Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 08:16 AM

512 posts, read 354,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Public sewers can and do fail. While it won’t be likely early on it can happen. No system is perfect.
This. It isn't like you now live a worry free life because your house is hooked up to a sewer line Also, I never realized people were that freaked out by septic. I can certainly see having a preference one way or the other but there is sound engineering behind septic if it is properly installed, has adequate leaching fields, etc.

To answer CTartist's question, septic systems can last decades upon decades (40+ years). Usually failure before that is because of poor installation (design or location) or homeowner negligence (not doing regular pump and inspections, putting stuff they shouldn't down the drain).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 08:17 AM

21,825 posts, read 28,202,351 times
I think we've run the course on the sewer discussion. Please return to the topic.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:55 AM

35,031 posts, read 57,124,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Go look at my post #33. I think some people are missing the point below.

About 10 years ago Trumbull put the main line sewers IN THE ENTIRE TOWN even in the 1 acre areas so EVERYONE in the town could hook up.

Everyone in the town was required to hook up but if you just put a new septic in you didn't have too you could get a waiver. But once the house is sold THE HOUSE IS REQUIRED TO BE HOOKED UP.

So if you are buying a house in Trumbull on 1 acre IT WILL BE HOOKED UP TO THE SEWER LINE.

This is from the town of Trumbull. Read what is in the blue outlined box and you can see it. For some reason I can't attach the picture here but it is on my post #33.
I did miss that you said the entire Town of Trumbull but I think you are wrong about that. I know Trumbull has completed a massive sewer project that installed sewers in a large part of town but I don’t think it installed them throughout the entire town. Even the town’s WPCA website says sewers are not available throughout the entire town.

https://www.trumbull-ct.gov/294/Wate...Authority-WPCA

I’m not sure where you got that letter but it was not necessarily sent to every property owner in town. It was likely only sent to property owners on streets where sewers have been installed. It doesn’t make financial sense to put sewers in less dense areas where there are few problems with septic systems. It’s a lot more expensive and in some cases may not be reasonably possible from an engineering standpoint. Jay

Old 08-19-2021, 08:58 AM

35,031 posts, read 57,124,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think we've run the course on the sewer discussion. Please return to the topic.
I was in the middle of responding when you posted this warning. I think now we can return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 08-19-2021, 09:07 AM

7,008 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I did miss that you said the entire Town of Trumbull but I think you are wrong about that. I know Trumbull has completed a massive sewer project that installed sewers in a large part of town but I don’t think it installed them throughout the entire town. Even the town’s WPCA website says sewers are not available throughout the entire town.

https://www.trumbull-ct.gov/294/Wate...Authority-WPCA

I’m not sure where you got that letter but it was not necessarily sent to every property owner in town. It was likely only sent to property owners on streets where sewers have been installed. It doesn’t make financial sense to put sewers in less dense areas where there are few problems with septic systems. It’s a lot more expensive and in some cases may not be reasonably possible from an engineering standpoint. Jay
It's on topic. The OP asked. Placing a call to Town Hall might get the job done if they're contemplating the area.
This makes much more sense and a failure on a large rural lot is the private owner's problem and resposibility. Other residents won't care or even know about it.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:59 AM

18 posts, read 22,387 times
So, I've been researching all of your suggestions and have a few front-runners. Currently, I've taken an interest in Wallingford (as JayCT had suggested). It seems to tick most of the boxes. Is there anything to know about that town that a realtor might not tell me?

Old 08-22-2021, 11:31 AM

21,825 posts, read 28,202,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug316 View Post
So, I've been researching all of your suggestions and have a few front-runners. Currently, I've taken an interest in Wallingford (as JayCT had suggested). It seems to tick most of the boxes. Is there anything to know about that town that a realtor might not tell me?
The good: all the big box shopping you’ll need, walkable town center, low electricity rates, good value, near New Haven for city life.

Personally, I don’t love the center but that’s a matter of taste. Schools are OK but won’t be an issue for you.

It an appropriate town for a 300-400k budget.

I’d definitely check it out first, along with other towns.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:44 AM

21,660 posts, read 31,301,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The good: all the big box shopping you’ll need, walkable town center, low electricity rates, good value, near New Haven for city life.

Personally, I don’t love the center but that’s a matter of taste. Schools are OK but won’t be an issue for you.

It an appropriate town for a 300-400k budget.

I’d definitely check it out first, along with other towns.
I agree here. Wallingford is a solid middle class town. Nice neighborhoods, safe, close to everything, schools aren’t bad. I’ve always liked it.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:02 PM

1,241 posts, read 907,674 times
I lived in Wallingford-on the east side-for five years and loved the town. I could walk to the YMCA, all the restaurants downtown and the library. Very reasonable cost of living and having the town-owned electric company was a huge plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug316 View Post

Old 08-23-2021, 06:25 AM

543 posts, read 334,479 times
Another benefit of Wallingford having it's own electric company other than the low rates, is when power does go out they are usually some of the first to get it restored since they only have to worry about their own town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut