Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 01:55 PM

6,914 posts, read 3,750,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Uh... just because a building isn’t shiny new does not mean it’s rundown or the area is bad. As Stylo said, no part of Wooster Square is bad. There is a ton of new apartments being built, planned or under construction there. In a couple years whatever buildings you think are rundown will likely be redone or overshadowed by all the great new construction there. Jay
You don't become a City Data icon like Danny K overnight. You have to know what your talking about and he does. He's put in the work. He's paid his dues. He may not of meant bad in crime but Wooster can appear a little unkept and rundown. Litter, cracked sidewalks, disrepairs, overgrown weeds. Its showing it's age.

Yeah, overall NH is a great city for males, females, singles, college folks from all walks of life. The city seems to be bristling with activity 24/7. I know some really longtime friends who work downtown. They love their lunctime walks, happy hours, dinners. It's really wonderful. I think the OP will love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 02:09 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I would never hesitate to recommend the areas of New Haven that others have: East Rock, Wooster Square, downtown. These numbers paint a much grimmer picture of New Haven than 99% of people will ever experience. I worked in the city and never once felt unsafe. I know from talking to female colleagues and female students that the same held true for them. Stay out of the known high crime areas and New Haven is an amazing and safe city.
Agreed. The city is also a far cry from what it used to be before it gentrified.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:23 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,645,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I think you might be referring to city point which is beside long worth and the houses are very nice but soon as you cross the bridge you are in the hill which is a bad area for a single female
True! I kind of view City Point and Long Wharf as one area, because City Point is pretty small. But yeah the Hill definitely has a fair amount of issues. Might be a little walk from the train station though and not sure if the OP has a car or not.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:26 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,645,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I did point out that I thought the East Rock area (where my cousin lived) was IMO a safe area. I will never apologize for making another woman who asks for safety aware of the crime stats. I have stated that many times on here. IMO most cities in CT do have grim crime statistics and I won't back off or apologize for that statement either.

Here is another way of looking at this. New Haven has high crime and it is not in just one area of the city....it is diffused all over the city.

Look at this crime map from "Neighborhood Scout"*. Throughout the years it's always the same in New Haven. The crime is always all over the city.....not just in one area and that is a shame. Also there is an awful lot of dark blue on that pic attached.
Attachment 223240

Now that OP knows all the stats and many different opinions from both male and female she can decide for herself.

*I am pretty sure posters are not allowed to put another info websites link up.
I honestly would say that East Rock is probably the safest and most upscale area of New Haven as a whole. Not ritzy in any way, but the buildings are really nice with great neighborhoods, plus you got a few small restaurants and cafes as well as East Rock Park. It really is a great area with great convenience to Downtown!

Old 08-30-2020, 01:57 PM

116 posts, read 219,118 times
Look at the Liberty Building, 152,Temple Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut