Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 08:03 PM

9 posts, read 15,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If public schools are not a concern I agree with considering north Stamford. About the same cost as Wilton but a better commute.

From Wilton, South Norwalk is generally the commute of choice.

New Canaan - not as frequent direct trains, especially if off peak. Train permits are only available to residents.
Darien - would need to deal with some traffic getting there. Possibly. If in far southwest Wilton, could be OK. Wait list is long so get on it soon, and SoNo too, if you’re serious.
One cannot use the New Canaan station if they aren't a resident? That sounds absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 08:05 PM

417 posts, read 600,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpnyc View Post
One cannot use the New Canaan station if they aren't a resident? That sounds absurd.
I think he meant a permit for parking at the station. Designated parking is limited in most FFC towns and you can expect a long waitlist (months long into years) for parking permits.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskReturn View Post
I think he meant a permit for parking at the station. Designated parking is limited in most FFC towns and you can expect a long waitlist (months long into years) for parking permits.
That's what I had figured. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:17 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskReturn View Post
Pretty sure there are no daily passes at New Canaan.

Permits are limited to residents. They are the only town I know of in CT that limits to their residents.

https://www.newcanaan.info/departmen...ng_permits.php

I had a coworker who lived in NY state a few miles away and literally parked illegally in a nearby parking lot for years because of this. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Permits are limited to residents. They are the only town I know of in CT that limits to their residents.

https://www.newcanaan.info/departmen...ng_permits.php

I had a coworker who lived in NY state a few miles away and literally parked illegally in a nearby parking lot for years because of this. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that.
Would you be able to park a few blocks away from the station?

Old 05-31-2020, 11:15 PM

Sorry, but I've got a few more questions for those who are willing to answer:

1. For my eldest son, who attends school in Teaneck, NJ, would a commute from Wilton be absolutely unmanageable? I would consider renting an apartment in the city in the interim (he only has a year left) to keep him going to school while my younger son and wife remain in the city. Of course, this would not be preferable, though.

2. Would Wilton be a good social environment for my kids, who won't be attending the schools? Both are very amiable but I am concerned about this.

3. I don't want to be very presumptive here, but I've read that Wilton is very affluent and that those who live there are often pompous. Again, I don't hold this to be true, however I have heard this. Is there any truth to this? I am only concerned as I would like to make a few friends in the area.

4. Where do you put Wilton in terms of wealth, not only in its people but as a home market, both now and in the future? (Asked for potential future investments).

Old 05-31-2020, 11:18 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Would you be able to park a few blocks away from the station?
Not legally I don’t think. Downtown meters are not for full days. Maybe a NC resident can answer.

Wilton to Teaneck would be terrible. North Stamford would still be long, but a lot better. I wouldn’t write off north Stamford. That area feels plenty quiet and wooded.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:51 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
A 90 minute commute from Wilton is very optimistic. The commute from SoNo to Grand Central Terminal is about 60 minutes. That leaves 30 minutes for the trip to SoNo from Wilton and to your destination from GCT. That is very aggressive timing, 15 minutes on each side, especially if you are trying to get to a Broadway show or Lincoln Center.

Just a word about parking at the SoNo train station. Although it is quite large, unless you travel during rush hour, getting a parking spot is problematic, especially on Wednesdays (matinee day). I have found that there are few if any parking spots available after 10:30 AM at the main parking garage. You have to park several blocks away. That is true even if you have a monthly permit. All spots are first come first served. This adds time to your "90 minute" commute if you must plan for a 15 minute walk from the remote parking lot.

SoNo is best for regular daily commuters. There is always parking for the rush hour trains and many trains start at SoNo during rush hours so you always get a good seat.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I've got a few more questions for those who are willing to answer:

1. For my eldest son, who attends school in Teaneck, NJ, would a commute from Wilton be absolutely unmanageable? I would consider renting an apartment in the city in the interim (he only has a year left) to keep him going to school while my younger son and wife remain in the city. Of course, this would not be preferable, though.

2. Would Wilton be a good social environment for my kids, who won't be attending the schools? Both are very amiable but I am concerned about this.

3. I don't want to be very presumptive here, but I've read that Wilton is very affluent and that those who live there are often pompous. Again, I don't hold this to be true, however I have heard this. Is there any truth to this? I am only concerned as I would like to make a few friends in the area.

4. Where do you put Wilton in terms of wealth, not only in its people but as a home market, both now and in the future? (Asked for potential future investments).
Most people move to Wilton for the schools and as a result there are few kids who attend private schools, and those who do tend to do so in high school. My kids are in the public schools so I'm not really sure how parents with children in private schools feel about the opportunities for their kids, but there are plenty of town sports teams, theater groups, dance studios, scout troops and the like in town that are open to everyone. There is also a teen center which is open to middle school aged kids and up.

Wilton is affluent, but less so than Westport, Darien and New Canaan. There are pompous a-holes here just like anywhere, but I don't think we have a surplus of them. It is a fairly civic minded town, and residents take pride in that.

In terms of real estate, who knows? I bought my house over 10 years ago and its worth less now than what I paid for it. The people I bought it from bought in the late 90's and doubled their money. That said, IMO the housing market here is undervalued and the exodus from NYC will create an upswing in the market, and it may be happening already.

I would not want to do a daily commute to Teaneck, but if you do, take the Sawmill to the Tappan Zee to get over the river. Much better than the GWB.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:03 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:

This is correct, or else you'd have every Wilton commuter applying for passes and taking spots from residents. Not exactly the biggest lot in the world.
Same for Darien. Darien dailys though are available to non-residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut