Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 12:07 PM

215 posts, read 148,415 times

Advertisements

Great news for CT!

"The telecommunications industry lost and consumers won in a Connecticut Superior Court decision that gives cities and towns the right to use existing utility infrastructure within their borders to create municipal networks that deliver cheap, fast internet service to homes and business."

-https://www.courant.com/news/connect...v3y-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 11:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
The article closes with:
Quote:
A Frontier spokesman said the original decision by utility regulators was "the correct one based on state and federal law, as well as the principles of fair competition."

“We are reviewing the decision and next steps,” the spokesman added.

My money is on an appeal all the way to the state Supreme Court. Muni internet puts the telco and cable operators out of business.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM

205 posts, read 162,656 times
Whatever happened to opening the market for competition for cable providers? Right now, your only cable options are still either the cable service provider that has always serviced the area, or Frontier, unless you go satellite or streaming (still no cross-pollination of Comcast in Cox areas, or vice versa). As far as internet service, the only viable options are cable or Frontier, so you're really limited.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:28 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
Whatever happened to opening the market for competition for cable providers? Right now, your only cable options are still either the cable service provider that has always serviced the area, or Frontier, unless you go satellite or streaming (still no cross-pollination of Comcast in Cox areas, or vice versa). As far as internet service, the only viable options are cable or Frontier, so you're really limited.
It comes down to whether or not cable companies want to pay to build the infrastructure and if the investment will be profitable for them. Most aren't going to do so as soon, many of us might be able to get broadband internet/video speeds via wireless connections. AT&T is developing a system of antennas called AirGig that runs signal between poles and then shoots it a receiver in your house.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:43 PM

6,923 posts, read 3,754,471 times
I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll be the first one returning the modem to the Optimum Store and walking out with an extended middle finger.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,864 times
Why wait for that. I have my own modem, router, etc. I only pay them for the mbps. No rental fees and a more secure connection with insanely better range and reliability.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
AT&T is developing a system of antennas called AirGig that runs signal between poles and then shoots it a receiver in your house.

AT&T isn't developing anything. There are a few chip vendors and a half-dozen Asian companies using those chips to build product using high frequency 5G wireless technology. AT&T just writes a spec with a list of requirements and does QA on the implementations. I worked for quite a few of those Asian companies. They do the DirectTV boxes, cable modems, cable set-top boxes, fiber ONTs, and DSL modems. All the broadband providers are working on wireless for the last 100 meter solutions since it's so much cheaper than the truck roll to drag coax or fiber to the house. The same list of a half-dozen approved vendors they use for everything else are competing to sell the wireless solution. A few of them have US names but they're just stamping their brand on Asian product. Most of the chip development is done here but nobody tries to do CPE in the US these days since the margins are so low.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:23 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
I stand corrected - AT&T is developing a service....

Old 11-27-2019, 12:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,148,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Why wait for that. I have my own modem, router, etc. I only pay them for the mbps. No rental fees and a more secure connection with insanely better range and reliability.
yes, for Internet buying your own modem is the way to go.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:38 AM

6,923 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
yes, for Internet buying your own modem is the way to go.
At this point most folks have their own modems and routers.
You still need to pay a provider monthly, no?
Optimimum online around here is $80/month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut