Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:35 AM

21,667 posts, read 31,322,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You have to wonder where these ridiculous extreme Bills come from and how they get any traction. But they do. All I can say is contact your State Representative and Senator to voice your opposition. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Unbelievable. If this gets passed it’s sends the wrong message. The acts against minors is extremely scary. Just yesterday a high power person was caught trying to meet a 15 year old. He works with kids and, if investigated and arrested, that will be wiped clean?!! How is that safe?

I have a 3 year old and I would like to keep these offensives known, for safety and neighborhood safety.
It passed already, along party lines. All eyes on Ned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 07:53 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,640,273 times
I haven't read the details, but am wondering what the arguments are *for* this, and if there are conditions and requirements to be met before erasure can be considered. From the headlines it sounds too much like a free pass.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:16 AM

7,939 posts, read 7,850,352 times
Some of this gets hypocritical.

How can a progressive anywhere believe these two statements.

1) We must erase criminal histories of people to help them out

2) Institutional racism compounded with time means we should have assistance programs if not reparations.

It's hard to argue that we should generalize and penalize a whole population based on what happened generations prior but we cannot judge individuals with actual empirical and legal evidence that happened years ago.

There's a difference between sealing a record and outright deleting it. In Mass records can be sealed after a given amount of time but we know it's still there. "Banning the box" didn't really help because although employers can't see it they know something was there. If a name isn't on the record then there is no record and that's what CT pretty much is doing here.

Misdemenors are one thing but felonies are another. Just because someone is non violent doesn't mean they are fine. If this puts more addicts on the streets and neighborhoods without providing more rehab it sounds it could be like the mental health hospital closings all over again. This might ruffle some feathers but the closings of that on the federal and state levels from the 1960's onward was a bad idea. One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest and Titicut Follies are not indicative of the medical system.

If you read the bill it does list some other parts. DMV is not removing anything auto related. But the other part is a bit shocking in that if you rent or sell property you cannot look at this. I think this counters the sex offender registry. I bought a house and I have a unfinished ADU. I'm ready to invest tens of thousands to bring it up to code and probably rent as a airbnb. If you tell me I can't block a sex offender from renting it I'm probably not doing it. We're going to see property values drop like a rock. In Mass some communities tried to zone sex offenders but it was struck down six years ago

https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/a...NEWS/150826443

I just checked the registry and found six within a few miles of me. They vary quite a bit but some of these can be really bad. Does this nullify the registry or what?

Here's a bit to consider. Did ANYONE even talk to the insurance industry on this? I would argue that there's no way that they would say have a policy on a home if a serial arsonist is going to buy it.

Last edited by mdovell; 05-28-2021 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: adding more

Old 05-28-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I haven't read the details, but am wondering what the arguments are *for* this, and if there are conditions and requirements to be met before erasure can be considered. From the headlines it sounds too much like a free pass.
I read the bill pretty extensively and spoke to a state representative I know well in Newtown. It is very much a free pass. There was an attempt to remove “hate crimes” from the bill but that was also knocked down. See below:

(e) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection,
140 whenever any person has been convicted in any court of this state of a
141 classified or unclassified misdemeanor offense, or a class C, D or E
142 felony or an unclassified felony offense carrying a term of imprisonment
143 of not more than ten years, any police or court record and record of the
144 state's or prosecuting attorney or the prosecuting grand juror pertaining
145 to such conviction, or any record pertaining to court obligations arising
146 from such conviction held by the Board of Pardons and Paroles shall be
147 erased as follows: (A) For any classified or unclassified misdemeanor
148 offense, such records shall be erased seven years from the date on which
149 the court entered the convicted person's most recent judgment of
150 conviction (i) by operation of law, if such offense occurred on or after
151 January 1, 2000, or (ii) upon the filing of a petition on a form prescribed
152 by the Office of the Chief Court Administrator, if such offense occurred
153 prior to January 1, 2000; (B) for any class D or E felony or an unclassified
154 felony offense carrying a term of imprisonment of not more than five
155 years, such records shall be erased ten years from the date on which the
156 court entered the convicted person's most recent judgment of conviction
157 (i) by operation of law, if such offense occurred on or after January 1,
158 2000, or (ii) upon the filing of a petition on a form prescribed by the
159 Office of the Chief Court Administrator, if such offense occurred prior
160 to January 1, 2000; and (C) for any class C felony or an unclassified
161 felony offense carrying a term of imprisonment of not more than ten
162 years, but more than five years, such records shall be erased fifteen years
163 from the date on which the court entered the convicted person's most
164 recent judgment of conviction (i) by operation of law, if such offense
165 occurred on or after January 1, 2000, or (ii) upon the filing of a petition
166 on a form prescribed by the Office of the Chief Court Administrator, if
167 such offense occurred prior to January 1, 2000.

Misdemeanors will be erased from a criminal’s record after 7, and most felonies after 10. This means if someone committed Robbery or Enticing of a Minor in 2011, there would be zero record of it as of this year.

Because of this, you will have convicted felons effectively able to become police officers, teachers, bus drivers, daycare workers, etc since there will be no record, nor will they be legally required to disclose it.

People need to realize that recidivism rates are incredibly high for many career criminals. This is not good.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:19 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,962,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I read the bill pretty extensively and spoke to a state representative I know well in Newtown. It is very much a free pass. There was an attempt to remove “hate crimes” from the bill but that was also knocked down. See below:

(e) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection,
140 whenever any person has been convicted in any court of this state of a
141 classified or unclassified misdemeanor offense, or a class C, D or E
142 felony or an unclassified felony offense carrying a term of imprisonment
143 of not more than ten years, any police or court record and record of the
144 state's or prosecuting attorney or the prosecuting grand juror pertaining
145 to such conviction, or any record pertaining to court obligations arising
146 from such conviction held by the Board of Pardons and Paroles shall be
147 erased as follows: (A) For any classified or unclassified misdemeanor
148 offense, such records shall be erased seven years from the date on which
149 the court entered the convicted person's most recent judgment of
150 conviction (i) by operation of law, if such offense occurred on or after
151 January 1, 2000, or (ii) upon the filing of a petition on a form prescribed
152 by the Office of the Chief Court Administrator, if such offense occurred
153 prior to January 1, 2000; (B) for any class D or E felony or an unclassified
154 felony offense carrying a term of imprisonment of not more than five
155 years, such records shall be erased ten years from the date on which the
156 court entered the convicted person's most recent judgment of conviction
157 (i) by operation of law, if such offense occurred on or after January 1,
158 2000, or (ii) upon the filing of a petition on a form prescribed by the
159 Office of the Chief Court Administrator, if such offense occurred prior
160 to January 1, 2000; and (C) for any class C felony or an unclassified
161 felony offense carrying a term of imprisonment of not more than ten
162 years, but more than five years, such records shall be erased fifteen years
163 from the date on which the court entered the convicted person's most
164 recent judgment of conviction (i) by operation of law, if such offense
165 occurred on or after January 1, 2000, or (ii) upon the filing of a petition
166 on a form prescribed by the Office of the Chief Court Administrator, if
167 such offense occurred prior to January 1, 2000.

Misdemeanors will be erased from a criminal’s record after 7, and most felonies after 10. This means if someone committed Robbery or Enticing of a Minor in 2011, there would be zero record of it as of this year.

Because of this, you will have convicted felons effectively able to become police officers, teachers, bus drivers, daycare workers, etc since there will be no record, nor will they be legally required to disclose it.

People need to realize that recidivism rates are incredibly high for many career criminals. This is not good.
Although if recidivism rates are high, the likelihood is that these people will not be able to go 7 or 10 years without re-offending, thereby resetting the clock. Just saying.

I really don't have a problem with this for non-violent misdemeanors, or even non-violent felonies. Frankly I don't think it even makes much sense to incarcerate people for these types crimes, but I think those who are recidivists or commit violent or sex crimes should have the book thrown at them. And sex crimes like incest and violent crimes like robbery should never be wiped away.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Although if recidivism rates are high, the likelihood is that these people will not be able to go 7 or 10 years without re-offending, thereby resetting the clock. Just saying.
They would not be able to since most of their prison sentences are at least that. For many, their record will have been wiped clean before they are even released.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:05 AM

512 posts, read 445,213 times
It’s crazy how quickly things have changed. The so called elected officials are more concerned nowadays about catering to criminals than hard working tax payers. And so much for New Yorkers fleeing to CT due to high crime in NYC. The crime will most certainly increase in CT as a result of this. We can see what happened in NY since they released so many criminals because officials claimed the criminals would catch COVID, so they emptied prisons.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:58 AM

859 posts, read 519,038 times
Quote:
They would not be able to since most of their prison sentences are at least that. For many, their record will have been wiped clean before they are even released.
Pretty sure the clock starts at the max date, ie after parole end if they parole or on release if they don't.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:15 AM

34,140 posts, read 17,206,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I would like to know which politician(s) introduced this insanity. They should be voted out of office.
Considering one of our most populated cities hires ex cons as mayors, this , sadly, is not surprising. We've gone crazy in this state, appeasing the radical left. This is the AOC wing style taking over (ideology, not the bartender herself).

Old 05-28-2021, 11:16 AM

34,140 posts, read 17,206,205 times
Quote:
More importantly, which ones voted for it. It passed right down party lines last night, meaning all Democrats voted for it, all Republicans against.

Great point. I am delighted it went party line. No hiding by the liberals here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut