Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 03:13 PM

18 posts, read 22,350 times

Advertisements

Ok, yikes! Maybe then the septic tank is not where I'd want to compromise (as I'm sure I'm not getting everything on my wish list).

I have family in New Jersey that have well water and every shower I've ever taken there has been miserable so that's on the "no thanks" list for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 04:33 PM

464 posts, read 312,668 times
Well and septic is wonderful while it works, but when it doesn’t, yikes

Old 08-17-2021, 05:47 PM

4,458 posts, read 3,353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is untrue. Sewers may now be available to many residents in Trumbull, but a very large percentage of homes are not connected, and still have septic tanks. A quick look at homes between 590k and 610k in Trumbull (the OP’s price range) confirms this.
It is irrelevant how many houses you found without sewers for sale. Once a house without sewers is sold IT MUST BE connected to the main sewer lines. See attached. The difference between my town and all the others towns with septic is those houses don't have the option to hook to main sewer lines like Trumbull. As a town we voted to pay for the sewers for everyone**. We thought it would add value to our town.....although some people were really pissed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrumbullSewer.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	231261

I know all about the sewers running through the entire town.....I had to help pay for the main pipes on all the roads about 10 years ago when they put the main pipes in the entire town.

**That is one of the reasons the taxes are high here. Once that bonding is paid the taxes should actually go down hopefully a bit. I am friends with someone who was on the zoning board at that time. I will ask him about the bonding for the sewers and when it will be paid.

So Ladybug if you are looking for a house in Trumbull that can give you some bargaining room if the sewers are not hooked up. I am sure they have to disclose that to the buyer. I don't understand why it is not in the descriptions on the real estate sites.

Last edited by CTartist; 08-17-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 06:59 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
It is irrelevant how many houses you found without sewers for sale. Once a house without sewers is sold IT MUST BE connected to the main sewer lines. See attached. The difference between my town and all the others towns with septic is those houses don't have the option to hook to main sewer lines like Trumbull. As a town we voted to pay for the sewers for everyone**. We thought it would add value to our town.....although some people were really pissed.
Attachment 231261

I know all about the sewers running through the entire town.....I had to help pay for the main pipes on all the roads about 10 years ago when they put the main pipes in the entire town.

**That is one of the reasons the taxes are high here. Once that bonding is paid the taxes should actually go down hopefully a bit. I am friends with someone who was on the zoning board at that time. I will ask him about the bonding for the sewers and when it will be paid.

So Ladybug if you are looking for a house in Trumbull that can give you some bargaining room if the sewers are not hooked up. I am sure they have to disclose that to the buyer. I don't understand why it is not in the descriptions on the real estate sites.
Your comment was “every home in Trumbull is now connected to the sewers”. That is untrue. If what you’re saying is factual (all transactions require new homes to connect), new buyers will have to foot the bill to comply with the town. That’s an additional expense some may not expect to pay, but you’re correct that it can give be a good bargaining tool.

OP, if you don’t mind spending some dough to connect to a sewer when buying a secondhand home (no idea how much that would cost, but I’m guessing in the thousands), Trumbull may not be too bad. Home prices there are a bargain compared to places like Fairfield, Norwalk and Stamford.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:06 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is untrue. Sewers may now be available to many residents in Trumbull, but a very large percentage of homes are not connected, and still have septic tanks. A quick look at homes between 590k and 610k in Trumbull (the OP’s price range) confirms this.

I would say a 36k town would be small to someone coming from NYC. YMMV.
That is most likely an anomaly of the homes available for sale that actual fact. Much of Trumbull falls in the Pequonock River Valley which drains into Bridgeport to the south. The river had very poor water quality because of failing septics and industrial waste. To clean it up a major sewer trunkline was installed along the river. A couple decades ago now, Trumbull very aggressively installed sewers feeding into the trunkline.

Anytime sewers are installed, Connecticut law and town ordinances require hookup unless a waiver is granted. Waivers though must be for a really good reason like you having a newer septic system. Financial limitations may also provide a waiver of the septic system is operating properly. All that goes out the window when the property is sold. They figure if you can afford to buy a home, you can afford to pay to have it connected to sewers. Otherwise if you didn’t have those laws, you’d never see every home connected.

The point is that there are no towns that are fully sewered. The OP shouldn’t dismiss Trumbull because several listing are on septic. There are septic systems in every town. They need to carefully check each listing to be sure it has public sewer and water. It can vary from house to house. Jay

Old 08-17-2021, 07:15 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,754,471 times
This Draconian measure by Trumbull has been talked about here previously. It's a black stain on the town if you ask me. I'd look elsewhere but hey if you could swing a good deal, great, it is more affordable. I don't know if the market will support that though if its too hot.
Best

Old 08-17-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
This Draconian measure by Trumbull has been talked about here previously. It's a black stain on the town if you ask me. I'd look elsewhere but hey if you could swing a good deal, great, it is more affordable. I don't know if the market will support that though if its too hot.
Best
I agree. No thank you.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:39 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Best
If you mean the requirement to connect to sewers, this is not just limited to Trumbull. It’s a statewide law. Without it towns would not have sufficient revenue to pay the bonds they issue to build sewers let alone maintain them and the sewage plant. When Fairfield installed their trunkline up the Mill River Valley about 45 years ago, there was a similar requirement. Several family members and close friends were required to hookup even though there was nothing wrong with their septic.

Funny story, my parents best friends for years were having problems with their septic system. It would “daylight” water if they used it too much like running the washer and taking a shower at the same time. They were ecstatic when they heard sewers were coming to their street in Fairfield Woods. The only thing was, the sewer line stopped about five houses away from their. Their house drained to the Mill River Valley trunkline that was at least five years away from being constructed. I was a kid but suggested they and their neighbors petition the town to install a small pump station at the end of their street to serve their homes. These owners even offered to pay for it separately but the town refused. They ended up fixing their septic at a considerable price. Five years later they were told they could get a waiver because their septic was only five years old. They said “no way” and in fact we’re the very first one to connect to the new sewer when it was installed on their end of their street. They were done worrying about septic. Jay

Old 08-17-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you mean the requirement to connect to sewers, this is not just limited to Trumbull. It’s a statewide law. Without it towns would not have sufficient revenue to pay the bonds they issue to build sewers let alone maintain them and the sewage plant. When Fairfield installed their trunkline up the Mill River Valley about 45 years ago, there was a similar requirement. Several family members and close friends were required to hookup even though there was nothing wrong with their septic.

Funny story, my parents best friends for years were having problems with their septic system. It would “daylight” water if they used it too much like running the washer and taking a shower at the same time. They were ecstatic when they heard sewers were coming to their street in Fairfield Woods. The only thing was, the sewer line stopped about five houses away from their. Their house drained to the Mill River Valley trunkline that was at least five years away from being constructed. I was a kid but suggested they and their neighbors petition the town to install a small pump station at the end of their street to serve their homes. These owners even offered to pay for it separately but the town refused. They ended up fixing their septic at a considerable price. Five years later they were told they could get a waiver because their septic was only five years old. They said “no way” and in fact we’re the very first one to connect to the new sewer when it was installed on their end of their street. They were done worrying about septic. Jay
Any idea on the cost to connect, should the OP find a home in Trumbull they like?

Old 08-17-2021, 07:52 PM

2,140 posts, read 362,475 times
I was born on the border around there, and grew up in the lovely, semi-rural area.

I’m sure it’s not as bad as where I was, but please look into the tick situation - really look. I’m sure you’ll be fine and I hope you find what you’re looking for.

The high end blue blood horse farms and wealthy realtors probably won’t mention it. I just suggest you inform yourself about it. It may not be an issue any more, but the epidemic of multiple diseases (my mom had three, nearly died) was scary several years years ago and I believe the population grew so fast was linked to climate change, but I haven’t looked at the info lately.

I don’t mean to scare you - I just think it’s worth being cognizant of where these monsters are apt to be and don’t go there - doing certain types of landscaping can be really helpful.

I’m sure you’ll be fine, just a heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut