter enforcement.
How did the police force respond with “stricter enforcement”?

Old 02-07-2020, 09:03 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rydell View Post
Plainville is not a bad town at all and it's totally ridiculous that it even made the list let alone top 5.
High rate of thefts of items for unexpected towns they have more shopping areas

Real list is

1. Hartford
2. New Haven and Bridgeport tied
3. Waterbury
4. New Britain
5. Meriden
6. New London
7. South Norwalk/Stamford tied
8. Norwich
9. Willimantic
10. Bristol

Ansoina, Derby, Stratford, Hamden, East Hartford, Enfield, Danbury, West Haven, Manchester, Milford, Naugatuck are noticeable but not top 10

Old 02-07-2020, 09:24 AM

81 posts, read 57,346 times
Plainville has a SERIOUS drug issue in the center of town. A Plainville cop said its New Britains and Bristols hub. Meeting place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut