Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 06:27 AM

513 posts, read 360,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
There's plenty of petty crime in the West End. Car break ins and home break ins and the like. Also the occasional mugging/assault. Certainly not as dangerous as the North End, but definitely not as safe as West Hartford.
You are comparing crime in an urban city with crime in a suburb, not exactly a fair comparison. Shockingly, crime is also higher in Bridgeport than it is in Fairfield.

If anyone here truly thinks UCONN School of Law is in an unsafe area then you must really keep yourself protected in your little suburban bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 07:32 AM

35,306 posts, read 57,525,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
You are comparing crime in an urban city with crime in a suburb, not exactly a fair comparison. Shockingly, crime is also higher in Bridgeport than it is in Fairfield.

If anyone here truly thinks UCONN School of Law is in an unsafe area then you must really keep yourself protected in your little suburban bubble.
I agree. Heck, as the on going thread we have here shows there’s been a significant increase in petty crime in the suburbs. I’m not sure that’s happening in the West End. Still that does not make an area unsafe. If it did half of Glastonbury would be classified as unsafe and we know that’s not true. Jay

Old 04-13-2021, 01:01 PM

21,786 posts, read 31,494,768 times
Looks like there’s quite the shooting scene going on in downtown Branford right now. Lots of shooting being reported near the Richlin hardware store on Main St. - hoping for everyone’s safety.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:44 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,984,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post

Actually I'm comparing crime in the nicest part of the city to the town to which it abuts. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two when you cross Prospect St.

I've lived in the West End and the Elmwood section of WH, which is certainly not the nicest part of the town. I felt pretty safe walking around both places, but you had to be a little more cautious at night in the West End. But the petty crime was much more common in the West End than in Elmwood.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:53 PM

7,326 posts, read 4,003,212 times
Quote:
Actually I'm comparing crime in the nicest part of the city to the town to which it abuts. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two when you cross Prospect St.

I've lived in the West End and the Elmwood section of WH, which is certainly not the nicest part of the town. I felt pretty safe walking around both places, but you had to be a little more cautious at night in the West End. But the petty crime was much more common in the West End than in Elmwood.
All bets are off, petty crime travels now. It goes where the money is, and that's suburbia forestry.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:01 PM

332 posts, read 221,620 times
Ahh... the yearly urban tradition of gunfire to ring in the summer solstice. It's how I know when to plant my tomato plants. I'll be canning some homemade tomato sauce for the fall.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:49 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,984,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
All bets are off, petty crime travels now. It goes where the money is, and that's suburbia forestry.
Good point. Teens can steal and rob knowing they will get at worst a slap on the wrist. Might as well go where the money is.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:00 PM

7,326 posts, read 4,003,212 times
Quote:
Good point. Teens can steal and rob knowing they will get at worst a slap on the wrist. Might as well go where the money is.
Tough on crime, soft on crime, doesn't matter, they don't care anymore. Dad was out the back door faster than he came in it.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:00 PM

773 posts, read 798,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
So tougher policing would prevent it? Not a chance. Pure speculation, but they are probably casualties of the war on drugs.
Agree, tougher or more policing won't stop this.
There is no way to tell if more shootings will happen just because of this.
You could have 10 homicides in 3 months, and then 1 in the next 3.
Most of these shootings are targeted / retaliation / payback. Basically, criminal's street justice behavior.

I guarantee you the man that's was targeted where the 3 year old was shot has a lengthy record.
He did something on the streets and got him targeted for payback.

The only way to stop these shooting, remove all these criminals from hartford, that ain't happening.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:25 PM

21,786 posts, read 31,494,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
Agree, tougher or more policing won't stop this.
There is no way to tell if more shootings will happen just because of this.
You could have 10 homicides in 3 months, and then 1 in the next 3.
Most of these shootings are targeted / retaliation / payback. Basically, criminal's street justice behavior.

I guarantee you the man that's was targeted where the 3 year old was shot has a lengthy record.
He did something on the streets and got him targeted for payback.

The only way to stop these shooting, remove all these criminals from hartford, that ain't happening.
Policing won’t, but prosecution/laws will definitely have an impact. A significant percentage of those committing crimes like this aren’t new to the CJ system - recidivism rates are very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut