Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,494 times

Advertisements

Hello, I’m sure this has been discussed in various posts, but hoping to have it in this thread. We’re curious to get honest opinions about neighborhoods in Fairfield. Most specifically for us Stratfield, North Stratfield area? But also curious about the other areas as well.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 08:14 AM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewg22 View Post
Hello, I’m sure this has been discussed in various posts, but hoping to have it in this thread. We’re curious to get honest opinions about neighborhoods in Fairfield. Most specifically for us Stratfield, North Stratfield area? But also curious about the other areas as well.

Thanks so much!
Of course you know that area borders Bridgeport. My mother in-law lived in the Stratfield and my sister-in-law and family still do. They really like living in Stratfield and I think it is a nice area too. I am not sure what separates Stratfield from North Stratfield but I guess you mean closer to the parkway. My sister-in-law lives north of Fairfield Woods Road so maybe that road is the divider. My mother-in-law lived a little below Fairfield Woods Road and it was still a nice area.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,494 times
Thank you for your reply. I am aware that it borders Bridgeport. Is this concerning? Is there issues in the neighborhood because of its proximity? I’m not sure what north or not is I’ve just heard it referred to in these ways. The neighborhood seemed really nice and family friendly. Currently looking at moving to the area and it keeps popping up on our lists. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:13 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
It’s a nice area. Affordable by Fairfield standards. I wouldn’t hesitate.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:31 AM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I am aware that it borders Bridgeport. Is this concerning? Is there issues in the neighborhood because of its proximity? I’m not sure what north or not is I’ve just heard it referred to in these ways. The neighborhood seemed really nice and family friendly. Currently looking at moving to the area and it keeps popping up on our lists. Thanks for the info.
I live in Trumbull which is north of Bridgeport. The northern part of Bridgeport is the safest part of the city. I am pretty sure that the northwestern part of Bridgeport that borders Stratfield is the safest part of north end.

My sister-in-law bought her Stratfield house in the 1990's and my mother-in-law moved there a few years later. I don't ever remember in all of these years of them talking about any crime in Stratfield. I bought my Trumbull house in the 1990's too and in all that time I don't remember reading about any significant crime in northwestern Bridgeport or the Stratfield section of Fairfield. Before my brother got married he lived in a townhouse right on Park Avenue just south of Scared Heart University and he said the area was good too.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:25 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Stratfield and North Stratfield border Bridgeport but it one of the nicest and safest parts of the city, the North End. I would not hesitate to live there. In fact I’d rather live there than some other parts of town. A lot of people turn up their noses at them because they border Bridgeport but that just shows that they are ignorant they are about th3 area and Bridgeport. THey judge the city based on a few bad neighborhoods there which are no where near this.

North Main Street in Bridgeport is a great little shopping area. There are many great stores and restaurants there, plus you aren’t far from the Trumbull mall which is just over the town line. It’s a great place to shop and eat.

There are a couple other neighborhoods in Fairfield you might want to consider. They include Fairfield Woods and Lake Hills. Fairfield Woods is generally the area east of Black Rock Turnpike, West of Melville Avenue, north of Burroughs Road and south of the ridge line north of Fairfield Woods Road. It includes streets off of Burroughs Road and Fairfield Woods Road and extends up and includes streets off Morehouse Highway. This area is convenient to great shopping and dining on Black Rock Turnpike and has its own library, middle school and elementary school (Jennings).

Lake Hills is just north of Fairfield Woods and extends up to the Merritt Parkway. Much of Lake Hills is centered on a private lake, Samp Mortar Reservoir. It is a privately owned lake that you pay membership dues to belong to. It has a couple private beaches on the lake and some family activities during the year. The town owned Lake Mohegan is there as well as a large open space area adjacent to it. It too is convenient to Black Rock Turnpike. I really think it is a great area Jay

Old 09-07-2020, 06:23 AM

6,885 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:
You got the Holy Grail of responders here. Three City Data icons all in the same thread. It doesn't get any better. I wouldn't hesitate to heed their advice and gather insights. Pick their brains. I tell folks looking all the time, Get on this forum ASAP.

I wouldn't be concerned with the border. It's a wonderful middle class family oriented area sans the hoighty-toighty vibe of its brethren on the west side of town. I wasn't, but my family was over at Lake Mohegan there this summer with friends. It was terrific.

Best of luck.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:38 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Fairfield really doesn't have any bad areas. They are all great, but I would say that it is more a matter of ritzy vs middle class. As a general rule, the western part of Fairfield is a lot more ritzy for the upper class, and the eastern part is more affordable where many middle class workers live. Stratfield is in the Eastern part and for Fairfield standards, I would say it is affordable. For other affordable areas, you could also look at: Fairfield Woods and Tunix Hills.

What is your budget by the way?

Old 09-07-2020, 02:26 PM

980 posts, read 598,567 times
First let me say that Stratfield is a beautiful part of the town! You are right that it's on the border with Bridgeport but instead of that being a bad thing (which many may think due to crime worries, which are luckily just worries) it means that the area has many older and more interesting homes along with a more established local character. A fantastic example of this is Brooklawn Parkway which is one of my favorite streets in the whole town. Here's the google street view link for it:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1959...7i16384!8i8192

Some other fantastic neighborhoods are the Inwood/Eastwood area and the Algonquin Road areas. Despite being a few hundred feet from BPT some of these homes easily rival those in Southport.

There's a distinction between Stratfield and North Stratfield because they're the name of two elementary Schools (on Melville Ave and Harvester Road respectively). Despite being neighboring schools they go to different Middle schools (Tomlinson and Woods, again respectively) but they both go to Fairfield Warde high school (which serves the whole northeastern part of town. The other suggestions of Lake Hills/ The Lakes Region (which feeds to Jennings and then Woods) and Tunxis Hill (which feeds to McKinley and then Tomlinson) both also go to Warde).

The roads north of Sherley Pl go to North Stratfield whereas Sherley Pl and south go to Stratfield. I've attached the district map for reference.

https://archive.fairfieldschools.org..._8-16-2011.pdf

Hope this helps!

Old 09-07-2020, 06:55 PM

281 posts, read 345,121 times
We've been in the Stratfield area for 2.5 years now. It's been very nice. Our main concern was the proximity to Sacred Heart university and the possibility of rowdy college students as neighbors, but none of that so far. It's remarkably quiet at times, which is a good thing.

Brooklawn Parkway is pretty cool. It leads up to the small bridge on Valley Rd. which was rebuilt less than a year ago. I do get a sense of being back in the 70s or 80s, walking around some of the neighborhoods. Which again, I think is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut