Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 06:24 AM

16 posts, read 17,609 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our family of 4 which includes a 5 year old and a 1 year old, are planning to buy property in the next few months in either Cortlandt Manor or Stamford, CT. We narrowed our search to these two towns for the following reasons:

1. Proximity to NYC since husband will commute to Bronx everyday, and I will need to take Metro North for at least twice a week for work.

2. These two towns are more affordable when compared to other towns in Westchester, NY or CT

While we love the two towns, Stamford seems to interest us more (it’s just a vibe thing). Nevertheless, I
keep hearing that the Stamford public schools do not perform well. And while we are not looking for a town with top rated schools, we do aim to get our two boys into “very decent schools” with adequate resources. Since it seems that Cortlandt public schools perform better (Lakeland, specifically, due to the foreseeable tax issue with the Henry Hudson schools) with we may be more inclined to opt for moving into Cortlandt.

We don’t want to be too superficial when selecting our town; we do want to opt for what is best. Are we overlooking other things?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 06:32 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
These are two very different places, so it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison.

Stamford is a city, with 3 basic types of areas - urban housing, working class/older housing, and upscale/suburban type housing in North Stamford. Which section would you be looking at?

Cortlandt Manor will be suburban, so most comparable to North Stamford, though possibly not as upscale.

Based on schools alone, with kids the ages of your kids, I would not choose Stamford.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:11 AM

4,460 posts, read 3,354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyi23 View Post
Hello,

Our family of 4 which includes a 5 year old and a 1 year old, are planning to buy property in the next few months in either Cortlandt Manor or Stamford, CT. We narrowed our search to these two towns for the following reasons:

1. Proximity to NYC since husband will commute to Bronx everyday, and I will need to take Metro North for at least twice a week for work.

2. These two towns are more affordable when compared to other towns in Westchester, NY or CT

While we love the two towns, Stamford seems to interest us more (it’s just a vibe thing). Nevertheless, I
keep hearing that the Stamford public schools do not perform well. And while we are not looking for a town with top rated schools, we do aim to get our two boys into “very decent schools” with adequate resources. Since it seems that Cortlandt public schools perform better (Lakeland, specifically, due to the foreseeable tax issue with the Henry Hudson schools) with we may be more inclined to opt for moving into Cortlandt.

We don’t want to be too superficial when selecting our town; we do want to opt for what is best. Are we overlooking other things?

Thanks in advance!
I was born and raised in Stamford but I now live in Trumbull CT. My husband and I moved for a better school system. The schools in Stamford are not the greatest. The schools in CT cities unfortunately are not the greatest frankly. If Cortland Manor is suburban I am sure the schools must be much better. I looked up some info for you but you can do further research on other school ranking sites too.

On this site you can see that Cortland Manor gets good ratings--higher stars.
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/c...or/search.aspx

The first few schools in this list are charter schools and everyone is trying to get their kids into them so it is a gamble. The relatives and friends that are still in Stamford send their kids to private schools.
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CT/c...rd/search.aspx

Stamford does have a good vibe though, I can attest to that. I had fun growing up there but the schools were much better years ago.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:34 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,757,734 times
If you and your kids WANT a great public education in CT, you'll get one, that's a gaurantee, anywhere. We're top 3 in the nation. I personally have and am seeing it. Thats a personal family decision best researched away from CT Forum pundits save for member 7Wishes here. He/she has taught in both counties and knows the ins and out. Pick his/her brain if he/she posts here. The rest will just tell you don't do it or this or that elementary is ok without any proof of experience.

I don't know Cortland. If you're living in NYC, Stamford will seem like a suburb. Trees and forests are in abundance north of DT. The Long and High Ridge Rd corridors, Westover, Turn of River, outlying streets in and around Glenbrook and Springdale would be ideal places to start. If you want more land, look futher up in North Stamford. If you want New England charm and character look elsewhere altogether, but that will come at a cost.

Best

Old 04-22-2021, 07:34 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
These places aren't really comparable. I'm not sure your budget, but as mentioned, you're comparing a small suburb to a city and there's a significant gap in school performance. That's not to say Stamford schools will be bad, they're not.

Keep in mind taxes in CT towns tend to be much lower.

If you're willing to commute further you could get the low taxes, excellent school, and affordability in CT. Wilton and Ridgefield come to mind. Easy access to 684 for the Bronx from Ridgefield. From Wilton, Merritt and combo of backroads to Bronx isn't terrible. Both have good train access, from South Norwalk or from Katonah.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:47 AM

What is your budget for a house? We might be able to give you different suggestions in CT.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM

16 posts, read 17,609 times
Thanks to all for the feedback! It’s much appreciated! Our budget is $500,000. Stamford is in our list due to proximity to NYC. My husband will drive to the Bronx daily and I will need to take the metro-north regularly. If other CT towns come to mind, send them in please! Thanks!

Old 04-22-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all for the feedback! It’s much appreciated! Our budget is $500,000. Stamford is in our list due to proximity to NYC. My husband will drive to the Bronx daily and I will need to take the metro-north regularly. If other CT towns come to mind, send them in please! Thanks!
Where in the Bronx (Street) does he go to?

How long is the commute/drive from Courtlandt Manor to your husbands job?

You could get into Fairfield which is a great town/vibe and it has excellent schools. I you like Stamford you would most probably like the vibe of Fairfield. That was a town I was looking into for a house before I bought one in Trumbull.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:23 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,757,734 times
Unless youre ok with a small cape (and it may not be turnkey) in a denser neighborhood, 5 is low for even Stamford in this market and you don't want to be driving to the Bronx daily further from there, believe me. Whatever you do don't go east. You would have to go out PAST Fairfield to get anything decent for 5 and under. Maybe Danbury or the area.

I'd stick with Cortland or Westchester if possible.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:34 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Ridgefield or New Fairfield.

500k seems low for Cortlandt too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut