Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 09:43 PM

34,152 posts, read 17,220,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
Yeah, but most people that follow simple rules will not end up in poverty. There are studies on this. Get married before kids, have a full time job and don’t have kids before 21.

I do think we could have some sort of an incentive program for single moms. Like after the first one get a 10 year IUD and the state will help pay for an apartment in a nicer area.
Interesting idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 10:17 PM

21,669 posts, read 31,337,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Tough to pinpoint exact causes in a trying year with mostly unprecedented and extenuating circumstances. Lots of moving parts. Many variables. It's complicated. Lots going on. Tough to put a finger on anything and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
It’s not that difficult. Nation vilifies police. Police stop being proactive across the board. Crime skyrockets, with increases higher than ever in such a short period of time. Very simple stuff.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s not that difficult. Nation vilifies police. Police stop being proactive across the board. Crime skyrockets, with increases higher than ever in such a short period of time. Very simple stuff.
It was predictable. Reminded me of late 70s/80s NYC era. For those like I who never want a Bernie Goetz style incident (self defense, not mass transit necessarily) incident in Ct, NY, anywhere again, the concede we cannot keep it safe created the environment here in which a BG event occurs.

It can occur anywhere..even in Ct. I hope it never does, but restoring the ability of police to enforce all laws is a prereq to law and order in Ct, as well as populated cities nationally and suburbs.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:20 AM

7,088 posts, read 3,843,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't work in politics or the law. My tenacious man to man D would have Michael Jordan throwing up bricks before I would ever be able to successfully debate an expert in the field on those issues.
I look at the bigger picture. It's all that you described, pandemic, unemployhment, lockdowns, economy. A multitude of variables forming the perfect storm.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:18 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,440,865 times
I just read that this particular case was a gun trade gone wrong.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:24 AM

2,498 posts, read 4,738,396 times
Quote:
Inner city crime has been around forever and always will be and there isn't anything anyone can do about it .
Well, there’s plenty that can be done about it, but the answer is not the popular, reinforcing, politically correct response that people want to hear: First and foremost, common sense and personal responsibility. Now, I understand that Americans increasingly want affirmation over information, but that’s not where the answer lies. The people unrepentantly engaging in thuggish, criminal behavior have been doing so for some time, and it’s done nothing to improve their station in life. Maybe it’s time to try civility and conducting themselves with respect — respect for themselves, and more importantly, respect for others. They have nothing to lose by doing so.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, there’s plenty that can be done about it, but the answer is not the popular, reinforcing, politically correct response that people want to hear: First and foremost, common sense and personal responsibility. Now, I understand that Americans increasingly want affirmation over information, but that’s not where the answer lies. The people unrepentantly engaging in thuggish, criminal behavior have been doing so for some time, and it’s done nothing to improve their station in life. Maybe it’s time to try civility and conducting themselves with respect — respect for themselves, and more importantly, respect for others. They have nothing to lose by doing so.
Amen.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:13 PM

7,088 posts, read 3,843,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Maybe it’s time to try civility and conducting themselves with respect — respect for themselves, and more importantly, respect for others. They have nothing to lose by doing so.
Amen +1
Hard to argue that. Makes sense. That's what the original plan called for. That's how they drew it up.
Tough to get 8 billion humans to comply though.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:37 AM

7,941 posts, read 7,855,675 times
In most respects I think some of the issues with police aren't in the northeast. We have a fair amount of an educated population. Granted yes there's some things that can be done. Personally I think a combination of reopening the old mental health facilities would be a good thing. That with increased standards for cops (which can add compensation) can add up.

We live in a more complex world and frankly police cannot assess as situation like they did in the past. I've heard of situations where people that are deaf were shot because some dumbass thought it was a gang sign. What if some diabetic has low blood sugar and they have a seizure. Maybe they have some lunch wrapped in foil, someone sees light reflecting and they think it's a knife. They call cops and say someone is swinging a knife around and well think about it. How about some dumb kids that painted over toy guns to look real...again dumb mistake.

There's a good book called Arrest Proof Yourself. Some of it is really basic stuff but it showed lots of little things that get people pulled over can have huge issues. Don't keep drugs in a car. I'd argue keep as little in there as possible. If it looks like something is under a blanket or tinted windows that's going to be more of an incentive to search, especially in a larger car. Slowly get registration in a glove box (that's where most handguns are and any cop knows this).

I would argue many small town cops might not know about how to deal with more diverse issues. Knowing another language can be a world of difference. At the same point down south you might have judges that get elected and throw out cases to win votes, fortunately that doesn't happen up here.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:18 AM

748 posts, read 774,049 times
Quote:
Nah, single mom that cares isn't moving to Glastonbury on a McJob or cleaning houses. Stuck.
Dad was out the back door faster than he was in it.
There are plenty of affordable non violent towns in CT. Bristol, new briatin, East hartford, Meriden ....etc

Plenty of single moms raising kids has made it from poverty.

There are people who came to this country with nothing and faced more obstacles that has made it.

Excuses will you get nowhere, people who enable and defend these excuses just making the situation worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut