Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 932 times

Advertisements

My son will be starting a job in Essex, CT. We live in southern PA and are not sure where to start searching for an apartment. He wants to keep his commute to 30 minutes. Any suggestions for where to look for an apartment that is reasonably priced for a 22 year old, just starting out on his own?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Middletown. Inexpensive, plenty of rentals, some bars/restaurants for fun. Not far from New Haven for more things to do.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
It kind of depends on the type of area the son wants to live in. Does he prefer somewhere that has activities and other young people or would he prefer a quieter, beachy area near the shore?

Generally I agree with Middletown. There are a lot of apartments there and its downtown has a lot for younger people. Wesleyan University is located in Middletown so there are a number of college students there. It has a number of nice restaurants and bars and has one of the best independent bookstores in the northeast.

I would suggest that he look for an apartment south of downtown to avoid having to travel through the traffic signals on Route 9 in downtown during his commute. At times, particularly over the summer, those signals will cause long backups in traffic. I would not recommend he live in the city's Westfield section which is further from Essex and would require traveling through those signals every day. I would also suggest that he look for an apartment south of Route 66. North of it is the North End which is known to have more problems than other parts of the city. Please note that this area is not unsafe at all, it is just that the likelihood of petty crime there is a bit more than other parts of town.

However, if your son would like to live in a quieter, more beachy area near the shore, he might want to consider Old Saybrook. It is a really cute beach town with a lot of stores, restaurants and things to do. The only thing is that Old Saybrook has a LOT of summer homes so the population swells greatly during the summer months. Some people are turned off by that. Some like it. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 08-09-2019, 10:09 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
welcome to Connecticut to your son. I agree with Middletown, or right next door in Cromwell since many Middletown rentals are right on the border of Cromwell.

Other than that, there might be rentals on the shoreline like East Lyme/Niantic or Waterford. But, being closer to the beach, might be a bit pricier than what you can get in Middletown.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I agree shoreline towns are another option if he can find something affordable. East Lyme, Old Saybrook, Clinton, Westbrook all do the job. It is just an older crowd generally, so if he's looking for more people his age, nightlife, etc. Middletown would be a better option.

Between the shoreline and Middletown is more rural with less rentals. But still possible if he doesn't mind that environment.

There are really no "bad" areas around there.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:22 PM

987 posts, read 600,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
welcome to Connecticut to your son. I agree with Middletown, or right next door in Cromwell since many Middletown rentals are right on the border of Cromwell.

Other than that, there might be rentals on the shoreline like East Lyme/Niantic or Waterford. But, being closer to the beach, might be a bit pricier than what you can get in Middletown.
Cromwell is further north though so he'd have to deal with the traffic delays

Old 08-09-2019, 12:38 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Middletown. Inexpensive, plenty of rentals, some bars/restaurants for fun. Not far from New Haven for more things to do.

If the OP's son is 22 how about New Haven itself?

Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

If the OP's son is 22 how about New Haven itself?
It is over 30 miles from New Haven to Essex. That could be as long as 45 minutes to an hour commute. While not horrible, it is not something I would recommend to anyone. Jay

Old 08-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is over 30 miles from New Haven to Essex. That could be as long as 45 minutes to an hour commute. While not horrible, it is not something I would recommend to anyone. Jay
Agree. Only if the OP's son REALLY wants to live in a vibrant city with things to do, it might be worth the commute for him. Keeping in mind living in the desirable parts of New Haven will be a bit more expensive than Middletown.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:22 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I just looked at a map. I didn't realize that Essex and Middletown were connected by a highway. I thought they would be connected by a main road more like Route 34 or Route 80.

Middletown is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut