Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 01:06 PM

17 posts, read 33,087 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in the state converted their home to natural gas? If so, I'm curious how much you had to pay for the gas line to be brought from the street to your house. I'm specifically looking to hear from people who have Eversource as their service provider. I live on a state road where a new gas main was recently installed. The main line is probably less than 60 feet from my house, but the cost to get the gas line brought up to house is going to cost me an astronomical amount, anywhere from approximately $7,000 to $20,000. It's all dependent on how many appliances I convert to gas. I'm really shocked at the price.

Earlier this year, I received a nice mailer from Eversource encouraging me to sign up and how the first 150 ft of gas line may be free. But, after calling them, I got a totally different story.

What has your experience been with Eversource natural gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 02:59 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,867 times
I know a few years ago they were running promotions to hookup at low or no cost (at least 2 neighbors did it and my parents) but not sure if that's still the case. I think at the time it was part of a state program not sure if that's still around.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:40 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I can’t imagine how it would cost $7,000 to install 60 feet of gas pipe. That must include the cost of a new gas furnace as well. I’m not sure what would warrant $20,000. That seems extremely high but may be for longer, more complex connections. I’d have them come out to give you a more accurate estimate.

I’d definitely convert the furnace and hot water heater if they are ready for replacement. You could do your range and dryer in the future if you want. Up to you. Jay

Old 04-26-2021, 05:11 PM

The 7K price tag is before any installation of appliances. I already had them came out to draw up the estimate.

One thing I didn't mention in my initial post is that the house is a two family so Eversource would be making out like bandits. I’m with you, I don’t get the high price.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:05 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjwh99 View Post
The 7K price tag is before any installation of appliances. I already had them came out to draw up the estimate.

One thing I didn't mention in my initial post is that the house is a two family so Eversource would be making out like bandits. I’m with you, I don’t get the high price.
If they have to extend the line in the road to reach your house that requires them digging up the road and and repaving it. That's why it's so expensive. If the line is already in front of your house they can use a horizontal drilling method were they can run the line through your lawn without digging it up.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:19 AM

6,881 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjwh99 View Post

Eversource doesn't intstall boilers and appliances. They aren't an HVAC company.
7K is too much for a line connection from rd. All they do is dig one hole at the road and one hole at the foundation and drill it through underground. A few hours of work.
I thought some do it free if you open an account. I'd inquire about that.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:19 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,516 times
Did it end of last fall though with SCG. Just caught the tail end of a promo. Free install plus 1k rebate. The rebate was only if installed a hi efficiency gas furnace which we did.
Gas is on the street. It's more work than I thought......3 or 4 trucks there. Hydraulic ram that burrows underneath.

Actually depending on the age of the road can matter greatly. In my town if under 5 years old it was 5-7k just to repave the road to a like new standard.
After that it's no charge with an acceptable lower standard.

Also an important part is current oil prices. When low...like last year, gas companies have to motivate you to convert.
When I looked at converting other houses a few years ago it was similar high pricing to what the OP mentioned.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Did it end of last fall though with SCG. Just caught the tail end of a promo. Free install plus 1k rebate. The rebate was only if installed a hi efficiency gas furnace which we did.
Gas is on the street. It's more work than I thought......3 or 4 trucks there. Hydraulic ram that burrows underneath.

Actually depending on the age of the road can matter greatly. In my town if under 5 years old it was 5-7k just to repave the road to a like new standard.
After that it's no charge with an acceptable lower standard.

Also an important part is current oil prices. When low...like last year, gas companies have to motivate you to convert.
When I looked at converting other houses a few years ago it was similar high pricing to what the OP mentioned.
Wish I had SCG.

Eversource sent me a mailer saying they would give me a $500 rebate if I converted this year since the state is planning to pave the road in the fall. But I got a totally different story after chatting with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut