Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 05:30 AM

9 posts, read 6,311 times

Advertisements

Mostly, I just want to know if I should stay far, far away from any of these complexes (and why), but I'll take any information. I plan on actually going to see them (or virtual tours), but trying to narrow down the list and I'm aware there's different neighborhoods here.

Capital Lofts (390 Capital Ave)
360 Main Street Associates
Park Place Towers (24 Park Place)
Element 250 (250 Main Street)
The Concord (98 Garden St)
Union Place Apartments (64-82 Union Pl)
Studios @270 (270 Laurel St)

Teacher's Village (370 Asylum St)
Whitney Manor Apartments (990 Capitol Ave)
873 West Boulevard

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 06:09 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozysassmouth View Post
Mostly, I just want to know if I should stay far, far away from any of these complexes (and why), but I'll take any information. I plan on actually going to see them (or virtual tours), but trying to narrow down the list and I'm aware there's different neighborhoods here.

Capital Lofts (390 Capital Ave)
360 Main Street Associates
Park Place Towers (24 Park Place)
Element 250 (250 Main Street)
The Concord (98 Garden St)
Union Place Apartments (64-82 Union Pl)
Studios @270 (270 Laurel St)

Teacher's Village (370 Asylum St)
Whitney Manor Apartments (990 Capitol Ave)
873 West Boulevard

Thanks everyone!

Unless you need to be in Hartford I would skip all of these complexes because they are in bad neighborhoods or on the edge of a bad neighborhood.

West Blvd may be the exception.
Union Place would be very convenient for public transportation since the train and bus station are across the street. However, this area is shady at night.

If you need cheap rent I would look in New Britain which is about 10 miles southeast of Hartford. While New Britain has bad neighborhoods too, it would be easier to find a good apt there in a good area.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:47 AM

506 posts, read 478,205 times
I can't speak to the quality of the actual facilities themselves, but I can put them in order of what locations I like the best:

1) Union Place Apartments (64-82 Union Pl): as the name suggests, this is right next to Union Station for Amtrak/Hartford Line/buses/CTFastTrack. If you want to live car free, this is probably the best place to do it. It's walking distance to downtown sites. I wouldn't consider it a dangerous area. It stays pretty busy.

2) Teacher's Village (370 Asylum St): this is pretty much right next to Union Place. I like Union Place better because it is a historic building

3) 360 Main Street Associates: this is very close to downtown restaurants, attractions, and jobs. It's easily walkable to anywhere downtown. I wouldn't feel unsafe living here, but I would't venture too far south at night.

4) Element 250 (250 Main Street): this is just a tad further south than 360. Pretty much the same area

5) Capital Lofts (390 Capital Ave): this isn't in a particularly bad nor particularly good neighborhood, but it's still pretty close to both. It's an easy walk to the Capitol. I wouldn't be comfortable walking around at night as there are regular incidents, but it is fine during the day.

6) The Concord (98 Garden St): this is the best location if you're working at Aetna or The Hartford. Downtown is a fairly quick walk under the highway but it's not the safest as the road is very wide and busy. It's not a bad spot if you have a car. It's closer to some less than desirable locations. It feels more isolated from the city because of so many large roads, highways, and parking lots around. I'd be cautious walking to the north at night, but my main fear here would be getting hit by a car.

7) Studios @270 (270 Laurel St): this is walking distance to the Aetna/The Hartford and the restaurants of the West End. It's an easy bus ride downtown. If you aren't used to city life this neighborhood might be a little jarring, but it isn't too bad. It looks worse than it is. I probably wouldn't walk around at night though.

8) Park Place Towers (24 Park Place): I'm not a fan of this area. It's walkable to some stores and to the Parkville neighborhood, which is growing into something cool, but it still feels removed from the city. Maybe you'll find that appealing, but it's mostly surrounded by highways and parks. These are Hartford's twin towers and are a well known landmark. On the other side of the park there are some rough areas.

9) Whitney Manor Apartments (990 Capitol Ave): this is right in between Parkville and the West End. It's near Real Art Ways. It's not the best nor the worst neighborhood, but I'd be careful walking around at night. If you want car free, this isn't a bad place for fun sites and restaurants, but it isn't walkable to downtown or Asylum Hill. Capital Ave doesn't have as many bus options so you'll probably have to walk to Park or Farmington Ave

10) 873 West Boulevard: this one is very close to 990 Capitol Ave, so the same notes apply. It has easy access to the highway, which could be a good or bad thing (busier)

Old 07-07-2020, 10:10 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Unless you need to be in Hartford I would skip all of these complexes because they are in bad neighborhoods or on the edge of a bad neighborhood.

Union Place would be very convenient for public transportation since the train and bus station are across the street. However, this area is shady at night.

If you need cheap rent I would look in New Britain which is about 10 miles southeast of Hartford. While New Britain has bad neighborhoods too, it would be easier to find a good apt there in a good area.
You are spreading misinformation about Hartford and its neighborhoods. Teachers Village is literally downtown, across the street from Bushnell Park. It is definitely a safe neighborhood. 360 Main Street is downtown adjacent...a safe area but as mentioned above, I wouldn't venture too many blocks south/southeast.

To the original poster: The_Quiet_One had an accurate assessment of all of the locations. I also don't know personally about each building but agree with The_Quiet_One's neighborhood assessments.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:24 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

I have to disagree with you on your reasoning here. Teachers Village and Union Place are Downtown which is very safe. 250 Main Street and 360 Main Street are in an area some call SoDo just south of the core of Downtown. It’s also very safe.

Park Place Towers is kind of isolated, sort of an island surrounded by Pope Park A lot of medical staff from Hartford and St. Francis Hospitals live there so it can’t be that bad. It is also walking distance to Parkville which has a lot of great restaurants now includin* the newly opened Parkville Market Food Hall. It has promise to be the most interesting place to eat in the city. Capitol Lofts isn’t bad either. It’s near the Capitol and the Bushnell. None of the rest of them are in bad areas, certainly nothing worse than what they’d find in New Britain.

One thing also the OP should note is that I believe Teacher’s Village is only for teachers. The OP should confirm that. Jay

Old 07-07-2020, 10:26 AM

512 posts, read 352,613 times
I agree with both The Quiet One and mels. For the price range I am assuming you are targeting, I would also look into The Lofts at Main and Temple. It is downtown (across from City Steam) and run efficiently by the property management company. They have staff onsite daily, a dedicated maintenance crew, etc. I lived there for a while and I really liked the location and the building.

Edited to add: I agree with Jay too. He snuck his comment in as I was posting lol

Old 07-07-2020, 11:08 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
I agree with both The Quiet One and mels. For the price range I am assuming you are targeting, I would also look into The Lofts at Main and Temple. It is downtown (across from City Steam) and run efficiently by the property management company. They have staff onsite daily, a dedicated maintenance crew, etc. I lived there for a while and I really liked the location and the building.

Edited to add: I agree with Jay too. He snuck his comment in as I was posting lol
LOL That happens.

You bring up a good point. There are other affordable apartments in and around downtown. If the OP does not need a lot of space, the modest size but very nice Spectra apartments might work. There are three different buildings: Spectra Plaza on Constitution Plaza; Spectra Park on Trumbull Street; and Spectra Pearl on Pearl Street. The locations, finishes and amenities are great but the apartments are small. I’d encourage the OP check them out along with The Lofts on Temple and Main. Jay

Old 07-07-2020, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 6,311 times
Thanks all for the comments. I'm more interested in info about the complexes, if anybody has ever lived there/knows someone who lived there. I do very much appreciate all the comments though, the information about the neighborhoods is very useful. At this point, I think I'm leaning toward the West Boulevard/Parkville area or Asylum Hill.

As for Teacher's, yes it was originally built for teachers, but they might be accepting others now. I planned to ask them about it, if I decided to call them for a tour.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:10 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
Do go tour them all. In fact, go walk around near each of these complexes on a warm, non-rainy, summer's Saturday night. If it looks okay to you on a dry summer Saturday night, then you'd be comfortable with that area.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:45 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,150,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to disagree with you on your reasoning here. Teachers Village and Union Place are Downtown which is very safe. 250 Main Street and 360 Main Street are in an area some call SoDo just south of the core of Downtown. It’s also very safe.

Park Place Towers is kind of isolated, sort of an island surrounded by Pope Park A lot of medical staff from Hartford and St. Francis Hospitals live there so it can’t be that bad. It is also walking distance to Parkville which has a lot of great restaurants now includin* the newly opened Parkville Market Food Hall. It has promise to be the most interesting place to eat in the city. Capitol Lofts isn’t bad either. It’s near the Capitol and the Bushnell. None of the rest of them are in bad areas, certainly nothing worse than what they’d find in New Britain.

One thing also the OP should note is that I believe Teacher’s Village is only for teachers. The OP should confirm that. Jay
No I don't think it's just for teachers. They have discounted rent for teachers and not for everyone else. Unless they qualify for affordable housing). The problem is if you're not in either category, it's a bit pricy as I recall. But it's in a great spot and they do look really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut