Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 10:40 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Before the pandemic Connecticut’s unemployment rate was 3.7% which is considered full employment. Also look closer at the chart you posted (better yet look at the link below, it’s clearer). Our unemployment rate was generally at or below the US average from February 2016 until the pandemic hit. That’s five years. Jay

https://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/unemploymentrate.asp
We are still 45th right now, though, and that is putrid. What bugs me more is the gap vs US is 1.7%, which is huge. The 51st worse is ONLY .4% worse than Ct.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 08-20-2021 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You apparently do not know what “VERY liberal” is. Look at the examples I gave and see just how liberal politicians can get. Lamont is no where near them. Jay
The rest are not Connecticut residents, so they do not matter. AOC comes from a luny far left state. Try thinking of 5 prior Ct governors who would sign the crime erasure bill , the police bill, or the zoning by state rules bill.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:11 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The rest are not Connecticut residents, so they do not matter. AOC comes from a luny far left state. Try thinking of 5 prior Ct governors who would sign the crime erasure bill , the police bill, or the zoning by state rules bill.
Again you are judging Lamont from the right so of course you think he’s liberal. I am judging him from a more moderate position and looking at what the far left can be. Senator Elizabeth Warren is from Massachusetts so it’s not impossible for Connecticut to one day have a leading politician that is that liberal. I don’t think Lamont is. You certainly would not see his fiscal conservancy or his more business friendly position. Jay

Old 08-21-2021, 04:20 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great!
I have not been following closely and did not know there was a spec election. Taking The House and maintaining The Senate is critical in 2022. And in 2024 ....... well, you know.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:33 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Kind of sad that such a right wing extremist was elected. Appears to be against the ACA, actions to prevent Covid, reproductive rights, and gay marriage. Unclear if he supports a violent overthrow via force of the US government as do many Republicans across the nation.

It will be interesting to see if he gets reelected when turnout is far greater for a general election.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:04 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Kind of sad that such a right wing extremist was elected. Appears to be against the ACA, actions to prevent Covid, reproductive rights, and gay marriage. Unclear if he supports a violent overthrow via force of the US government as do many Republicans across the nation.

It will be interesting to see if he gets reelected when turnout is far greater for a general election.
Except for this poster am I the only one here that doesn't think this is "great news"?

Old 08-21-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually, it’s one sex crime (impairing the morals of a child) and yes it will fall under the erasure category. There is also the knee jerk police accountability bill and the zoning bill. Those three were passed in a mere six months, and all were due to left wing pressure. None of those bills are of a moderate nature - not one.
All signed by "moderate (sar) Lamont.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:36 AM

331 posts, read 207,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post

I am a democrat. I have always voted democrat and donated monthly to different campaigns nationwide. Crime is important to me, anyone that votes for bills that help felons with zero regard to victims does not get my vote.

Democrats have their own issues too. The fantasy that biological sex isn’t real or doesn’t matter, that abortions up to 9 months is reasonable, and that children need masks when they’re not likely to suffer any serious symptoms. There’s also the months of summer r10ts with Bl* while children were out of school. DTP slogans while crime increased and other issues in regard to the border.

Does this make me a Republican? heck no. I just realize that voting in the primary for moderates is important and going forward I’m ignoring the letter next to the name on the ballot and focusing on policy. Just because someone is a democrat doesn’t mean they have my family’s best interest at heart.

One party rule isn’t a good thing, especially when that party doesn’t try to work with the other side.

A good resource on death and age regarding COVID.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#SexAndAge

Last edited by JayCT; 08-22-2021 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Removed Calling Out Moderator

Old 08-22-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Great!
I have not been following closely and did not know there was a spec election. Taking The House and maintaining The Senate is critical in 2022. And in 2024 ....... well, you know.
The GOP in Ct, just like the nation, will face an electorate clamoring for change November, 2022 after the nation has seen itself embarrassed facing an epic humanitarian disaster in Afghanistan. Now Ct Dems will outperform the nation as we are a left-wing state, but it will be a far uglier climate for Dems versus normal years. I abhor the horrors we are witnessing due to Biden, but it does severely change the political climate.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:20 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
Sure Bob, but did that God awful and at one time unimaginable scene at our nation's Capitol on 1/6 give you confidence that the GOP will be able to rein in that rabble on the right instead of kowtowing to it? I've only seen a few GOP willing to take a stand so no, I don't have ANY confidence. Y'all worry about Afghanistan and I do too but also I worry that it's a blueprint for what we are starting to see here. People in big trucks with their tribal caste flags rolling down the road menacing other drivers. How is that different? People wanting to jam their minority religious tenets into laws to control, instead of seeking religious or personal freedoms. How is that different? GOP mouthpieces actually supporting Qanon that has made so many Americans non-functional, my sister among them. Nope.

I used to cross vote but now it's nearly impossible. I think people have given up on America, preferring to make it their way or the highway. This is the last time I'm talking politics here but New England is ONE OF THE LAST PLACES IN AMERICA where there is still some community left, where the loud angry voices aren't EVERYWHERE, where rule of law, reasonableness and civility are still considered honorable and I'm seeing conditions deteriorate here now. The angry voices are starting to dominate. In three short years. In Killingworth people screaming into cars at the traffic circle. Where did that come from?

I'm not worried about the more looney actors of the left. They are not trying to make me gay or force another sex on me. No one that isn't seeking an abortion is forced to have one and laws LIMIT the timeframe for those seeking abortion, MOST around 10-12 weeks unless there are medically extenuating circumstances. And since my great grandparents on my mothers side were immigrants, I have an open mind regarding immigration and equality in the USA.

I'm so damn tired of it.

Make America great again? Not what I'm seeing, as a woman, as a small business owner, as a political moderate.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 08-23-2021 at 05:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut