Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 11:11 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not all sex crimes are excluded. Enticing a child is included in what qualifies for erasure:

(a) A person is guilty of enticing a minor when such person uses an interactive computer service to knowingly persuade, induce, entice or coerce any person (1) under eighteen years of age, or (2) who the actor reasonably believes to be under eighteen years of age, to engage in prostitution or sexual activity for which the actor may be charged with a criminal offense.

Incredibly disturbing. I really don’t know how anyone can support Lamont after this.
Unreal. This is the state where the Berlin Turnpike had several motels where human trafficking regularly occurred. A girl who was a trafficking victim was caught a few years ago at a Milford hotel as well. Several others in town, no doubt, had similar activity, on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-FEb1J_w9g

I cannot fathom how spineless Lamont was in signing this bill. It is a reprehensible bill, which should have been vetoed instantly. Those guilty of the above will never be safe in society again, after crossing that abominable boundary, and committing this savage crime. We need their records public, for the rest of their lives, and the sexual predator offender registry maintained at all times.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 04:47 AM

6,891 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not all sex crimes are excluded. Enticing a child is included in what qualifies for erasure:
Hard to believe they went there. I'm speechless. I don't know what to say. That's a game changer for me. Sunsets over the Sound will never be the same. DW has been on my case about exploring RE in next weeks trip down to Myrtle. I've been pushing back, not anymore, I'm in now.

He's a shoe-in for re-election. You know it, I know it, everyone does.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:31 AM

929 posts, read 304,042 times
Lamont and the Democrats in the Legislature are just in lock step with their Party . The current Administration has closed and is reorganizing the aid to victims of crimes by illegals against US citizens.

I would love to inquire to one of those Democrats here to explain how passing this bill is better for the citizens of CT. Somers prison just closed their doors. Slaps on the wrist for Juvenile offenders , and now this. Shameful.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:18 AM

9,118 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Will this mean the Sex Offenders Register will be eliminated?

Old 06-12-2021, 09:36 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I’m guessing anyone guilty of enticing a minor that has their criminal history erased must not be required to register post erasure, since each registry is connected to a crime.

Makes me shudder. Anyone with children should be outraged.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Hard to believe they went there. I'm speechless. I don't know what to say. That's a game changer for me. Sunsets over the Sound will never be the same. DW has been on my case about exploring RE in next weeks trip down to Myrtle. I've been pushing back, not anymore, I'm in now.

He's a shoe-in for re-election. You know it, I know it, everyone does.
Like several states, Ct has had problems with sex trafficking. Our pattern of US1 to I95 does not help. These guys like to sneak in and out. This bill is, no doubt, being applauded by them.

I do not care if we remove smoking, but not peddling, lesser drugs, nor remove from the record stuff like shoplifting after a period of time.. But not enticing minors, as too often, it was successful enticement where the state chose not to try the true offense or perhaps could not quite prove it.

I also do NOT believe a sexual offender can be rehabilitated. They must simply be kept at safe distance from civilized citizens forever, and yes their records need to be known forever.

City Data publishes a very good sexual predators list by town, btw.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I would advise all parents to save the data in it now, in each town within an hour of their families. Our spineless governor just made your kids a target.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:53 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...ivy-story.html

The other thing I was thinking about is this. Let's say records are sealed and someone was in prison for more than two years (any crime, just pick one). It's going to be obvious once a background check shows a gap of two years or more. Let's say it was five years..heck seven. How exactly can anyone explain two or more years of nothing on a resume? The only reasons someone would be unemployed outside of going to rehab would be prison..period. You can't say it was taking family leave off because even if paid that only is months, not years.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...he-box/494435/

"When I first met Malaki Mathieson last winter, he was desperately trying to find work. Mathieson, then 27, had been going to business school before he went to prison. When he got out, he went on job interviews. When the question about criminal history inevitably came up, he tried to stress to potential employers that he’d changed. But they still wanted to know about his conviction, and why he’d been in prison. It usually turned out badly.

“I told her about my conviction, and she wanted me to go deeper into what happened,” he told me, describing one interview in particular. “When I explained that I shot somebody in the back of the head, she didn’t want anything to do with me anymore.”

Well yeah of course.

"Their conclusion, that banning the box may have some substantial, unintended consequences, has been backed up by other research, too. In another study, Amanda Y. Agan of Princeton University and Sonja B. Starr of the University of Michigan Law School submitted thousands of fake job applications from young, low-skilled men of random races and criminal histories in New York and New Jersey, where ban-the-box policies had recently been introduced. And in a separate paper, Starr used CPS data from between 2004 and 2014 to measure how banning the box affected government employment rates. Her results also suggest that black men ages 18 to 64 were hurt by these policies. Overall, their study found that before ban the box, white applicants were called back slightly more often than black applicants were; after ban the box, white applicants were called back six times more often than black applicants were. White ex-offenders were actually helped by the rule, they found, possibly because employers assumed white applicants were unlikely to have criminal histories.

When employers have less information about an applicant, they discriminate against minorities, research suggests. For example, when employers are prevented from doing credit checks on potential employees, the likelihood of black applicants being hired is reduced by between 7 and 16 percent, one study found. When employers have more information, though, they are actually more likely to hire minorities. One study found that black employment rates actually increased, by between 7 and 30 percent, when employers require drug tests for employees. And another found that when firms conducted criminal background checks, the last hire was 37 percent more likely to be a black man."

Even if crime doesn't go up after this passes we don't have any real evidence that it's going to help. Employers have standards for reasons. Drug testing creeped in during the 80's, criminal background 90's and then credit. I'm not saying that all tests apply to all positions but still.

It's like the paradox of home security. Sometimes a criminal might be more likely to go after a house with a security system...why? Because they know you must have something good to justify spending that amount. Likewise if someone tries to get hired with a gap of two or more years they have to say what happened otherwise what's the explanation? If someone replies "I was in prison" ok yeah not all crimes are applicable. This is where these laws fail because you can't have transparency in hiring and then say there's some things you can't see. I know a director of a homeless shelter in Mass and he has to segregate off level 3 sex offenders and convicted arsonists. It's also a fundraising issue as a non profit who is going to give aid to group sheltering such people? How can you protect the general population and the building itself if you don't separate?
My hunch is after realizing the gaps in work history keep them from getting interviews or a job, they would fabricate a position to fill in the gaps. People adapt.
As an employer, people lying on their application/ resume is nothing new.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:36 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
This was just posted this morning on the Glastonbury Police’s Facebook page. Good work. Too bad they will likely get a slap on the hand. Jay

PRESS RELEASE: Arrest of 5 car theft suspects.

On the afternoon of 6/13/2021 between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Glastonbury PD received numerous reports of multiple suspects attempting to enter vehicles at several homes in South Glastonbury; including those on Great Pond Road, Bluff Point, and Main Street. At least two of the callers reported seeing suspects enter open garages in an attempt to access vehicles located in the garage. Witnesses described the suspects’ vehicle as a grey BMW sedan, which matched the description of a vehicle that was stolen out of Tolland the day before. GPD officers immediately responded to the area but initially could not locate the suspect vehicle. Evening shift officers were briefed about the day shift activity and were actively looking for the stolen vehicle.

On 6/13/2021 at 4:07 p.m. a GPD patrol officer patrolling Dug Road observed the stolen BMW pass him in the opposite direction but he lost sight of the vehicle. Other GPD officers responded to the area to assist in locating the stolen car. The BMW was spotted by another officer as it passed him traveling north on Main Street. It was then learned that the stolen BMW had just struck a vehicle at the intersection of Main St. and Hopewell Road, but evaded the scene, operating erratically north on Main Street with a blown tire. The BMW continued onto the highway portion of Rte. 17.

The suspect BMW then rear ended a vehicle on Rte. 17 northbound, causing it to strike a third vehicle. The suspect vehicle finally became disabled. Five suspects fled from the vehicle on foot into the adjacent Hubbard Street/Buttonball Lane neighborhood. GPD officers set up a perimeter around the area. K-9 units from multiple agencies were requested to assist in locating the suspects. Operators of the struck vehicles were evaluated by EMS on scene and one driver was later transported to the hospital with minor injuries.

At 4:33 p.m. an officer spotted the five suspects walking out of the woods at Glastonbury High School. Before officers could make contact with the suspects, the suspects were observed approaching black Honda sedan, which turned out to be a Lyft driver that the suspects had requested to pick them up. The Lyft driver exited the vehicle and four of the five suspects entered the vehicle. The suspects drove off in the Lyft driver’s Honda but crashed the vehicle into a fence a short distance away in the Glastonbury High School parking lot where the officers on scene initiated a foot pursuit, capturing all five suspects.

Personal items that had been located in a vehicle stolen from Wethersfield earlier in the day were located inside the stolen BMW upon its recovery.

The following parties were arrested based on each of their involvements in the day’s events:

Darrell Duncan (18 y/o) of Hartford was charged with CGS 14-222 Reckless Driving (2 counts), 14-224(b)(3) Evading Responsibility (2 counts), 53a-21 Risk of Injury to a Child (2 counts), 53a-123 Larceny 2nd Degree (2 counts), 53a-126b Criminal Trover 2nd Degree (2 counts), 53a-167a Interfering/Resisting Arrest (2 counts), 53a-64 Reckless Endangerment 2nd Degree, 53a-103 Burglary 3rd Degree, 53-48/53-103 Conspiracy to Commit Burglary 3rd Degree (6 counts). He was held on a total of $130,000 bail and is scheduled to be presented in Manchester Superior Court on 6/14/21.

Branden Duncan (18 y/o) of Hartford was charged with 53a-123 Larceny 2nd Degree (2 counts), 53a-125b Larceny 6th Degree, 53a-167a Interfering/Resisting Arrest (2 counts), 53a-48/53a-103 Conspiracy to Commit Burglary 3rd Degree (6 counts). He was held on $125,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in Manchester Superior Court on 6/14/21.

Christopher Collins (18 y/o) of East Granby was charged with 53-123 Larceny 2nd Degree (2 counts), 53a-167a Interfering/Resisting (2 counts), 53a-48/53a-103 Conspiracy to Commit Burglary 3rd Degree (6 counts). He was held on $125,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in Manchester Superior Court on 6/14/21.

A 15 y/o male juvenile from Enfield was charged with 53a-123 Larceny 2nd Degree on a summons to juvenile court and released to a guardian. Additional charges may be sought pursuant to the investigation.

A 16 y/o male juvenile from Hartford was charged with 53a-123 Larceny 2nd Degree on summons to juvenile court and released to a guardian. Additional charges may be sought pursuant to the investigation.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:32 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
My hunch is after realizing the gaps in work history keep them from getting interviews or a job, they would fabricate a position to fill in the gaps. People adapt.
As an employer, people lying on their application/ resume is nothing new.
Lying is one thing but there's really no way you can fake years. Businesses have forms of incorporation and frankly it doesn't take that much to find if one is fake or not.

Usually when I hear about an incident I google the name and find out priors within seconds. Yeah some might say "You can't judge me for that" ok fine but what *DO* you want me to judge you on? Unless someone was in an accident and disabled or rehab (physical or drug) it's going to be pretty hard to make things up. I have a distant relative that's addicted. My grandmother used to say she was taking classes and when asked she couldn't say where. Regardless of crime if you put someone up with a decent record of verifiable things vs one of no record of anything this with a decent record will win jobs.

I might have mentioned it earlier I have a bad apple in my family. He's addicted (different one). Hardly any work experience and in and out of prison. He gets out because he's not violent, that's in the past. Even if you sealed his record he's in his mid 30's now. How can you explain 15+ years of nothing?!? Kohl's almost hired him until they saw the violence. Then he had his one chance with landscaping...didn't show up. the other thing about prison is everything is kinda done for you so when thing aren't on the outside you don't know how to deal with structure. It's one thing to be 18,19,20 years old and screw up. But what do you really do with someone in their 30's or older with a recent record. How can you be 55+ years old and deal drugs Obviously they should know better but then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut