Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 08:27 PM

6,969 posts, read 3,788,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Unless they increase class size it won't have much effect, other than for the few students
Probably not
For every Jodie Foster, they'll be a thousand Joe Schmos go through the program for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 08:38 PM

4,470 posts, read 3,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Again, it's definitely a boon for the School. Also, YSD has long been one of the premier drama schools in the world so it was already getting the most talented applicants and offering substantial financial aid awards to those who needed it. This will attract more applicants and allow for more economic diversity in the student body but you can't get too much more picky than a 5.4% acceptance rate.
Did you read the article?

"Removing the tuition barrier will allow an even greater diversity of talented people to develop and hone their skills in front of, on, and behind Yale’s stages."
https://news.yale.edu/2021/06/30/gif...s-tuition-free

Yes the YSD is great but now it will be even better with Geffen's endowment with more creative & talented individuals. The "depth of the bench" will be even greater than before.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:01 PM

1,241 posts, read 906,085 times
Yes, I read the article. I acknowledged it will likely increase the economic diversity of the applicants in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Did you read the article?

"Removing the tuition barrier will allow an even greater diversity of talented people to develop and hone their skills in front of, on, and behind Yale’s stages."
https://news.yale.edu/2021/06/30/gif...s-tuition-free

Yes the YSD is great but now it will be even better with Geffen's endowment with more creative & talented individuals. The "depth of the bench" will be even greater than before.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:06 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,190,182 times
Most of the students are already on scholarships.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:38 AM

464 posts, read 313,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Most of the students are already on scholarships.
Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:32 AM

331 posts, read 208,702 times
Awesome, most drama degrees don’t pay much I imagine.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:28 PM

34,979 posts, read 57,065,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Plymouth Rock Studios was proposed for Plymouth, MA in 2008 and never got off the ground.

Southfield Studios was proposed for the South Weymouth Naval Air Station around 2009 and never materialized.

New England Studios opened in 2013 in Devens, MA on a portion of the old Ft. Devens. It has (4) 18,000 sq. ft. sound stages, 50,000 sq. ft. of support space, and full lighting and grip equipment.

CT does have film tax credits.
Connecticut has a number of studios around the state. I believe the largest is Sonalysts Studio in Waterford which has five sound stages. A number of major productions have been filmed there including Deal or No Deal. I think the new Hallmark movie staring Justin Hartley is filming there.

It seems like a nice way to grow the industry here between the highly regarded Yale School of Drama and the productions being filmed here. Jay

https://www.productionhub.com/direct...us/connecticut

Old 07-02-2021, 02:43 PM

9,895 posts, read 7,243,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut has a number of studios around the state. I believe the largest is Sonalysts Studio in Waterford which has five sound stages. A number of major productions have been filmed there including Deal or No Deal. I think the new Hallmark movie staring Justin Hartley is filming there.

It seems like a nice way to grow the industry here between the highly regarded Yale School of Drama and the productions being filmed here. Jay

https://www.productionhub.com/direct...us/connecticut
I went through the list at your link and Sonalysts and Onetenstudio are the only ones active. Sonalysts is similar in size and scope to New England Studio and Oneten is a single stage in a barn which is kind of cool.

NBCUniversal has it's Stamford Media Center with two studios where such great television productions such as Maury, Judge Jerry, and The Doctors are filmed.

I'm sure there are more since FFC is so close the NYC.

There are plans for a new facility - Jaigantic Studios - planned for New Haven.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:54 PM

6,969 posts, read 3,788,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I went through the list at your link and Sonalysts and Onetenstudio are the only ones active. Sonalysts is similar in size and scope to New England Studio and Oneten is a single stage in a barn which is kind of cool.

NBCUniversal has it's Stamford Media Center with two studios where such great television productions such as Maury, Judge Jerry, and The Doctors are filmed.

I'm sure there are more since FFC is so close the NYC.

There are plans for a new facility - Jaigantic Studios - planned for New Haven.
The YES Network also has it's studios in Stamford. That's the channel that shows the crappy Yankees.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:57 AM

9,895 posts, read 7,243,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The YES Network also has it's studios in Stamford. That's the channel that shows the crappy Yankees.
But that's not the same as a soundstage for use by others. NESN has it's studios in Newton, MA - I'm not including them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut