Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 01:41 PM

13 posts, read 7,104 times

Advertisements

I live in California and I'm looking to relocate to CT later this year. I'm particularly interested in coastal towns preferably Madison but would entertain nearby cities such as Guilford, Clinton, Branford, etc. From my research, all those places gave great schools. I visited CT some time back and just loved the landscape, nature, and beauty of it. I have 3 kids less than 10 years so I'm looking for a place with at least an acre, 2500 sq ft, and no more than $450K. I'd prefer a turn key but willing to settle for a fixer upper if reno budget wouldn't bring total cost beyond my budget - definitely don't want anything outdated. I'll work from home so commute factor is non-existence. In fact, I'm choosing SE CT because its more affordable and don't need to be in higher priced areas closer to NY since I'll be working from home. So if there are any tips or someone with knowledge of the area, I would appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 02:05 PM

6,914 posts, read 3,750,537 times
All the Best

Old 02-04-2020, 02:31 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Besides visiting each of the towns to get the vibe of each that matches to your liking best you could easily put each of the names of the towns you have listed, put those cards on the wall, and throw a dart and you'd pick a great town. Seriously not a bad choice there, just comes down to hair line differences that might tip the balance for you.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:55 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemJem View Post
I live in California and I'm looking to relocate to CT later this year. I'm particularly interested in coastal towns preferably Madison but would entertain nearby cities such as Guilford, Clinton, Branford, etc. From my research, all those places gave great schools. I visited CT some time back and just loved the landscape, nature, and beauty of it. I have 3 kids less than 10 years so I'm looking for a place with at least an acre, 2500 sq ft, and no more than $450K. I'd prefer a turn key but willing to settle for a fixer upper if reno budget wouldn't bring total cost beyond my budget - definitely don't want anything outdated. I'll work from home so commute factor is non-existence. In fact, I'm choosing SE CT because its more affordable and don't need to be in higher priced areas closer to NY since I'll be working from home. So if there are any tips or someone with knowledge of the area, I would appreciate any feedback.

I live in Trumbull (Fairfield County) which is the more southwestern area of CT closer to NYC. I won't be really able to afford this area in my retirement so my husband and I want to move into the area you are interested in. We won't need the schools so most likely we will end up in Branford. They are all nice towns and they kind of all run into one another.

For your budget you can find what you are looking for in a house/land in both Branford and Clinton. You could probably find what you are looking for in Guilford and Madison but more inland away from the coastline.

Here are the schools from best to good.

Madison (is a top tier school system in CT)
Guilford (is a top tier school system in CT)
Branford (is a good solid school system in CT)
Clinton (is a good solid school system in CT)

Madison and Guilford are among the best school systems in CT. While Branford and Clinton have good schools they are just not in the same league as Madison and Guilford.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:43 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
Those are good choices.

There are definitely a lot of what you might consider "outdated" houses on the market (many 1950-onward), as well as many new/er. I think you would be happiest if you understand "how old is old" for you. Prices decrease and lot sizes increase as you go farther north of Route 1 towards Route 80.

Guilford and Madison continue much further north to Durham. Once you get north of Route 80, you can be a 15+ minute drive to the downtown area of the town, or to Interstate-95, the main artery for shoreline through-traffic.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:44 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
You can’t go wrong with any of these towns though I don’t equate Clinton quite the same as the ipothers. I would suggest visiting each town to see which suits you best. Or you can look in all of them and see which has the house that suits you best. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-04-2020, 09:06 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You can’t go wrong with any of these towns though I don’t equate Clinton quite the same as the ipothers. I would suggest visiting each town to see which suits you best. Or you can look in all of them and see which has the house that suits you best. Good luck, Jay
Clinton is too far out for me so I am not really focusing on that town.

I am just curious. Why don't you equate Clinton with the others. It it because it is a little further away from New Haven and is in Middlesex County and not in New Haven county like Branford, Guilford and Madison is?

Old 02-04-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Based off your feedback, I'll add less weight to Branford. I don't mind being more inland if that is what gives me more land. As long as I don't have to drive too far for frequent amenities like grocery stores, gas stations, etc, I wouldn't mind. By any chance does anybody know if other neighboring towns like Killingworth, Westbrook, Old Lyme are drastically different in terms of what they offer in quality of education and real estate market?

Old 02-04-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Those are good choices.

There are definitely a lot of what you might consider "outdated" houses on the market (many 1950-onward), as well as many new/er. I think you would be happiest if you understand "how old is old" for you. Prices decrease and lot sizes increase as you go farther north of Route 1 towards Route 80.

Guilford and Madison continue much further north to Durham. Once you get north of Route 80, you can be a 15+ minute drive to the downtown area of the town, or to Interstate-95, the main artery for shoreline through-traffic.
Good thing is I'm not picky on house style though one style I want to keep away from are mainly ranches due to the short 7 or 8 ft ceilings. I believe I can work with anything else. As far as the age, I concur I'm also fine with 1950 builds onward. I have seen some homes on the market from 1800s and know they are popular in new england in general but I'm hesitate to be that ambitious to take them on as I'd imagine the cost of bringing them up to a modern feel would be high.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:48 AM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Can’t go wrong with any towns in that area. Guilford is probably my favorite. Maximum New England charm.

Going by test scores alone, Guilford/Madison are top, Branford middle, Clinton lowest. But Clinton schools are still fine, about average for CT, and it’s a good value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut