Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 09:43 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1501 View Post
I agree that the price might be high, but I'm hoping for the right buyer it isn't. The one that is contingent for $299k for example sold for $230k in 2020. Ours also has a door to the outside and has no shared walls.

I guess everyone has different tastes. Our condo was run as an Airbnb for years and everyone commented on how much they loved the decor. Our realtor absolutely loves it and says she wishes I would decorate her house lol. Our place also comes fully furnished. I guess we should advertise that now. Our realtor said not to because she expected a multiple bid scenario where furniture doesn't matter. But we could change that. Also, our realtor definitely didn't set high expectations to win our business. She didn't say any of that until after we were already going to go with her. I truly think she just doesn't understand the condo market here or maybe it's cooled off recently.
Ely is just about the worst street in town, so if there is a contigent condo there for 299, that speaks volumes to this crazy market. I'd stick to your guns right now. DO NOT LOWER! yet
There's nothing you can do about 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, and the layout. The decor is more than adequate for a hotter than usual market. Buyers know skulls will be taken away.
Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 09:52 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
Staging matters still, it helps create the 2+ bidders needed to get a bidding war above asking. Also I strongly agree that the furry blanket on the bed and the animal skull on the wall in the living room have to go. It may not negatively impact but it doesn’t add anything and the realtor should have said to remove those. My agent when selling my 2 bed. 1.5 bath condo had someone come in and tell us what to add/remove and have us a handful of small things to go buy at Home Goods/Marshalls for $100 that made a difference.
It doesn't, no, sellers aren't lifitng fingers at the moment. They'll tidy up though, fold clothes put them away.
That could change though once things slow down.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:28 AM

464 posts, read 312,408 times
After re-looking at the photos and reading some points it’s clear the OP is (a) defending the realtor and (b) really concerned about decor and style.

OF COURSE Air BnB people love your furniture, style and decor. They are staying in it for what, 2-7 days on average? Maybe a couple of weeks. Buying and living in is MUCH different than a cool, hip place to stay. People staying in hotels and Air BnB tend to eat out in that local area and the house isn’t that important. If it’s fun and hip, clean and modern, even better. You are not convincing someone to overpay to buy, you’re just convincing them to stay for a little while.

I’m sorry but your kitchen isn’t very good. I’m guessing people end up eating in the living room? That table barely fits 2 people with 2 plates and beverages let alone a salad bowl and other stuff. As stated by someone else, it also is awkwardly placed near the entry way and oven. I’m not being mean or overly critical, but you posted this seeking feedback. If I was looking for a condo I would want 2 baths, then I would rule it out because of the kitchen/lack of eating nook and on top of that, it’s the highest priced condo for sale with 1 bath and has no garage. Do you have a basement, storage?

$325K this is not and in this hot market, buyers are not excited

Old 05-16-2021, 11:14 AM

34 posts, read 57,583 times
While I love the decor style, certain things are turning me off : throw pillows everywhere, tiny dining area, a laundry area that looks like someone still lives there and used it this morning, the fur throws, the animal heads on the walls, the kitchen rug, the outdoor rug. The house is decorated for fall/winter, not spring/summer. I also wonder what all the area rugs are hiding.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:10 PM

464 posts, read 312,408 times
The floor plan is funny calling it an eat in kitchen...barely, then then is 130 sq feet just for the “hallway”. The space isn’t used very well. Again, nothing you can change, but if you want to be the most expensive 1 bath condo for sale in town, better have some compelling things to make up for it.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:37 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Looks good!I think you did an excellent job in setting it up but a staged house just looks different. I also think you need to have your photos lightened and enhanced to give that clarity and that very bright look that buyers are looking for. Otherwise, the house looks dark and the lights on indicate that it’s so dark that you needed the lights for pictures. Truly, a great photographer makes a huge difference. That being said you’ll probably have offers by mid week.

Old 05-16-2021, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 7,438 times
I get that some people will not like the decor, and if I was going to go back and redo the photos I would change it up a bit (the seasonal thing was a good point), but I'm not going to go and redo them just yet. I think plenty of people would be just fine with it or even like it. We got so many comments on how homey the place was from our Airbnb guests. Our guests stayed for a month on average. I am actually an interior decorator and the bright white aesthetic is out, whereas two-tone and colored kitchen cabinets are very in, as well as bold wall colors. I get that it doesn't have as much mass appeal, but again we just need one person who appreciates "trendy". Personally, there is nothing I hate more than the new build look, and I am super over white everything.

I'm not defending my realtor for no reason lol. She is the top selling agent at her agency and does $2m+ houses regularly so I do give her opinion more weight than a single internet person, but I am hearing the feedback here and do appreciate it. We are listing our 3 bed 4 bath single family soon, so I will keep all this in mind when staging. Our single family is fully renovated to suit that bright white aesthetic and open floor plan (I used to like it lol) so it will have much more broad appeal.

Anyway we got our first two showings this afternoon so fingers crossed!

Last edited by dad1501; 05-16-2021 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Ely is just about the worst street in town, so if there is a contigent condo there for 299, that speaks volumes to this crazy market. I'd stick to your guns right now. DO NOT LOWER! yet
There's nothing you can do about 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, and the layout. The decor is more than adequate for a hotter than usual market. Buyers know skulls will be taken away.
Best
Lol I did not know Ely has that reputation, but good to know! And yes it is on Ely, contingent for $299k, 300 square feet smaller, you HAVE to take all the furniture, and tenant through July 18th. So I do think we cannot possibly sell for lower than $300k.

About the skull, I actually wasn't planning on taking it haha. We do not want any of the furniture, so we are willing to throw it in for the right buyer.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
After re-looking at the photos and reading some points it’s clear the OP is (a) defending the realtor and (b) really concerned about decor and style.

OF COURSE Air BnB people love your furniture, style and decor. They are staying in it for what, 2-7 days on average? Maybe a couple of weeks. Buying and living in is MUCH different than a cool, hip place to stay. People staying in hotels and Air BnB tend to eat out in that local area and the house isn’t that important. If it’s fun and hip, clean and modern, even better. You are not convincing someone to overpay to buy, you’re just convincing them to stay for a little while.

I’m sorry but your kitchen isn’t very good. I’m guessing people end up eating in the living room? That table barely fits 2 people with 2 plates and beverages let alone a salad bowl and other stuff. As stated by someone else, it also is awkwardly placed near the entry way and oven. I’m not being mean or overly critical, but you posted this seeking feedback. If I was looking for a condo I would want 2 baths, then I would rule it out because of the kitchen/lack of eating nook and on top of that, it’s the highest priced condo for sale with 1 bath and has no garage. Do you have a basement, storage?

$325K this is not and in this hot market, buyers are not excited
309 Ely Ave Apt 2 is contingent for $299k. It's also 2 bed 1 bath and has no dining area and 300 sq feet smaller. They have a 10x12 storage room. Ours is 25x18.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/309-Ely...AwrvdpuAuIar1w

People who are complaining about our staging should go and look at theirs lol. I don't think our problem is staging or photography. Probably just a slower market right now and things will take longer to sell, particularly one with some unique features like ours. I just don't believe someone would prefer their tiny cramped kitchen to our gigantic one just because their cabinets are white. They've also got awful plastic countertops.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:57 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Look at this picture of the kitchen. This really matters.
Attachment 229356

I look at this kitchen (as a woman) and I think you can cook a meal for 6 people in the kitchen but that table is actually to small to comfortably fit even two people. The placement of that table blocks the flow into the kitchen. My mother has a condo smaller than that but you can cook for 6 people and 4 people can fit very comfortably at the table and with a leaf in the table can accommodate 6 people if needed without blocking flow.

FUNCTION of design trumps beauty of design. You should design for function first and the beauty comes second.
My thoughts exactly.

The person buying a 2bdr is probably similar to my family when we moved to Stamford.
A couple with a small child or baby. I don't see how we can all sit comfortably here.

Also - I like kitchens with red and yellow accents - making such a unique decision on kitchen color = me spending money to update.

In the guest bedroom - if that is a full size bed it makes it feel too small. I would have set it up as a nursery instead. 10x11 is a decent sized bedroom for a kid but it just feels a bit smaller in the picture.

All in all I think my biggest issue is the lack of eating space

I do like the outdoor area and the living room is a good size and I like the built in shelf.

I'm sure you'll get offers though - but I think I can get something a bit better in Norwalk for this price or something similar in Stamford

Quote:
People who are complaining about our staging should go and look at theirs lol. I don't think our problem is staging or photography. Probably just a slower market right now and things will take longer to sell, particularly one with some unique features like ours. I just don't believe someone would prefer their tiny cramped kitchen to our gigantic one just because their cabinets are white. They've also got awful plastic countertops.

"Unique" is good for the people who made the decision but not always great for attracting buyers. White cabinets are a blank slate that you can dress up however you want.

Edit - getting signs today the market may be cooling down. We are actively looking in Fairfield and many of the houses in the 600-700 range are seeing price cuts today. I dont think I've seen this many in a day before

Last edited by Highwyre237; 05-17-2021 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut