Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:34 AM

203 posts, read 237,958 times

Advertisements

Currently located in Milford, but looking to move closer to Wilton.

Best recommendations..top of budget is around $650k

Need good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 08:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
I'd take a look at Wilton itself. If not there's Redding and Southern Ridgefield. All have good schools.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I'd take a look at Wilton itself. If not there's Redding and Southern Ridgefield. All have good schools.
Hows nightlife, train access?

Old 09-27-2019, 09:09 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Cash Buyer? Wilton itself if you are ok with septic, well, and oil heat. That's the trifecta from hell as far as I'm concerned otherwise I'd be tempted to pull the trigger there myself. Schools are great.

Here's one home they can't give away. You are NOT paying full price in this Buyer's Market of all Buyers' Markets.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-53815?view=qv

Old 09-27-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Cash Buyer? Wilton itself if you are ok with septic, well, and oil heat. That's the trifecta from hell as far as I'm concerned otherwise I'd be tempted to pull the trigger there myself. Schools are great.

Here's one home they can't give away. You are NOT paying full price in this Buyer's Market of all Buyers' Markets.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-53815?view=qv
Tell me some horror stories on why I should avoid the trifecta? Never dealth with any of the 3 as i'm from Texas.

Wilton just seems up in the woods.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:40 AM

712 posts, read 542,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChicken View Post
Tell me some horror stories on why I should avoid the trifecta? Never dealth with any of the 3 as i'm from Texas.

I am on trifecta for my house in the woods for years. I love the quiet and private life. I take it as vacation house every day after work in my house.

The only "horror" is your bank account if you are not handyman type. I am not, and we have to call services for repairs, service etc. I also do not trust the well water for drinking usage, so we have bottled water delivery to our house monthly.

CT is not remote state and help/service are just within call range. I live in New Haven county and not familiar with fairfield county situation. But Fairfield county should be more densely populated and should be less issue for that than NH.

One annoying factor on trifecta: power outage because of trees in the woods. We used to own a generator and it was cheap portable and but heavy one, lots of hassle, we sold it. Nowadays it appears that utility company has cut down trees along the road and we are confident that if there is any, it would be just one day or two power outage per year. Our plan is to live in hotel one day or two for this power outage without generator. Checkout Wilton power outage history and think about this issue before buying a house in the woods.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:

Sure, a friend in Brookfield kids were playing in the yard one day near the playsite. They noticed the grass was wet and a little muddy, it hadn't rained in a week. Dad went out to investigate, noticed a smell and knew right way what the deal was. When septics fail, its $20,000 to replace. Either way, the thought of onsite waste storage just bothers me. YMMV.
I just prefer "automation' in a home. Water, waste, and natural gas for heating go in and out, no storage.

South Wilton is centrally located and minutes from wonderful shopping and independently owned dining found in several different town centers of Westport, Norwalk, New Canaan and Darien. The Sono train station is just down the highway connector. You have easy access to the Merritt Parkway and I95.

If you need to train it to Manhattan for work everday, its probably as far out into CT as I would go and that might even be pushing the envelope.

You may want to look at some Westport homes as well but they'll need cosmetics under 7. Darien and New Canaan too.
Norwalk would be ideal but the schools "no es bueno". Stamford even worse. Fairfield way too far from work.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:48 AM

Doesn't some kind of insurance cover that kind of problem?

Do some towns in the woods have direct connections to sewage, water and gas?

Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 AM

712 posts, read 542,956 times
Quote:

One is inspections before the closing of a house. This is quite important to identify issues if any.

After that, septic or wells, oil heating system all should be on regular maintanence repair schedule. This is not too different from car maintenance such as oil change.

Towns in CT usually only do sewage to the center area or more urban area of towns. Most towns in CT have
some woods area that do not have connection to sewage, nor water, nor gas. This is quite common in CT. Electricity, TV cables are commonly connected though. School bus pick up/drop off for kids are same for woods or not in woods in the same town.

Honest speaking, the difference is really the cost or "money" in woods verses not. Also the power outage that needs to be considered. Woods houses are great life style, not that bad if one is familiar with. Most woods area are just 10 minutes drive away from more urban area for New Haven county, probably true for Fairfield county too.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:41 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:

No, insurance does not cover a septic system failure. The key is maintenance. You must regularly have the tank pumped to remove solids and prevent them from passing into and clogging the leaching field. If you buy a home on septic, have it inspected and request to see maintenance records.

In order to have all three utilities, you really need to have density. It is expensive to run pipes so in areas with larger lots it does not make sense financially to provide them. I do know some areas of Greenfield Hill have water and gas but not sewers. I think there may be others towns that have the same but I am not certain which. The best I can say is some real estate sites allow you to select features you want and utilities is one of them. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut