Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 07:43 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I know, right. The hell with these poor people and all the programs they get. F'em. Let em' rot.
What gives them the right. They get to live it up in a lap of luxury in public housing with rats and cockroaches while I'm stuck out on the Sound filling up a 300 gallon tank with marine fossil fuels tonite. The Gov should be paying for it. Why should I pay for it.
Steve....you are the government....the taxpayer.

Many of these people live with section 8. Private homes. Not rat or roach infested. Shades of grey.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 08:08 AM

712 posts, read 757,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You just said again that welfare comes out of the state budget.

This is like an Abbott & Costello routine. Except they were actually funny.
Did I say fed welfare come out of state gov't?
You already knew what I was talking about, but you keep talking about some stupid definition of the word trying to avoid the topic at hand because that's the only way you can keep arguing.

AGAIN, can you answer how are these people underserved when they are receiving all these benefits from the gov't as well as from private institutions and non profits?

Last edited by wma152; 06-19-2021 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Steve....you are the government....the taxpayer.

Many of these people live with section 8. Private homes. Not rat or roach infested. Shades of grey.....
Some people know nothing about how these people live, because they get brainwashed by the media
and obsessed with their own agenda.

Same people that thinks there's a hunger/food insecurity issue because that's how the media portray it and spread their propaganda.

I live in hartford, I know first hand how the poor live.

Speaking of section 8, did you know a lot of these recipients profit off these programs. Not only they get practically free housing, they make money off it.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:45 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Why CT governor always follow what NYC, NJ or NY state government does CT not trend settler ?

https://www.nj.com/politics/2020/09/...lawmakers.html

Last edited by BPt111; 06-19-2021 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-19-2021, 09:33 AM

464 posts, read 312,010 times
I’d rather my tax dollars go to a single Mother with two kids that’s making minimum wage so they have shelter, food and a small chance at success then paying the wildly high government employee salaries, pensions and all the rest. There will always be wasted spending and yes, we are all the tax payers, but why some wealthy well off family in Westport needs to be that concerned with if some low income are “profiting” (like what, $5K, $10K) of government assistance is beyond me.

I flew out of Bradley the other day and I cannot imagine being the guy that cleans those bathrooms or the woman working at the Dunkin Donuts kiosk at 5am, in an airport, always busy, line of people constant, making $15/hour or less.

Thank goodness there are people who do these jobs, working harder than I’ll ever work with my cushy white collar WFH job. To think that we are concerned even a little bit about if someone is making a few extra bucks off the government, meanwhile your accountant and lawyer are scouring the tax code for anyway you can save a few bucks…

Old 06-19-2021, 12:32 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why CT governor always follow what NYC, NJ or NY state government does CT not trend settler ?

https://www.nj.com/politics/2020/09/...lawmakers.html
This is not quite the same really. The NJ Governor proposed a $1,000 bond for children born into families making less than $131,000. Connecticut’s plan is for children born under Medicaid which is a lot lower income. I’m guessing the NJ plan died since that was nine plus months ago and we haven’t heard more about it. Jay

Old 06-19-2021, 08:36 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
Did I say fed welfare come out of state gov't?
You already knew what I was talking about, but you keep talking about some stupid definition of the word trying to avoid the topic at hand because that's the only way you can keep arguing.

AGAIN, can you answer how are these people underserved when they are receiving all these benefits from the gov't as well as from private institutions and non profits?

I don't have the patience for this. You can believe what you want. If you think the poor have such a great existence in CT you should join them. Quit your job go down to a social service office and apply for every program. You can actually call 211 and have the forms sent to your house. Its about 18 pages.
So when you go to the office you'll be ahead of the game.

Now if your position is the poor in CT are adequately being served its your job to show the receipts not mine. That's how debates work.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:40 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
I’d rather my tax dollars go to a single Mother with two kids that’s making minimum wage so they have shelter, food and a small chance at success then paying the wildly high government employee salaries, pensions and all the rest. There will always be wasted spending and yes, we are all the tax payers, but why some wealthy well off family in Westport needs to be that concerned with if some low income are “profiting” (like what, $5K, $10K) of government assistance is beyond me.

I flew out of Bradley the other day and I cannot imagine being the guy that cleans those bathrooms or the woman working at the Dunkin Donuts kiosk at 5am, in an airport, always busy, line of people constant, making $15/hour or less.

Thank goodness there are people who do these jobs, working harder than I’ll ever work with my cushy white collar WFH job. To think that we are concerned even a little bit about if someone is making a few extra bucks off the government, meanwhile your accountant and lawyer are scouring the tax code for anyway you can save a few bucks…

You will often see the people who work these jobs waiting for buses on RT 75. Its unfortunate they can't even afford to live close by, and Windsor Locks is not expensive, so that says a lot.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't have the patience for this. You can believe what you want. If you think the poor have such a great existence in CT you should join them. Quit your job go down to a social service office and apply for every program. You can actually call 211 and have the forms sent to your house. Its about 18 pages.
So when you go to the office you'll be ahead of the game.

Now if your position is the poor in CT are adequately being served its your job to show the receipts not mine. That's how debates work.
Nah, not me, because some people wants to contribute to society by working hard versus sitting back and do nothing for themselves and just takes from society.

If they find getting free sh 1 t is so horrible, maybe they shouldn't even apply. That's how ungrateful people should be dealt with. I know if I do something good for someone, and they are ungrateful or complain, the hell with them.

I don't need to show anything, because it's public information and easily obtained information on how much money the gov't, private institutions, non-profits and private citizens give to the poor.

But if the media and politicians are going to brainwash people by claiming underserved this or that, they need to be called out.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:34 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Work hard is subjective, not an absolute. If you think raw unskilled labor has a future it does not regardless of class. No one really "takes" from society. Money is printed up because if the fed ran ONLY on what was paid in we'd have to cut things significantly and a deficit would be impossible.

No one brags about living in public housing. Most of the time it's basic housing, nothing flashy.

Section 8 is a voucher system and acceptance means that the terms of the lease are based on the local housing authority. It might not be legal for a landlord to say they deny section 8 as a form of income. At the same point the landlord has no obligation to lower rents to make up for the difference. Let's say a rent is $1,000 a month. Section 8 pays $600. Ok fine the tenant has to pay the other $400. There's no obligation to actually lower the rent. I lived in a complex that although they never said they would deny section 8 no one really lived in there with it due to the amount (now about $1350). One manager told me by the time they see the rents and the amount their voucher would pay they wouldn't be able to afford the rest. Section 8 is not free money it comes with many stipulations.

The argument with social programs isn't so much that we are spending xyz amount but rather prevention. Here's a really simple one. Fluoride. It isn't expensive but sometimes you see urban areas that might not have it. Fluoride is a easy public good that improves dental health. It's easier to mandate that in a water supply rather than have medicade pay for braces and cavity treatments for kids. Dental care is expensive but prevention is far cheaper. some might say just brush the kids teeth and I get that but at the same point anything made with water that has fluoride in it compounds with the dental health of those that have it.

Pain and suffering is a bit hard to argue about when it comes to quality of life. If you live in public housing and say are relatively health and the elevator is out it might not be that big of a deal to go up a few flights of stairs. If you live on a 10th floor then it obviously is.

The media brainwashing people? On what exactly and how do you prove that? Can there be areas with limited food access? Sure but it depends on how you rank it. Sometimes I find people just look at larger chains and not smaller stores. So a Big Y or Stop and Shop gets counted for access but not say...C Town.

Again if you want to use welfare as a generic term please name the programs. there's housing assistance, phone assistance, assistance for food, single parents etc. You can't just lump it all into one because there are often income limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut