Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 07:15 AM

4,250 posts, read 2,557,922 times

Advertisements

Moving a historic home is not a great alternative, but its better than nothing I suppose. Below is a link to a home originally built in 1796 which was moved decades ago - the area became suburban from farmland in the 1950's. Having been in the home before it sold, it felt like it had always been there, though the modern updates are clearly visible (AC, sunporch &c). It was moved so carefully that even the runnels (ground gutters were put in). Sometimes this is all one can hope for.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/06...-hits-market/#

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...12337047_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 08:59 AM

6,618 posts, read 5,025,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Thanks webster!

I already helped get a law passed in Trumbull that states you can't change the outside of a historic home (or knock it down) on the main roads. But the owner of the historic home can re-adapt for the use inside the house.

In that law, what defines "historic"? Is it the age of the structure, does it need to be in a historic district, or listed on either the state or national register? (serious question)

Old 05-22-2021, 11:06 AM

4,500 posts, read 3,390,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
In that law, what defines "historic"? Is it the age of the structure, does it need to be in a historic district, or listed on either the state or national register? (serious question)
Before the year 1900 and on a Main Road.

The roads are Main Street, White Plains Road, Church Hill Road, Unity Road*, Shelton Road* and Daniels Farm Road. The house where they want to put in the 9 apartments is on Daniels Farm Road. I bet if we didn't have that law they would want to tear the house down and put up condos because it is within walking distance of the commercial district on White Plains Road. If you look on the map of 49 Daniels Farm Road (built 1756) it has 3 buildings on the property. There is actually another little house (built 1850) and a barn besides the big historic home. All they would have to do is buy out the two remaining houses and they would have enough land to put condos in. I made an area in red so you can see what I am referring to.
Click image for larger version

Name:	49DanielsFarmRoad.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	229492

The law that was passed saved two old historic homes on that property.

*Unity Road and Shelton Road are Historic Nichols which is on the National Register of Historic Places. Someone wanted to put over 200 condos in Historic Nichols and I helped stop that. That is when the people who love historic homes said "we need to have a law passed to save the historic homes" because developers could care less about historic areas when money is involved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichol...toric_District

Last edited by CTartist; 05-22-2021 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-22-2021, 11:17 AM

6,618 posts, read 5,025,243 times
Quote:
Before the year 1900 and on a Main Road.

The roads are Main Street, White Plains Road, Church Hill Road and Daniels Farm Road. The house where they want to put in the 9 apartments is on Daniels Farm Road. I bet if we didn't have that law they would want to tear the house down and put up condos because it is within walking distance of the commercial district on White Plains Road. If you look on the map of 49 Daniels Farm Road (built 1756) it has 3 buildings on the property. There is actually another little house (built 1850) and a barn besides the big historic home. All they would have to do is buy out the two remaining houses and they would have enough land to put condos in. I made an area in red so you can see what I am referring to.
Attachment 229492

The law that was passed saved two old historic homes on that property.
Excellent! Thank you

Old 05-22-2021, 09:28 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,437,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route7toRoute202 View Post
https://goodmorningwilton.com/develo...-wont-be-easy/

It's a crying shame. The developers falsely claimed that the property is not on any historic lists or registers. It is actually on the town list of historic properties, a designation that it has held since 1989.

http://wiltonhistorical.org/wp-conte...aug-Road-2.pdf

Off-topic, but I am in another state now. Recently a hospital here wanted to knock down an 1800’s Italianate Mansion to put in a parking lot. The mansion occupies a small part of the future parking lot size. The decision has been put off till fall.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:54 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,963,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route7toRoute202 View Post
I really hope that this development is shot down. Looking at the preview shot, that is one ugly looking building and has no place anywhere in Wilton. That house is a total landmark similar to 183 Ridgefield Road. Especially since it's a former home of the Gregory Family, one of the original 8 families from Norwalk that settled Wilton in 1651. The architecture of the building is incredible too, an 18th Century Colonial farmhouse with an Italianate porch and gothic trim? Talk about unique.

Another thing that I'm particularly worried about is the fact that this developer is refusing to acknowledge that the property is historic. Being unable to reach a compromise on the house was one of the reasons that the previous developer backed out. And I could see a similar situation a la 1 Wilton Road in Westport where the developer just starts demolishing the house anyways.
Leaving aside whether the building is "historic" or not, I just don't see the demand for luxury apartments in Wilton at this time, and certainly not at the scale being proposed by the developer. If anything, the town is looking to add more affordable units, which this development does not do. Plus the intersection with Rt 7 will need to be altered to address the traffic issues this will create, likely by adding a traffic light. I can't see it going through in its current form.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Leaving aside whether the building is "historic" or not, I just don't see the demand for luxury apartments in Wilton at this time, and certainly not at the scale being proposed by the developer. If anything, the town is looking to add more affordable units, which this development does not do. Plus the intersection with Rt 7 will need to be altered to address the traffic issues this will create, likely by adding a traffic light. I can't see it going through in its current form.
When Trumbull approves an apartment building there is a certain % of affordable housing that needs to go in it to bolster our affordable housing stock. I bet Wilton will do the same with this apartment building. That is how Trumbull go to 5% affordable housing with more to come as about 500 to 800 new apartments will be coming to Trumbull between now and 2025.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:27 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,963,730 times
Quote:
When Trumbull approves an apartment building there is a certain % of affordable housing that needs to go in it to bolster our affordable housing stock. I bet Wilton will do the same with this apartment building. That is how Trumbull go to 5% affordable housing with more to come as about 500 to 800 new apartments will be coming to Trumbull between now and 2025.
The developer has 10% allocated "affordable", but not sure what that means in a "luxury" building.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:44 AM

7,086 posts, read 3,843,158 times
Quote:
The developer has 10% allocated "affordable", but not sure what that means in a "luxury" building.
Exactly. All these new builds have the "allocated 10%" wink wink. Everywhere. Trumbull isn't singled out.
Most people in Wilton can afford things so they'll be affordable.

Old 05-24-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I just got this PDF in my e-mail and it explains what all the affordable housing mean. This is pertinent in many threads to I am going to hold onto this. I thought it was about 50% of going rent or market value of the house in a particular town. For instance my town of Trumbull will have a much lower affordable rent than Westport's affordable rent.

"Another kind of housing-based subsidy focuses on reducing the operational costs of housing. These programs provide continuing financial assistance to housing developments to offset the costs of tenancy. They are generally only available to housing developments that specifically designate a percentage of their units for low-income tenants based on the median income for the area. For example, Project-Based Vouchers under the federal Housing Choice Voucher Program (commonly referred to as Section 8) fund housing developments to keep rent low for families making below 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area."--this was in the PDF

If you look on page 9 of this PDF it gives all the different kinds of affordable housing and how they subsidize it etc. I can't figure out how to attached the PDF. Maybe one of the moderators can help me with that.

Here is a link that describes about all the affordable housing in Fairfield County but I think I am more confused about it. It looks like it goes by FAIRFIELD COUNTY AVERAGES and not by each town.
https://affordablehousingonline.com/...irfield-County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut